Jump to content Jump to content

Ffb on Xbox

GazBlaster

After big disappointment about missing tire and wheel friction settings in Dirt 2.0 on the Xbox SX i sold my G920 and never touched my pre-ordered Game anymore. Last week I was at a friend and was surprised that on the PS5 the settings were there and the Ffb was nearly as well as on Dirt 1 on PC! Now I am open to buy a new wheel for my Xbox IF the Ffb on Xbox would be comparable to PS5. Do there exist comparisons between Xbox and PS5? Are wheel and tire friction settings also available for Xbox? If yes for all wheels? When was it introduced? With a software update? 

On 4/18/2022 at 9:19 AM, GazBlaster said:

After big disappointment about missing tire and wheel friction settings in Dirt 2.0 on the Xbox SX i sold my G920 and never touched my pre-ordered Game anymore. Last week I was at a friend and was surprised that on the PS5 the settings were there and the Ffb was nearly as well as on Dirt 1 on PC! Now I am open to buy a new wheel for my Xbox IF the Ffb on Xbox would be comparable to PS5. Do there exist comparisons between Xbox and PS5? Are wheel and tire friction settings also available for Xbox? If yes for all wheels? When was it introduced? With a software update? 

The FFB settings 'should' be the same regardless of system, so I have no idea there why things are different for your friend on Playstation 5 and you on XSX.

With that said, Wheel friction and Tire Friction settings should be open on all systems. Is it possible you had an Xbox game pad turned on at the same time, and the game was reading that for its settings instead of the wheel?

I dont have Dirt Rally 2 on xbox, as I play on PC. But I do know that on Xbox, if you are playing any racing game at all with a wheel. You ideally need to plug the wheel in first before you turn on any game pad for party chat/headset use, otherwise it can get confused sometimes. I used to play a lot of racing games with a G920 on Xbox myself, and it was always the way you had to start things up.

• Social Media & Community Team
1 hour ago, Ialyrn said:

The FFB settings 'should' be the same regardless of system, so I have no idea there why things are different for your friend on Playstation 5 and you on XSX.

With that said, Wheel friction and Tire Friction settings should be open on all systems. Is it possible you had an Xbox game pad turned on at the same time, and the game was reading that for its settings instead of the wheel?

Xbox handles peripherals differently to other platforms, and as such some FFB features (both on wheels and in-game) will always be missing/disabled.

29 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Xbox handles peripherals differently to other platforms, and as such some FFB features (both on wheels and in-game) will always be missing/disabled.

That seems very backwards, as i played Dirt Rally 1 on both pc and xbox with the same g920. I remember the force feedback settings being identical. So why would there be such a fundamental difference in dr2. Especially with a setting as nessicary as wheel friction, given if that setting is too high on certain wheels, it reduces them to feeling like slow, sluggish and stuck in tar.

I get xbox uses xinput, but force feedback settings have always been handled by the game, not the system. 

Edited by Ialyrn

I was a big fan of DR1 which worked well on XBx. So it was not any procedure or so which could have been my mistake. The settings just were greyed out independent of additional controllers or startup routine. So the question now is if anybody can confirm that it is available due to a software update. 

@PJTierney im not going mad, dirt rally 1 on xbox one absolutely had exactly the same force feedback settings as pc. I found an old Stella Stig video showing their ffb setup for it.

It makes zero sense why such fundamental and needed force feedback options are missing in the sequal on the exact same console system. That is 100% a dev oversight and not the system or xinput functionality restricting how force feedback works.

That is what I was saying. Dirt1 worked beautiful, same as on PC. Then I pre-ordered DR2 with high expectations, why I was so disappointed when it arrived. Months after that a ffb fix for consoles came out, which changed nearly nothing. Then I sold my G920.