Jump to content Jump to content

Racing in the rain

Hi there as title suggests i had a race in the rain on the Baku street circuit during my team career mode, practise and qualifying was dry but as i knew it was going to rain i set car up for a wet race.I qualified 10th which i was quite happy with AI was way faster but i thought that's ok my wet set up is slowing me down but will make race competitive on the day.Im quite new to this game so AI is only at 55 as i improve, i have been gradually turning assists off as i go I'm now at no assists except for  DRS.Anyway to cut a long story short it felt like i was on ice and the AI was racing on softs on a dry surface they made no mistakes at all .I couldn't keep up even with the weaker teams i spun so many times that i just gave up and retired from race as it just wasn't fun at all.Is this a bug or something?Do you guys do well in the rain against AI is it just me needing to put hours of practise in on wet tracks or is this a known issue?I obviously didn't expect to win but i thought i could get a few points at least.

Regards Brian 

5 hours ago, Brian2904 said:

Hi there as title suggests i had a race in the rain on the Baku street circuit during my team career mode, practise and qualifying was dry but as i knew it was going to rain i set car up for a wet race.I qualified 10th which i was quite happy with AI was way faster but i thought that's ok my wet set up is slowing me down but will make race competitive on the day.Im quite new to this game so AI is only at 55 as i improve, i have been gradually turning assists off as i go I'm now at no assists except for  DRS.Anyway to cut a long story short it felt like i was on ice and the AI was racing on softs on a dry surface they made no mistakes at all .I couldn't keep up even with the weaker teams i spun so many times that i just gave up and retired from race as it just wasn't fun at all.Is this a bug or something?Do you guys do well in the rain against AI is it just me needing to put hours of practise in on wet tracks or is this a known issue?I obviously didn't expect to win but i thought i could get a few points at least.

Regards Brian 

The game is a game it isn't a perfect thing and as such it needs to be set up by you to make it work how you want it to be, The AI is just a train going around the track ,a programme , its very good but it has limitations , why is the Ai just flying around the track while you struggle , because it has every assist it needs to get it around the track without constantly crashing out , therefore to compete against it on equal terms ; just use full traction control the car will still kick the back end around if you get aggressive with the throttle but it puts you on a more equal footing with the AI ........... or if that will hurt your pride then you need to make a set up for the car that allows you to drive better in the wet , that is a complicated  issue because it involves lots of aspects from controller settings through car set ups , If you do not understand the physics behind what makes a F1 car work on a track then you can find out on YouTube there is masses of information but its technical stuff , if you cannot be bothered then just go for a set up with soft tyres , softish suspension,  high downforce and more locked diff than dry conditions . brakes should be in the balanced area say 51 ; 52 ......in the wet Brake pressure needs to be turned right down to minimum to avoid lock ups The throttle needs setting up to work as linear as possible for smoothness , no sudden jumps in revs or juddery . If you are on a wheel with pedals this can mean the actual physical operation of the actual pedal set ,,for example I modified my pedal set and changed the way it operates by throwing away its useless clothes peg spring and using a decent telescoping tube and rod with adjustable preload coil spring , the difference in smoothness of actuation  is unbelievable. That's a start , its over to you. Tataaar.

• Thanks 1

Depending on how hard it is raining you can use a dry setup in the rain, just adjust the front wing, transmission and or differential. Just don't forget to adjust back in the dry.  In most cases the wet/dry set ups for each track are very similar.