DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×
How to contact Customer Service Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DiRTy Forumers League

My Mitsu with mostly stock setup just imploded when 2nd half started, i probably shouldn't have super pushed the night stage without headlights, airborne headbutted a tree. :D

Yeah, I had some substantial damage and warnings, too, even without such brutal crashes. I guess I had the right speed for my abilities. If I had tried to go any faster, I would have surely ended up chasing squirrels.

Surprisingly enough I actually kind of enjoyed the spongescooby in Finland. I hope you will too @BadD0g :-) It was very predictable and quite grippy. Go #TeamSubaru !!

Not too much to say about my runs. No major incidents, some smaller ones that lost me 2-3 seconds here and there. Slowed down on the last two stages since I didn't want to crasch by some stupid overconfidence idiocy (which I nearly did anyway on the final stage :-P ).

Well done. Your run definitely put things into perspective. I better have some room for improvement...

Yeah, @Dytut, I did enjoy the car this time round. It was actually predictable, as it was in Greece. I stiffened up the dampers a tad to help with the landings, but otherwise I kept it the same. It's got a lot more grip than it seems, you can recover from a lot of stupid stuff if you just crank the wheel and mash the throttle.

The first stage actually felt really great, and much to my surprise I took 3rd! Not something I was expecting to do in this car. Sadly, on the next stage, the rally gods threw me back down to last where I belong, after a few big mistakes. First I went wide over a jump and hit a telephone pole with the side of the car, and near the end I skimmed over the edge of a ditch and got launched into the trees. That one was particularly frustrating, I get why hitting a ditch would screw you up in real life, but I felt like a little bit of the Scoobilydoobily's bottoming out problem was in play there. Worse though, after coming to a stop in the trees, Paul said "Right rear's gone. Left rear puncture." Yep, that's TWO, count 'em, TWO punctures in one crash. Ugh.

The rest of the stages were full of crashes, but none as major as those. Most were just me going wide trying to make up time and spinning a bit. Snaky's retirement was the only thing keeping me out of 5th. There was no way I would have been able to catch @YoMrWhite, even if I didn't crash, I was just too far back and my pace isn't good enough.

This has been a polarizing season so far. At first, I was hopeful that I could learn the car, then I hated it, then I loved it, and now I feel like I could be competitive if I could just stop crashing, but that never seems to happen in this league. The pressure just gets to me since I'm so far off the competition. I don't crash much in other leagues, so I know it's possible, I just have to make it happen.

That's usually the case for me aswell. First I find the speed (and crash a lot), then I try to get consistent at that speed. Then rinse and repeat :-)

What's bugging me now is how to set up the car for Germany. Too soft on tarmac usually just results in going real slow, so need to stiffen it up some way.

Dytut said:
What's bugging me now is how to set up the car for Germany. Too soft on tarmac usually just results in going real slow, so need to stiffen it up some way.
Stiffen it fully, lower it fully, max negative camber, lock the diffs a lot, power bias to the rear and shorten the gears a bit. Works really well for any tarmac stuff.

Even default middleground stiffness in Monte was unpredictable as hell, so not sure I dare going too low or stiff. Going to try both soft and hard in the shakedown and see how it feels, but the scooby is scary when it's low.

Dytut said:
Even default middleground stiffness in Monte was unpredictable as hell, so not sure I dare going too low or stiff. Going to try both soft and hard in the shakedown and see how it feels, but the scooby is scary when it's low.
Well, I've made a setup for the Scoobie for Germany. It's on the Workshop, check it out if you want @Dytut . That also includes @BadD0g naturally ;)

Make sure you're comfortable with the brake pressure. Although I adjusted it for non-ABS usage, if you find the wheels to lock up that bit too quickly on some sections, just put it one tick to the left. Default strength just isn't good enough IMO, car definitely takes a lot longer to stop then.

I scored 6:08 with it on Ruschberg with being rather... I don't know, wouldn't call it pushing, but I wasn't also careful and the car was fully predictable. If you want lighter steering though, try making the center diff more loose. Gearing can be shorter for that side of Germany as well. With a push I could reach 6:05-6:04, but would be a really big push. Evo is just so much faster on tarmac as I score 6:04 with quite few noticeable mistakes.

Dytut said:
Well, I've made a setup for the Scoobie for Germany. It's on the Workshop, check it out if you want @Dytut . That also includes @BadD0g naturally ;)

Make sure you're comfortable with the brake pressure. Although I adjusted it for non-ABS usage, if you find the wheels to lock up that bit too quickly on some sections, just put it one tick to the left. Default strength just isn't good enough IMO, car definitely takes a lot longer to stop then.

I scored 6:08 with it on Ruschberg with being rather... I don't know, wouldn't call it pushing, but I wasn't also careful and the car was fully predictable. If you want lighter steering though, try making the center diff more loose. Gearing can be shorter for that side of Germany as well. With a push I could reach 6:05-6:04, but would be a really big push. Evo is just so much faster on tarmac as I score 6:04 with quite few noticeable mistakes.
I'll definitely check it out and see how it feels, thanks :-) If it's that much slower it's going to be a hard time to even try to keep up with you in evos.

Dytut said:
I'll definitely check it out and see how it feels, thanks :-) If it's that much slower it's going to be a hard time to even try to keep up with you in evos.
Due to your high DOR, you shouldn't even try to do that. Honestly, for tarmac in DR, you should just stick to your comfortable pace for Monte and Germany and don't try going faster. Otherwise you'll crash out badly. Just like me and @Snaky115 are doing it for Sweden and Finland. We just do it on our pace and don't even bother trying to be competitive :D

Well I'll never stop trying :-P

Did a test setup and one run through ruschberg. Went pretty stiff and low but soft dampers, and got 6:14 on ruschberg. Felt pretty controllable, and 4-5s off that time felt doable. So while I won't expect to match you, I'll at least try to breathe down your necks and pounce on any mistake :-)

Dytut said:
Well I'll never stop trying :-P

Did a test setup and one run through ruschberg. Went pretty stiff and low but soft dampers, and got 6:14 on ruschberg. Felt pretty controllable, and 4-5s off that time felt doable. So while I won't expect to match you, I'll at least try to breathe down your necks and pounce on any mistake :-)
Once you stop trying, you stop improving. Then again... "Don't try, do or do not" xD

Try my setup there at least once. I do have my own way of nailing the anti roll bars setup, which helps with the understeer/oversteer a lot. Can greatly help with keeping the speed through corners. The steering may feel "heavy" at first, but given that Germany is basically straight->tight turn->straight->hairpin->straight, that shouldn't be much of a problem. Handbrake is always there to help as well :D

Had to finish off Germany this morning since it's the Swedish HEMA nationals the rest of the weekend. Got through it decently safe. Hade one incident where I clipped a hinkelstein with the back and spun, had to reverse back so lost maybe 10s from that. Otherwise it was on the safe side. Car was controllable, setup was pretty low and stiff but in retrospect the gearing was too long. I predict I'll be beaten by about 50 seconds by @Snaky115 and @RyuMakkuro unless you go for crash bonanza.

Dytut said:
Had to finish off Germany this morning since it's the Swedish HEMA nationals the rest of the weekend.
På HEMAplan?

eheheheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

No but seriously, what the fork is that?

Well, 2 spins, both on night stages, not the best Germany in overall for me, though could've been worse. I predict this one will go to @Snaky115 unless he'll make some ridiculous mistakes xD
Porkhammer said:
No but seriously, what the fork is that?
HEMA - Historical European Martial Arts

Won every single stage, happy with that. Did my damndest to get a Germany win.

Like in this video
https://youtu.be/iTrps9habMk
Love my own uphill turn at 4m 32s in that :D

I didn't have any fun in Germany. I got the setup feeling good and comfortable, and started off clean, but my driving got worse as the event went on as it has been these past 2 seasons, and I ended up in last with an almost 4 minute gap. Ugh.

That would have been a good rally if not for SS3. I lost the car under braking before a tight corner, had a half spin and got hit with an automatic reset. Obviously I touched some nearby spectator. The rest of the stage was less than stellar, too. The next five stages, I tried to fight back and reduced the deficit to @Dytut from 27 to 13 seconds, but it wasn't enough. On to Wales...

My aim for Wales was to simply finish it. You would imagine that in that case I would be going slowly and carefully, and you'd be right... for the first few seconds. After the first right "corner" I literally pushed it as hard as I could.

To my surprise it all went smoothly... is what I would like to type, but no. I was in for a full event of spin, puncture and rolls. I even managed to get stuck on a fence. No idea what they're making that fence from, but that has to be some tough stuff xD

Many stutters, 1 BSOD, 1 barrel roll, 3 crashes and 1 failed barrel roll later... 
Dat Bronfelen tho, wtf happened to everyone on Bronfelen? I had a failed barrel roll for a total of like 20-25 second loss, but i won by 40 seconds compared to Ryu or Arete. :D

First 3 if not 4 stages were quite fun, as i was using my favourite setup - Greece! ... wait...

Snaky115 said:
Dat Bronfelen tho, **** happened to everyone on Bronfelen?
Spin, puncture and roll. Roll had a 15s penalty to it since I got stuck in a ditch. That's what happened :p

I drove the worst I've ever driven wales, was completely awful. Couple that with a setup mistake that I forget to fix at the second AND third service and it was a recipe for disaster. Completed the run just to have done it.

When I was testing the setup I thought I'd try soft but with a harder sway bar to get a whee bit more oversteer. I drove like shit on the first two stages so I wasn't sure the sway bar had that great effect, but yeah. Any medium to high speed corner with bumps could just throw the back end out. 

Quick question about the next season. Start it immediately, give it a day of a rest or run Pikes Peak as a refresher?