Jump to content Jump to content

F1® 2021 | Patch 1.17 Notes

8 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

You have to create a new player car livery then the white Red Bull is in the Liveries as a selectable skin. But it's useless as the player car is the Mercedes 🙂

Releasing it like this is hilarious to say the least.

Is there noone in the dev team, who knows what they are doing? Funded by EA, cant Codemasters pick 3 random nephews of its cleaning personell that are eager to try out new patches before they are actually being released? An error so bluntly would show during the very 1st lap you are driving or first replay you are looking at.

If latest player reports are true and the AI improvements on outlaps / inlaps should also have failed, we should expect a hotfix (and not wait another 10 weeks for the next podium pass) soon.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Schneehase said:

Is there noone in the dev team, who knows what they are doing? Funded by EA, cant Codemasters pick 3 random nephews of its cleaning personell that are eager to try out new patches before they are actually being released? An error so bluntly would show during the very 1st lap you are driving or first replay you are looking at.

If latest player reports are true and the AI improvements on outlaps / inlaps should also have failed, we should expect a hotfix (and not wait another 10 weeks for the next podium pass) soon.

It's a bit of a clanger "as is". 😄

I'm mildly curious if Red Bull actually agreed to have their livery on a Mercedes car. Also, I don't understand why you would do a quite poor effort of translating it to another car, instead of just adding a button to switch between the 2 liveries on the car selection screen, similar to the one you use to switch between realistic and equal performance.

• Agree 2

57 minutes ago, Schneehase said:

Did you possibly mean to quote a post about the AI behaviour on in/out laps rather than the Red Bull livery?

By the way: The Bug with slowing down AI when on in-/ outlaps, which causes crashes with AI drivers on a hotlap is still not fixed.

It is still the same: The AI drivers both want to let another AI driver pass, slow down extremly, drive side by side and "block" the track. Another Car on hotlap often crashes into them. The result are more than 10 penalties each qualifying and a lot DNFs. This makes playing with AI in Online league or single online races impossible.

I really wonder, why there are not more people, who talk about this bug. It happens EVERY race to me (when I play with friends.)

Edited by DonBlanko

13 hours ago, s00zster said:

Wednesday. It's always usually Wednesday. Once it gets past the days, then it starts counting down the hours.

It started counting down to hours last week, too. Got down until there was less than 5 minutes left and then suddenly it was 1 week again. 

Sometimes you just have to accept that it is never going to be fixed , the people in charge of testing and quality control just ain't up to standard hence why constantly broken buggy patches are released trying to fix broken buggy feature that were either released broken or broken in patches to fix other broken things. Personally deleted this after the Jeddah update as could just see it was never going to be fixed and didn't justify the 80 plus GB it required. Glad to see from reading these that my feelings then were accurate and it still in poor state..  

Terrible post launch support , waiting for monthly patches only to break more stuff ...

Faith lost in this franchise....

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Naxlr said:

Sometimes you just have to accept that it is never going to be fixed , the people in charge of testing and quality control just ain't up to standard hence why constantly broken buggy patches are released trying to fix broken buggy feature that were either released broken or broken in patches to fix other broken things. Personally deleted this after the Jeddah update as could just see it was never going to be fixed and didn't justify the 80 plus GB it required. Glad to see from reading these that my feelings then were accurate and it still in poor state..  

Terrible post launch support , waiting for monthly patches only to break more stuff ...

Same, not just blatant and obvious things not being seen or fixed (starting to feel more and more like we're being solely relied upon for free testing), but also some of the decisions are genuinely baffling.

So many things needing to be fixed? Let's spend resources on putting the MyTeam car into Grand Prix mode and then restricting the player to using Player One as their name, rather than their already applied gamertag or MyTeam character. Many crying out for the white Red Bull to be an optional Red Bull livery for career mode. Nope, here it is for the player car for no particular reason. Oh and the car's based on the Mercedes, so yeah.

It's like they're putting all their energy into trying to shove a cube through a round hole, but all we wanted was a nicely buttered piece of toast. Their decision making is 180 degrees to what people have wanted and then off into another dimension that defies comprehension.

Haven't completed a single season on F1 2021 because I keep running into things within a couple of races of rebooting the game that ruins the fun and it just kills my enthusiasm. They tell you to report bugs, you report them, they ignore you or, in this case, don't fix things properly. They only look at the exact problem and don't consider the bigger picture around the issue at hand.

I think I've said this before about 4 or 5 times now because I keep trying to enjoy it (you shouldn't need to try, though) but yeah, it's over now.

Edited by s00zster
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Naxlr said:

Absolutely agree on every point. I’ve really wanted to love this game and I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t had a bit of fun with it now and again, BUT it’s easily my least favourite F1 game since F1 2015.  

Been going back and replaying a little of F1 2019 just recently and it’s night and day a far far superior game.  It looks gorgeous and for me despite F1 2021 having some better grass textures, everything else is hugely downgraded. It looks drab and dull with worse colour and lighting, awful copy/paste tree assets that don’t fit the scenery (most noticeable on Monza and Red Bull Ring), all the little things like the tv helicopter, particle effects missing, and not to mention the wet weather visuals looking terrible in ‘21 when compared to ‘19 and ‘20.  

Plus there’s the lack of content, classic cars cut out, broken downshifting on the F2 cars (I STILL argue they are bugged as when you go and try the F2 cars in F1 2019 they downshift perfectly as you’d expect).  Plus the ‘Braking Point’ story mode for me is worse than the brief story mode from 2019 as the pre-rendered and outsourced cut scene footage just looks far too out of place compared to the in-game cutscenes like they did in ‘19 (which still hold up really really well and keep the immersion and consistency with the gameplay and other cutscenes).

Plus the BUGS!!  As you said for me Codies seem to be using a single guy that’s just started his apprenticeship for the QA on this game, breaking more aspects than fixing with the post-release patches and is really worrying for the series going forward if this is what the future looks like. 

The F1 games were always for me a day one purchase, admittedly yes there’d be bugs but they’d be fixed fairly quickly and the game would grow more solid and polished as the patches rolled out.  Clearly that isn’t the case anymore and will certainly be weary of future releases.  The state they’ve willingly abandoned F1 2021 in is shocking to me. Kind of feels almost pointless taking part in betas and spending the time and effort in creating clear and coherent bug reports to help them when they seem to go ignored months and months later.  
Clearly their development priorities lye in the adding of more and more stupid cosmetic items than fixing the issues with the game.  Sadly an aspect I feel will just become worse as the series progresses if the rumours of “F1 Life” are anything to go by. 

Rant over. And I apologise to the developers at Codemasters that DO care about the state of the games and put in a lot of love, hard work and passion into making them.  For me something is clearly not working further up the chain and clearly a lot more support is needed in terms of personnel and resources to get the quality of these games to the level they should be for a full price product that we support and buy year after year. 

Thanks. 

• Agree 4

14 hours ago, FIE said:

To be honest, nothing has changed! 
1. AI still drives next to you when you both on your inlap.
2. AI lets you through on your outlap and then pushes you from behind so you can't do your outlap at your own pace.
Both AI behaviors repeats itself over and over until you brake hard, then the AI drives away.

It's getting embarrassing to announce an update that doesn't bring any progress. 
And no i'm not bothering to write a bug report. I'm getting tired of this. It doesn't change anything.

I second this. Did an 18 minute quali at Imola. Mazepin slowed to let me pass on my outlap, great right? No. He then decided to race me. I slowed to let him pass, but he just matched my speed and we just both drove along side by side until I went off the track to break the cycle. 

Also, starting my flying lap as verstappen coming out of pits, he's in the way at turn 1, not really his fault as he's tied to the pit exit, but then basically trying to overtake me (in a slower ferrari) and pushes me from behind all the way around as if he's on a flyer. 

Not tried multiplayer AI yet (for our league racing) but I'm not filled with confidence so far

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Rango said:

I second this. Did an 18 minute quali at Imola. Mazepin slowed to let me pass on my outlap, great right? No. He then decided to race me. I slowed to let him pass, but he just matched my speed and we just both drove along side by side until I went off the track to break the cycle. 

Also, starting my flying lap as verstappen coming out of pits, he's in the way at turn 1, not really his fault as he's tied to the pit exit, but then basically trying to overtake me (in a slower ferrari) and pushes me from behind all the way around as if he's on a flyer. 

Not tried multiplayer AI yet (for our league racing) but I'm not filled with confidence so far

Can you provide videos of this please.

9 hours ago, ViniciusVCruz said:

any news on when the fix for the high speed corners is coming out? silverstone, USA, japan, imola etc... so far we only got the fix for austria, zandvoort and spa, also the speeds that the AI can do in an exit of a chicane is ridiculous, main case being the second chicane in monza, after the update of the kerbs there, you simply can't open up for the second corner in that chicane, so we are forced to make a much tighter line reducing speeds drastically, but still the AI can make a line impossible to be replicated by the user player that give them tremendous exiting speeds with 100% grip and traction every single time, I'm assuming the AI part was hugely oversighted when updating those kerbs, only the user player got harmed by that

that´s never will be fixed, forget it

37 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

Sorry, it just wasn't obvious to me how anything you posted related to the livery.

No problem, it related to the 1.17 patch notes in general, which is this threads headline, not to the RB white livery only. Sorry if that was not clear enough, I am trying 🤪

1 hour ago, BarryBL said:

To avoid misunderstandings - will patch 1.17 (or rather, is it intended to) fix AI behaviour, even if someone was using an old career or myteam save? Or do we have to start over, to get the benefit of AI inlap / outap corrections from patch 1.17?

• Administrator
Just now, Schneehase said:

To avoid misunderstandings - will patch 1.17 (or rather, is it intended to) fix AI behaviour, even if someone was using an old career or myteam save? Or do we have to start over, to get the benefit of AI inlap / outap corrections from patch 1.17?

Good question, ill get clarification

2 hours ago, stephensmattlee said:

I’ve really wanted to love this game and I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t had a bit of fun with it now and again, BUT

Same here, I feel you

replaying a little of F1 2019 just recently and it’s night and day a far far superior game.  It looks gorgeous

Correct

broken downshifting on the F2 cars (I STILL argue they are bugged as when you go and try the F2 cars in F1 2019 they downshift perfectly as you’d expect)

Agree on that one, anyone claiming this works as intended in F1 2021 should go back and try them for comparison

The state they’ve willingly abandoned F1 2021 in is shocking to me. Kind of feels almost pointless taking part in betas and spending the time and effort in creating clear and coherent bug reports to help them when they seem to go ignored months and months later.  
Clearly their development priorities lye in the adding of more and more stupid cosmetic items than fixing the issues with the game.

Sad but true, still

to get the quality of these games to the level they should be for a full price product that we support and buy year after year

Word!

• Like 1

• Administrator
Just now, Schneehase said:

Also, does this apply to any game mode, or only to certain ones? Might be a difference if you do a single "grand prix" or are starting a career.

It's a change that affects the overall behaviour, so will be present in all game modes and all saves, regardless of new or not.

Only caveat is if you have a mid-session save, as the 'race meet' is already in progress

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, BarryBL said:

It's a change that affects the overall behaviour, so will be present in all game modes and all saves, regardless of new or not.

Only caveat is if you have a mid-session save, as the 'race meet' is already in progress

I can't believe that the AI behaviour is 'hard baked' (some might say 'scripted') into a session 😕

The AI is the AI. It has to react to the player, but it sounds like 'rubberbanding' has malfunctioned (this would be 'dynamic game difficulty banding' - basically it means there's always a battle on track from at least one AI who is boosted to stay with you if difficulty is too low or hampered to stay close to you if difficulty is too high).

In career I can basically see the need to provide varied and challenging (exciting) gameplay. If you play a 10 race career at the same AI you need to factor in component wear, upgrades, etc. or you're just going to get 10 identical races. Weather you can already dial out, along with simulation settings such as simulation damage, tyre temperatures and that's before you even get to driving assists.

So, I think there is a requirement for a degree of scripting, but the AI behaviour isn't (shouldn't be) it. "Rival" behaviour is maybe okay, depending on how you're doing, he might drive a worldy lap to get a jump up the grid or he may have a stinky race or not go well at certain tracks. But these should be probability based events, not purely reactional. AI Race strategies have come in for criticism.

I think we've accepted scripted lap times in qualifying and we see that events are seemingly unavoidable if we use flashbacks or saves. It's a bit disappointing overall when pointing to game design but I think on the whole the sport is fairly predictable. It's not Murray's World ("....anything can happen in Formula 1....and usually does!").

Add to this the idea of driver transfers and the inability to edit the driver attributes to how you see fit and it's becoming a quagmire.

This is why I mainly play multiplayer, but even still, in trying to chase realism, we get issues with weather, formation laps, pitstops, safety cars, flag system, etc. Nothing really works well. 

Even with the scripting out the game still manages to malfunction. Disconnection / rejoin is a personal bugbear as I think the whole idea was wrong headed. Now it's introducing even more issues into the game by itself. 

I'm in danger of going off on a tangent and fudging the point. I agree with what people are saying and I disagree that the situation is one for turning around. We are getting thrown bones to overlook the deficiencies that are fundamental.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

You have to create a new player car livery then the white Red Bull is in the Liveries as a selectable skin. But it's useless as the player car is the Mercedes 🙂

Also known as, the perferct car lol. I don't care that it has a merc engine, I now have 6 Red Bull cars on the grid! 😁 (including AlphaTauri) Overall a great update (From my opinion (I dont use an overpriced wheel that breaks all of the time... so that removes most of this game's issues)).

10 hours ago, BarryBL said:

Didn't get a gameclip but we are running a test session tomorrow so will see how that turns out and if it's still there, you can be sure I'll have clips 👍🏻

• Like 1

Can we please, please, please have a fix for the excessive camera shake when in cockpit cam. Even if the shake slider is set to 0, there is a massive amount of camera shake. I don't think the camera shake slider even works for cockpit cam, set it to 100 and then try 0. There is no difference. The screen is so jittery when driving I can only play for a few minutes before it literally gives me a headache. I'd love to be able to play F1 games again, but it's been like this since F1 2018. 

6 hours ago, J7166 said:

Can we please, please, please have a fix for the excessive camera shake when in cockpit cam. Even if the shake slider is set to 0, there is a massive amount of camera shake. I don't think the camera shake slider even works for cockpit cam, set it to 100 and then try 0. There is no difference. The screen is so jittery when driving I can only play for a few minutes before it literally gives me a headache. I'd love to be able to play F1 games again, but it's been like this since F1 2018. 

This would have to go in the suggestions thread unless you feel it's a bug (sounds like by design tbh). This thread is specific to the 'fixes' they've put in place in this patch