Jump to content Jump to content

F1® 22 Is Here | Released July 1st, 2022

12 minutes ago, CM_Schneehase said:

Ok, 1st off sorry for the OT, and I can / will delete this again, if anyone thinks its the wrong place for this discussion here. So here is my issue with steam / origin combined:

My son has his own small steam account with a few games. He is 9 years old, so we have to take care and hide all the stuff from him, that a 9 year old is not yet supposed to see (ads for violence games, zombies, xxx, mostly). Steam has its own means for that, its called "Familienansicht" in my language, I am not sure what it would translate to in the english original, probably something like "familiy view". Its perfect for both kids and parents and works great with all games, the idea is we add a game to "family view" and then the kids can start and play it on their own, without parents needed to aid them, while at the same time they will be protected from chat, from the store (xxx and violence ads) and so forth. This works fine with all games, only with Sims4 and Origin it does not.

When starting Sims4, it forces the Origin software to be fired up. At the very first start of the game, you link your steam account to your origin account and that is that (but its not!). Once Sims4 is within "family view", you simply cant start it any more. Somehow in "family view" the Origin software can not be started - there is an error message and no matter whatever I have tried in steam settings, in origin settings, in the settings of the accounts involved, nothing works. The only way we can start Sims4 for the kids is to type in our 4 digit code, leaving "family view", then Sims4 will start fine and Origin as well. It may well be I am just too dumb to see the obvious, but whereever I asked, noone could point me to the right trigger / lever, all you ever get is "check the settings, its certainly the settings". Not it is not, as long as you cant tell me which setting exactly.

We even tried to add the Origin software as a "non-steam game" to the "family view" (yay that works, i was surpried it did), but that doesnt change anything either. Its not only that it is annoying, that the kids can not start Sims4 on their own, the problem is, as soon as the Origin software is fired up without "family view", the 1st ad displayed in Origin is Ronaldo for a soccer game, and by the 2nd or 3rd ad a gun is pointed at the viewer before the screen. This is not what you want your kids to see, seriously. No setting I found neither in steam nor in the EA account or Origin software seems able to change this. I dont hate the Origin software, it is just that it is not designed around a game for kids, but we have to use it for a kids game. Needless to say, leaving "family view" unlocks the steam store as well, and the kids are so fast with their mouseclicks, before you know they found another "interesting" ad or game. Yes, you can tell steam to not display xxx or violence and the like, and yes we did set it up that way, but the origin software gives a damn about that.

Plus, for a different discussion, I understand about copy and cheat protection and the like, but i dont want to be forced (or my kids) looking at any ads or at anything another party thinks is good for me or for us, only because I want to play a certain game. If I want to see ads, I can switch a TV on. I dont want to learn about other games during starting it up, neither do i want to be told which addons I am missing, etc.. I understand that is personal preference, but to me personally, this is so far annoying that it is a no go for me (yup, that is the rock that I tend to live under^^).

No, it's very revealing. Not because you've expressed your views about protecting your kids (which I totally understand) more the fact that the 'EA way' is just to fob you off, "it's your issue".

So basically, no-one at EA is bothered enough with replicating the issue. And Steam (Valve) haven't bothered to vet what the Origin software does, just basically hands over and if it errors, it's EA's job, which they (EA and Valve) seem "unconcerned" about at the very least.

How hard can it be to add your game to a similar setting and see what happens? Even if there is no error for them, if they're so convinced it's the settings then they should be able to guess which ones may be likely and even try the ones they think unlikely.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Ialyrn said:

The sims 4 has a pegi age rating of 12+, as the game depicts sensored nudity, sensored sexual activity, and dipictions of violence. The issue isnt to do with Steam/Origin not liking each other, its to do with the age rating you use for things to protect your child from anything  that is unsuitable for their age group. This is why they are able to start the game up if give them the pin to disable the family protection settings.

See, I knew someone would know. 😄  @Ialyrn 

Never played The Sims nor would I see myself doing so. 

This is a better place than most for getting answers to asked questions 🙂 Despite what some may think.

Edited by steviejay69
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, CM_Schneehase said:

Good theory and understood, steam family view works in a way though that I as the parent add the game that I want the kids to play, and then it should run, no matter the rating?

The error message you get says nothing of age protection or similar, its just "error try and restart your game to continue linking the accounts" (though they have been successfully linked before).

Have you made sure that the linked Origin/EA account is set as a childs account?

Yes, Origin does allow child accounts to be made.

I dont know and cant check personally, but is it possible that the Steam software is detecting the current Origin account linked as not been set to the same age restrictions?

This might explain why, once you add Origin as a "non-steam game", it allows it to work.

Edit: Just to help you locate the appropriate page on EA's site - https://help.ea.com/en/help/account/set-up-child-ea-account/

Edited by Ialyrn

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Ialyrn said:

Edit: Just to help you locate the appropriate page on EA's site - https://help.ea.com/en/help/account/set-up-child-ea-account/

AFAIK this only works for a higher age rating something in the range 14 years plus or similar? Edit: At least it says so within the EA account.

Edit #2: I have received all kind of useless advices on the (german) EA forum pages, like check for a folder (that does not / can not exist, as not even the folder mentioned as the root exists), or that I shall start outside family view, go to the library in Origin software (it contains the sims4 only in my case) and right click the game and choose "update game" (but there is no such function within Origin when right clicking games).

Bottom line, i dont think I could solve this with 2 degrees in IT science. But really, as a parent with small kids, you need to do such things within seconds and on first glance. Steam family view allows me to exclude all the world from my kids access, and provides only access to what I have positively acknowledged. Perfect. So if i do, why does it not just work and thats that? Probably because its a huge piece of overheaded **** of software that noone really needs, and the only function it has it to hinder us play the game. Great, isnt it? 

Edited by CM_Schneehase

5 minutes ago, CM_Schneehase said:

AFAIK this only works for a higher age rating something in the range 14 years plus or similar? Edit: At least it says so within the EA account.

Child account means exactly that, a child account. EA also have Teen accounts, which are for teens. A child account is upgraded to a teen account once they reach the appropriate age.

The page I linked is to do specifically with setting up a childs account for EA.

I have no other details than that, as I have not set up a childs EA personally. I just know that you can from researching for my own child if they ever show an interest in PC gaming.

Posted (edited)

Thanks a lot for your advice anyway. Its not your fault, its just me being too dumb for all that EA stuff. I dont know why it works for any other game from any other publisher, though, maybe I am just to dumb to realize that as well 😁 Maybe I have kids account and I dont even realize I do, lol. Anyhow, its **** and i cant get it to work.

Also making a kids EA account and adding a game to it would require to buy the sims4 game a 2nd time, wouldnt it? Forget it...

Edited by CM_Schneehase

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, CM_Schneehase said:

Thanks a lot for your advice anyway. Its not your fault, its just me being too dumb for all that EA stuff. I dont know why it works for any other game from any other publisher, though, maybe I am just to dumb to realize that as well 😁 Maybe I have kids account and I dont even realize I do, lol. Anyhow, its **** and i cant get it to work.

Also making a kids EA account and adding a game to it would require to buy the sims4 game a 2nd time, wouldnt it? Forget it...

I honestly have no idea. As said, no personal experiance with it at all. Just trying to give you a few idea's to try.

Edited by Ialyrn
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CM_Schneehase said:

Not sure, but how does family sharing work via Steam? I realise some EA titles are specifically excluded (as is F1 22 AFAIK, AIUI)