Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bear's Happy Place

Bear's Christmas party, he throws an awesome soirée.  
I seem to have got '22b' tattoo'd on my left nad & vaguely remember playing FIFA with Sebastian Loeb (he was f&cked on blue Aftershock) whilst discussing the ending of Interstellar, but I can't remember much else...

KevM said:
Bear's Christmas party, he throws an awesome soirée.  
I seem to have got '22b' tattoo'd on my left nad & vaguely remember playing FIFA with Sebastian Loeb (he was f&cked on blue Aftershock) whilst discussing the ending of Interstellar, but I can't remember much else...
Sounds sweet. Glad I wasn't invited. I watched Interstellar for the first time the other day, and it was a good movie sure, but the ending didn't seem that crazy to me.

To keep the randomness going:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R91QF6Xbaow

Heya Porky.                                                                             

So this week I had a go of a Logitech DF G920, and loved it. Luckily and coincidentally, it was on a huge sale in Currys for £159, so I put some money I got over Christmas towards it and got myself one :D 

It's a huge step-up from what I have now, and I really liked how it felt, and the pedals, especially the brake, felt pretty damn good. I should be back posting some pretty good times soon, as I'll no longer have to settle for using a pad, considering my last wheel only had 180 degrees of turning :D 

Didzis said:
What degrees of rotation are you using on that G920?
I'm trying 270, as that's quite a common suggestion. However, I'm open to other people's configs to try out. I'm gonna have about a week to test slightly different settings. 

Didzis said:
I'm trying 270, as that's quite a common suggestion. However, I'm open to other people's configs to try out. I'm gonna have about a week to test slightly different settings. 
I still remain on my 900. However I managed to get a fancy new monitor and mounted that handbrake I got all those months ago. Mmmm new...ness?

JZStudios said:
Didzis said:
I still remain on my 900. However I managed to get a fancy new monitor and mounted that handbrake I got all those months ago. Mmmm new...ness?
I found the full 900 a bit too much for me straight away, as it felt like I was rallying with a lorry :D 

JZStudios said:
Didzis said:
I found the full 900 a bit too much for me straight away, as it felt like I was rallying with a lorry :D 
But... I like my truck racing... :(
httpwwwshinyfastandloudcomwp-contentuploads201301331324d90ab2db74359e436f1077812bjpg

900 also depends on the game. In PCars it's quite understeery, while in AC it actually feels about right. DR is somewhere-ish in the middle...ish.
P.S. I highly recommend the handbrake if you can figure out how to mount it. Unfortunately Fanatec in it's infinite wisdom decided to not make it fit with any mount whatsoever.

JZStudios said:
900 also depends on the game. In PCars it's quite understeery, while in AC it actually feels about right. DR is somewhere-ish in the middle...ish.
P.S. I highly recommend the handbrake if you can figure out how to mount it. Unfortunately Fanatec in it's infinite wisdom decided to not make it fit with any mount whatsoever.
I'm finding that there's a huge issue with F1 2015. For some reason my pedals aren't working correctly :/ it's like the axis are combined 

Subliminal message from Codemasters there (don't play F1 2015, play Dirt Rally)

KevM said:
Subliminal message from Codemasters there (don't play F1 2015, play Dirt Rally)
Ha, yeah. I've played F1 2015 the least out of all F1 games. I actually went back to playing F1 2011 and 2013 for a little bit. 

JZStudios said:
Didzis said:
I would suggest trying 540°, that's what the modern rally cars use, also it's you can still somewhat comfortably turn lock to lock without letting go of the wheel. It's the middleground of  being able to turn fast enough in the corners and making fine adjustments in the straights. 270° imho is a bit too close to 200°, not much of an improvement. Rather than taking many small steps, take fewer larger steps instead.

Didzis said:
JZStudios said:
Didzis said:
I would suggest trying 540°, that's what the modern rally cars use, also it's you can still somewhat comfortably turn lock to lock without letting go of the wheel. It's the middleground of  being able to turn fast enough in the corners and making fine adjustments in the straights. 270° imho is a bit too close to 200°, not much of an improvement. Rather than taking many small steps, take fewer larger steps instead.
I'll give that a go :] 
What's your view on soft lock? 

@thecraicbear if you stick to one steering degree then you don't bother about soft lock and turn it off.
Soft lock means that the steering degree will be matched to the car steering degree. If you want real thing then turn on soft lock and set degrees to 900 - the game will adjust the steering degree for you (i.e. wrc - 640 (probably), abarth - 900).

Softlock % setting means what will be the force to let you know that you've already have steered too much degrees - 150% most probably you won't be able to steer to much (well you might but you'd have to use alot of strength).

I couldn't help with the F1, and frankly I don't understand how 2015 could possibly be worse than 2011. It literally makes no sense to me that a game that seems to come out every year somehow seems to get worse. I mean, even Call of Duty got... like 3 new things in about 7 years? And Call of Duty makes me vomit violently from the eyes.

JZStudios said:
I couldn't help with the F1, and frankly I don't understand how 2015 could possibly be worse than 2011. It literally makes no sense to me that a game that seems to come out every year somehow seems to get worse. I mean, even Call of Duty got... like 3 new things in about 7 years? And Call of Duty makes me vomit violently from the eyes.
It happens with Assassin's Creed as well. They can't consistently make a good game every year, but every other year they'll release a good game. It'll be a mystery forever. 

JZStudios said:
It happens with Assassin's Creed as well. They can't consistently make a good game every year, but every other year they'll release a good game. It'll be a mystery forever. 
yeah, well theirs also like 9 AC games, and I gave up after 3 I think? No, Brotherhood. Nope. Revelations. Good lord. AC 1 to 2 was a nice jump, but after that it was pretty much all the same runny jumpy stabby. And boats.
*And then, not boats. But then carriages?

Question:  Does any series not continue to follow the same formula, in order not to be called a different game?  I'm probably stupid for asking.

gfRally said:
Question:  Does any series not continue to follow the same formula, in order not to be called a different game?  I'm probably stupid for asking.
You mean, if any game series has deliberately taken on a different formula just so it wouldn't be the Game 2.0, etc?
That's hard to say since we might not know what the reason for it might have been. One that comes to mind kinda quickly would be the Divinity series that went from top-down-ish Action RPG to third-person action RPG to a RPG/RTS kind of thing where you got to roast things with a dragon and then into a top-down RPG with turn-based combat. Not having played all of the games I can't say how they follow in the story and so on but they all fall in under the "Divinity" title at least.

It's always going to be a problem if you make a successful game, people will want more. So it makes sense to make a sequel but then you have to make it different enough to not just be the same thing again but you can't make it too different because you'll potentially make something that your fans isn't in to.

The problem is when the series start to drag on for too long without a lot of new exciting stuff.
Assassin's Creed like mentioned before is a good example of how these things tend to go.

First game: Testing the field. Establishing the world, plot and concept of the game. (Personally I found this one a bit boring. A lot of big open areas but not a whole lot going on and a lot of repetition in the missions).
Second game: World, plot and concept has been established. You improve on the things that were lacking in the first game. Flesh it out a bit more and you're starting to get some pretty good stuff going. (This is where the game got interesting to me. I did actually like the "stand-alone expansions" if you want to call them that. Or some kind of sequels. I would have been just fine with the games ending with Revelations and then possibly do a reboot or such, new plots, etc).
Third game (Or in this case, fifth game really). Now would be a good time to wrap things up. Finish off the story thing and so on.

Then you can start doing spin-off stuff. Like say.. The Black Flag game they made (I didn't play it but I know the pirating thing was popular). So you start over with a spin-off, testing the concept and see if people can get into it, establish world, plot, etc.

I'll admit. I haven't played an AC game since the third one and that one was a drag for me to get through so I don't know if they have actually gotten around to finishing off the plot yet but my point still stands (At least until someone rips it apart with logic! Oh noes!). People don't like change but they still want it. It's balancing act of making "The same but different" and knowing when to stop before you got a runaway train. Of course, it depends on the type of game you are making. If you're making something like a sports game you got a whole different thing going obviously :tongue: 

AC ending the plot line? HA! they are at least in Victorian England age so I'd assume sometime in the next 10 years/games they might.
P.S. They have 9 official games, and 11 spin offs. Almost every game (at least the first 5) actually did introduce a fair amount of new mechanics, but relatively all to the same extent of runny jumpy stabby, piss poor fighting mechanic.
gfRally said:
It's not necessarily continuing to follow the same formula that's a problem, it's copy paste sell that's a problem. Up until COD Advanced warfare, which stole the movement system there's literally 6 games that are all pretty much copy paste sell, sometimes with a slightly different texture. Halo added new mechanics, perfectly complemented by rock solid gameplay. It's always been an alien space fps. Metal Gear has always been a stealth/action game, but Kojima always added obscenely stupidly absurd amounts of detail. In MGS3 you can literally kill a boss with poison dart frogs and old food. Like, why?

Call of Duty will always be king of copy and paste. I started on no.5 world at war, and stopped two games later. Then I changed to battlefield, which I love, although still has elements of copy and paste, just not year after year.

I've spent the last couple of months on Fallout, which is brilliant. I've never played the previous games so I don't have comparisons there, but there's so much depth in Fallout, with so much to do. So now I have 3 huge fortresses of settlements, one of which complete with a power armour stand with 15 suits, and I still haven't finished the story!