Sign in to follow this  

Career AI have fully developed cars from race 1

I've been an avid player of the codemasters F1 games for years and I'm now at a level where I can race the Legend AI with everything turned off in cockpit. However when I recently decided to do a full career instead of just using GP mode it became obvious that the AI are as fast in career as they are in GP mode BUT my car is way slower. Perfect example is my career race at Bahrain. I'm in the lotus having gold star'ed the driver test and using my own setup which is much faster than the default fastest setup I'm struggling to lap within half a second of my teammate and the faster cars are lapping over a second a lap faster. Yet using the same car in GP mode on the same difficulty and same setup I am on pole by a second and can drive off from the AI by a second a lap. My car is about 3 seconds a lap faster in GP mode than career but my teammate Raikonnen set a fastest lap of 1;34.5 in the career race and a fastest lap of 1:34.4 in the GP race. Where as I set a fastest lap of about 1:35.2 in the career race and on just the 2nd lap of the GP race I was in the 1:33.3's. The other big difference for the player between the 2 modes is tyre wear. In GP mode my tyres tend to go off at about the same time as everyone else's and the pitstop strategy of the engineer is perfect. In career my tyres are completely shot about 2 laps before my pitstop window yet the AI keep setting faster lap times every lap till they stop.

The career AI needs to have there cars development start and improve the same as the player and legend AI in the other modes needs to be made harder or at least have there setup values displayed for the player (teammate of course) so we can use equal machinery. Career is spoiled knowing I'm at a massive disadvantage to everyone else. Until this is fixed I'll go back to using GP mode to do a career by recording the results myself and using the default setups to keep it challenging.

I have only played career mode since the game came out and you're right you aren't in a fully developed car especially in the first season with Lotus, but doing the r&d you usually progress quicker than other teams and catch them by the end of the season.  If you stay with the team the next year you will start with a better car depending on if you choose to focus on next year and you might be 1 second faster than anyone else by the time the season is over, which is no fun either.  The tough thing is finding the right balance where you're competing for wins every race, but not lapping the field.  I usually try to change to a team who finished around 4th in the standings the year before and try to catch the top teams by the end of the year.

The setups that you use in GP mode with a fully developed car probably won't work with cars in career mode especially when it comes to tire wear, that might be why you are so far behind your teammate and struggling with tire wear.  Also if you're the number 2 driver on the team your car will be a little behind the other in terms of development.  It usually isn't too hard to beat your teammate I've found for the most part, play with your setups and driving style and you might find some time.

Yes, this is a problem but just start on a lower difficulty level and increase it as your career progresses (AI become easier to beat) Also you can run a full season in GP mode just select the full 2014 championship calendar.

Hi All,

This is a very good and pretty important post - Ill explain why -

I was once in the group of players complaining that the difference between normal and even professional was too big and racing on Legend was unthinkable. (at this time I only played career mode). With some help from some players on the forum I managed to star improving by  or 2 seconds per lap and with some fine tuning started clipping off more 10ths of a second here and there. All of a sudden I raced in Australia in GP mode and noticed that I was actually more than competitive and regularly beat my team mate.

The reason I think that this is an 'important' point (especially from Codemasters point of view with regards to game sales) is that it nearly put me off the game completely. I think many players who 'only' played career mode will have had the same feeling and probably don't realise how 'good' they actually are at the game and how BAD the car is at the start of career mode! The game is badly set up for the start of career mode, you have little chance of beating your team-mate on Legend in 100% races (that's all I play!) and the 'challenges' are a joke with the car being so bad at the start of career and can be really soul destroying! There is also the inconsistency of your engineer sounding excited on the radio saying "GREAT RESULT!!" at the end of the race only to then see the video footage of you walking into a disappointed garage with everyone's head down - this really needs sorting out Codemasters, seriously! That's a good idea from Quattro7 about amending the difficulty, but to be fair it should be integrated into the game.

In general I like the concept of 'upgrades' in career mode, but the difference is way too big as veyronfan points out. At least your team mate should have the same level car as you for the start of career, but I think the whole field should have the same issues and that all of the 'potential' upgrades should be within the first few races of the season as in real life. Its still more of a challenge as the car is harder to handle and strategy is more difficult to plan, but at least the whole field wont drive away from you! I'm actually wondering if the AI 'can' drive the car in that condition though, possibly a programming nightmare, but hopefully something which could be sorted in 2015!

It would be awesome (maybe for 2015) would be the introduction of some pre-season testing, giving you the chance to improve the car before the season starts!?

I hope that a lot of players can relate to this, I would expect so!

Dean

Since we only get to do FP3 anyway and doing R&D during that session makes no sense, not to mention the fact that the whole 'beat a really slow lap time' method of testing isn't exactly fulfilling anyway, maybe it'd be better if CM just did away with the whole upgrade system in career and just had the cars perform the same as in GP mode, especially if they can't get it right and fair between the player and AI. Hopefully the next-gen engine has been built from the ground up for F1 and all this nonsense will be a thing of the past.

Araqiel said:
Since we only get to do FP3 anyway and doing R&D during that session makes no sense, not to mention the fact that the whole 'beat a really slow lap time' method of testing isn't exactly fulfilling anyway, maybe it'd be better if CM just did away with the whole upgrade system in career and just had the cars perform the same as in GP mode, especially if they can't get it right and fair between the player and AI. Hopefully the next-gen engine has been built from the ground up for F1 and all this nonsense will be a thing of the past.

Honestly the game never should have ha these problems anyway. Aside from the graphics, these games have failed to live up to modern standards/expectations.. sadly I dont have much hope for the new titles either.

For what its worth, theres no real difference between Career mode and GP mode anyway, I mean you cant view any meaningful Career stats your just driving around in circles trying to beat your team mate and rival, a season finishes and your're fresh into a new one. Overall a rather pointless and immature experience when you boil it down

MUZZARIOL said:
Araqiel said:

Honestly the game never should have ha these problems anyway. Aside from the graphics, these games have failed to live up to modern standards/expectations.. sadly I dont have much hope for the new titles either.

For what its worth, theres no real difference between Career mode and GP mode anyway, I mean you cant view any meaningful Career stats your just driving around in circles trying to beat your team mate and rival, a season finishes and your're fresh into a new one. Overall a rather pointless and immature experience when you boil it down

Personally I never even bother with Career mode after one try where I often end up giving up after the second season. GP mode just seems more fun to me, there's freedom of choice and it's basically like Career except you're driving as a real driver instead of a fictional driver, the only real difference being the helmet and name. Also it's nice that all the teams are equal in terms of upgrades so you don't get unfairly handicapped against the AI.

^^^ yeah career modes pointless. It could have had potential and the overall concept is good but the sheer lack of creativity means that its essentially 5 seasons with your choice of name and helmet colour

Although I think career mode is cool, I agree with the poster, Carear nids to me more balanced

Does GP mode keep track of your points each race?  I've never tried GP mode, only done career.  I don't care about the name and helmet I just want to compete in a championship

scfreak21 said:

Does GP mode keep track of your points each race?  I've never tried GP mode, only done career.  I don't care about the name and helmet I just want to compete in a championship

No, I don't think so. I keep track of my race results on my own Excel spreadsheet& file. The good side to this is that you can adjust the AI level of each track to your ability since they all vary. And if your skills improve over time, you can adjust accordingly so it never gets boring. For instance, if you're driving for a season as Button, you should set the AI level so you finish around 9th per race like in real life.

scfreak21 said:

It does. I mostly play full seasons in GP mode, I just don't see the appeal in career mode currently.

They should remove the R&D completely. 

It's boring and im tired of starting the beginning of each season with a gimped car.

This really annoys me.  AI cars should develope too.  Needs to be changed in F1 2014!

scfreak21 said:

I'm fairly sure you can create a custom season in GP mode, so you can  just add all the tracks or however many you want and it will treat it like a championship.