Jump to content Jump to content

DiRTy Forumers League

RyuMakkuro

Wales went surprisingly smoothly this time. I did the usual suspension softening and just stayed focused on the drive rather than the times, and ended up in 3rd as of now, 1:49 down. The only crash I had was going a little wide  on a hairpin on Bidno, touching the soft grass, and getting violently jerked to the side (another case of the stupid janky bottoming out problem), and hitting the ad sign on the inside. Had to reverse, lost maybe 5 seconds at least.

My goal this season was to learn this car. Was I successful? A little, I know what to do to the suspension now to make it not garbage, but if I've learned anything it's that I just hate this car so, so much. Even if you get the suspension right, it still randomly bottoms out and sends you flying in wildly unrealistic ways. Why even drive it when the Evo is so much better set up, more consistent, better sounding, and not broken? The only advantage I can argue for the Subaru is the left-hand drive cockpit view. I'm glad to at least end on a positive note in Wales, but still, I wonder how I would have done with the Evo.

I gotta be honest guys, I don't think I'm going to compete next season. School started recently and I can tell the workload this semester is going to be really rough. I haven't been having as much fun lately, partly because I haven't been into the cars we've driven the past 2 seasons, but I think mostly because you guys are so much faster than me that I don't have any competition at my level. When you're 2-4 minutes behind and there's no way you can make that up with your pace, going through all 8 stages just to be in last is really kind of a drag, you know? It saps my motivation a bit. This is my favorite racing game, and I really don't want to be in a bad mood before I even start playing, especially when my time to play games is limited by schoolwork.

I've definitely improved since I joined (competing with such good opponents will do that to you), but I think it'll be best to take a break. Maybe taking some time off will help bring the motivation and competitive spirit back.
Well, another season went past. @Dytut and @Snaky115 literally swapped positions compared to last season, while I went for the "No retirements" strategy to secure a 1st place, although only by a small margin.
The 4th place on which @YoMrWhite usually sits unchallenged, this time was in not such a comfortable position as @BadD0g was literally in a shout of stealing the place. He had to make sure, just like me, to finish the Wales, which often can be easier said than done. Alas, he did manage that, (with a fever to that) and that place belongs to him once again. @Evilsmurf appeared in only one event securing only 10 points which naturally puts him at the end of the table. Hoping to see more of you in the next season as it is getting lonely here, bit by bit.

Ryu Makkuro - 115
Snaky115 - 108
Arete - 90
Daryl Willcox - 78
[Bad D0g] - 67
Evilsmurf - 10

Pikes Peak event is set up and should be available before this is even posted.

Next season will be the "Shaken, not Smoken" theme. After that will be "Look the death in the eyes". From that point onward the entire car selection will be available again ;)
BadD0g said:
Congrats to the winners! I think if I had gotten my poop in a group at Finland I could have had you, @YoMrWhite. I'll be forever grumpy about that two-puncture crash.

Well, next season will be your next chance, if you decide to be back. And I will again try to crack the top three. Sometimes it doesn't come cheap...
Grats to all, solid drive there @RyuMakkuro. Next season I'll do my damn best to not get any DNFs and give some threat to your 1st place spot!

Gave pikes peak a shot tonight, and yikes. I really have a hard time doing well there. Abandoned the first run after totalling the car, second run was slow but clean and I was looking at a sub 8 min run at least. Then I went off on the penultimate corner and got a reset...
Next season is configured, as usual if someone wants a full on explanation of the theme meaning, just say so.

As to Pikes Peak... well, I was in the middle of the 1st run while the game decided to crash. I naturally simply start the game again and... couldn't get back in... so no PP run for me. *goes and cries in the corner*
Dytut said:
As usual, couldn't keep up with @Snaky115 and will get my ass handed to me by @RyuMakkuro.
Hah, as much as I agree that would've been the case if I was in Focus '07... that's definitely not the case with Focus '01. '01 is a literal opposite of the '07. Not only does it want to slide everywhere, because it has so much torque it can keep the slide for eternity :D

In short, it's the least suitable car for Monte Carlo out of all the 2000s cars, while '07 due to how planted it is, is the most suitable car for it.

All that means that... I beat Snaky by barely over a second. Yes, I struggled a lot. Made quite few mistakes which slowed me down, stuck on a snowbank, spun on one hairpin, slow down to get the rear into check, those kind of things. It's literally a miracle I won it xD Well, at least I won't have such issues on all the other events :D

Monte Carlo was sort of uneventful. I hoped to challenge @Dytut for 3rd, but soon realized I was a few seconds down every stage. No real big mistakes, some small ones, but the speed just wasn't there. The Focus didn't feel bad, but not good either. After 3 or 4 stages I more or less cruised to the end, trying to avoid any punctures or worse. Timewise this didn't make any difference. Strange.

So, apparently, the little tweaking i did fixed most of the stutter everywhere except Sweden... and this Subaru is one of my better cars for driving Sweden actually fast...

Lost more than minute and a half due to that, ill just go cry in a corner now...
Don't think I've ever done Sweden in the subie, so just went for default setup and ran it. Felt like I could've gone a lot faster but I also know how the Subie default setup always goes from completely predictable to nightmare in a nanosecond when pushed. So 37 seconds up on @Snaky115 in the end. This is your chance to beat me in Sweden @RyuMakkuro :-)

Dytut said:
This is your chance to beat me in Sweden @RyuMakkuro :-)
I haven't played DR at all after the Monte Carlo, not sure even with the mystical Focus '01 I'll be able to pull that off. Need to do some stages with it, naturally not in Sweden, to get back the hang of the game.

Edit: Not sure what's going on, but I've lost over 10s on each stage on the half I'm best at... I've stopped after the 4th stage cause if you guys were having a bad time then what do I have? Also, snowbanks are just insane... I literally spun on the big straight twice...
Not sure if all those spuns cost me, or a slowbug struck me, but shit... that was incredibly slow for my standards. That or Impreza is just OP in Sweden and I can't ever hope to match it with Focus '01 which seems to be very slow there. Hoping it's the first thing.
Well, that happened. I'm not sure what was the cause of me being stupendously slow, whether not the best setup, slowbug or me being totally and utterly crap, but I wasn't able to match the guys apart from the last stage which I miraculously won. That was on the 2nd day, so there's that...

Anyway, after this round I went to re-drove the first 4 stages in Custom Event. And the results are quite... interesting.

League: http://imageshack.com/a/img924/7577/9S5C3U.png
Custom event: http://imageshack.com/a/img924/9539/hnWGoL.png
http://imageshack.com/a/img921/9630/dMDZlO.png

The runs in custom event naturally had their... misshaps as well. Nasty barrel roll on Ransbysater costing me about 6s (at least compared to my PB), spin on Norraskoga and naturally quite few of snowbank scratches. Honestly, I hate when the game just decides to nuke the performance and just completely screw me over. Thanks game, really -_-

Still, good job @Snaky115 and @Dytut. Even with the issues you guys posted some nice times there. Shame the game lately hates me -_- Oh well, at least the two countries that I know Focus can have issues with are gone :D
Good Luck Daryl.

Meanwhile, setting the bar here. A feeeew mistakes, but the time could hold... if it wasn't the flipping Subaru. After the event, did a custom event with the Focus Gen 1 to see how much my time would differ, seems it should be able to force out a 2+ second advantage on a 6 min stage.

But, boy, was this fun compared to Sweden. 

EDIT: No, wait, i redid it again - The Subaru is the faster car on Kathodo? ... I AM UNSURE NOW. Probs just my Subaru setup.

Archived