Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bear's Happy Place

Recommended Posts

versedi said:
we're not going back into bro-dude-american-super-hero thing, and that seemed to be enough ;)
It's there to keep them happy, but to be honest, I think it's ability to offer near infinite Rally content should more than keep us happy.  & let's be honest, who didn't have the occasional go at Pikes of Rallycross to break things up from time to time.

Plus a Buggy arena is the perfect setting to have a background chip van with Kebabpizza on its menu  B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JZStudios said:
PaloSamo said:
JZStudios said:
I guess this is trending, but whatever. Most exciting racing I've seen all year, tons of upsets and overtakes.
https://youtu.be/5T8xHFOMP5w

It's  trending to be politically correct nowadays so I won't ask "why Americans can't see the difference between race and rally?" but say "what a brilliant idea!" instead :)
I'm not sure where you're getting that from... but alrighty.
It's nothing personal @JZStudios. The guy commenting marble races doesn't seem to have an understanding of what rallying is. And he sounds American. And stereotypes kicked in. You know...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PaloSamo said:
JZStudios said:
PaloSamo said:
JZStudios said:
I guess this is trending, but whatever. Most exciting racing I've seen all year, tons of upsets and overtakes.
https://youtu.be/5T8xHFOMP5w

It's  trending to be politically correct nowadays so I won't ask "why Americans can't see the difference between race and rally?" but say "what a brilliant idea!" instead :)
I'm not sure where you're getting that from... but alrighty.
It's nothing personal @JZStudios. The guy commenting marble races doesn't seem to have an understanding of what rallying is. And he sounds American. And stereotypes kicked in. You know...
I don't get where the rally comes in... Did he say that in the video?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JZStudios said:
PaloSamo said:
JZStudios said:
PaloSamo said:
JZStudios said:
I guess this is trending, but whatever. Most exciting racing I've seen all year, tons of upsets and overtakes.
https://youtu.be/5T8xHFOMP5w

It's  trending to be politically correct nowadays so I won't ask "why Americans can't see the difference between race and rally?" but say "what a brilliant idea!" instead :)
I'm not sure where you're getting that from... but alrighty.
It's nothing personal @JZStudios. The guy commenting marble races doesn't seem to have an understanding of what rallying is. And he sounds American. And stereotypes kicked in. You know...
I don't get where the rally comes in... Did he say that in the video?
5:28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KevM said:
versedi said:
we're not going back into bro-dude-american-super-hero thing, and that seemed to be enough ;)
It's there to keep them happy, but to be honest, I think it's ability to offer near infinite Rally content should more than keep us happy.  & let's be honest, who didn't have the occasional go at Pikes of Rallycross to break things up from time to time.

Plus a Buggy arena is the perfect setting to have a background chip van with Kebabpizza on its menu  B)
I think a common misconception is that the existence of landrush and rallycross means a reduction in rally content. That may have been true back in the days of Dirt 2 and 3, but Dirt 4 is being built off of what they've spent the past few years on with Dirt Rally, so nothing's really being "replaced" by the other disciplines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BadD0g said:
KevM said:
versedi said:
we're not going back into bro-dude-american-super-hero thing, and that seemed to be enough ;)
It's there to keep them happy, but to be honest, I think it's ability to offer near infinite Rally content should more than keep us happy.  & let's be honest, who didn't have the occasional go at Pikes of Rallycross to break things up from time to time.

Plus a Buggy arena is the perfect setting to have a background chip van with Kebabpizza on its menu  B)
I think a common misconception is that the existence of landrush and rallycross means a reduction in rally content. That may have been true back in the days of Dirt 2 and 3, but Dirt 4 is being built off of what they've spent the past few years on with Dirt Rally, so nothing's really being "replaced" by the other disciplines.

The simple fact is, DiRT 3, with its Ken Block, Dudebro, Gymkhana! sold 1 million units. And Codemasters are a business. They need to make money or people are out of work and we don't get our DiRT Rally fix anymore.

Dirt Rally, while successful and critically acclaimed! did not sell as many units.

So with that said, it's logical that they revert to the "tried and tested" formula, thankfully! without the Dudebro Gymkhana crap.

Oh, and a healthy dose of the improved super secret DiRT Rally sauce ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Evilsmurf said:
BadD0g said:
KevM said:
versedi said:
we're not going back into bro-dude-american-super-hero thing, and that seemed to be enough ;)
It's there to keep them happy, but to be honest, I think it's ability to offer near infinite Rally content should more than keep us happy.  & let's be honest, who didn't have the occasional go at Pikes of Rallycross to break things up from time to time.

Plus a Buggy arena is the perfect setting to have a background chip van with Kebabpizza on its menu  B)
I think a common misconception is that the existence of landrush and rallycross means a reduction in rally content. That may have been true back in the days of Dirt 2 and 3, but Dirt 4 is being built off of what they've spent the past few years on with Dirt Rally, so nothing's really being "replaced" by the other disciplines.

The simple fact is, DiRT 3, with its Ken Block, Dudebro, Gymkhana! sold 1 million units. And Codemasters are a business. They need to make money or people are out of work and we don't get our DiRT Rally fix anymore.

Dirt Rally, while successful and critically acclaimed! did not sell as many units.

So with that said, it's logical that they revert to the "tried and tested" formula, thankfully! without the Dudebro Gymkhana crap.

Oh, and a healthy dose of the improved super secret DiRT Rally sauce ;)

The fact that they are including a separate sim 'game mode' setting of sorts for us DR lot makes me wholly confident about D4, even if it did ship with some dudebro stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
What I'm most happy about is how they don't compromise the stages to accommodate the easy physics mode. The stage generator can make easy stages, but they are always made like real roads. No more 50ft wide roads! From what we've heard so far, it seems like if you choose the sim physics, you'll have an experience that feels just like a continuation of Dirt Rally, and you can ignore the arcadey-ness completely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BadD0g said:
What I'm most happy about is how they don't compromise the stages to accommodate the easy physics mode. The stage generator can make easy stages, but they are always made like real roads. No more 50ft wide roads! From what we've heard so far, it seems like if you choose the sim physics, you'll have an experience that feels just like a continuation of Dirt Rally, and you can ignore the arcadey-ness completely.
This is what I've been trying to get across, its clear that the sim side was the main one that was developed and arcade is sim handling with a few adjustments to make it easier and you dont have to set the car up etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody in here good with SQL? Specifically Stored Procedures.

I've hand-coded countless queries & stored procedures in SQL Server (no GUI code generators). How can I help?


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Operator1 said:

Anybody in here good with SQL? Specifically Stored Procedures.

I've hand-coded countless queries & stored procedures in SQL Server (no GUI code generators). How can I help?


Nice! I have one non-SProc question first - is it good practice to say that a row is NOT NULL when it also has the DEFAULT constraint?
e.g.    embargo BIT NOT NULL DEFAULT 0,

For now, my SProc is behaving... so I'm not in need of help with that, for the time being anyway! :D




Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Operator1 said:

gfRally said:
@Operator1 looking at your pic, hmm... we could be brothers O.o

Is that you, cousin??  :p




Y'know Koala's, aside from having chlamydia, are also super dumb?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nice! I have one non-SProc question first - is it good practice to say that a row is NOT NULL when it also has the DEFAULT constraint?
e.g.    embargo BIT NOT NULL DEFAULT 0,

For now, my SProc is behaving... so I'm not in need of help with that, for the time being anyway! :D
I wouldn't say that that linking those two constraints is a best practice, a program may need to set that field to null regardless of it's default value. It comes down to the business logic of the app that uses that dataset, if the program requires a value for that field, setting it to NOT NULL ensures that when some dumb app dev like me comes along and tries to push invalid data into the field, the DB layer has a safeguard that ensures the integrity of the data.

However if the field is an optional field from the programs perspective, it can be very useful to allow null values so it is explicit that a value does not exist for the field, instead of mistaking the default value for valid data.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
enamel said:
Nice! I have one non-SProc question first - is it good practice to say that a row is NOT NULL when it also has the DEFAULT constraint?
e.g.    embargo BIT NOT NULL DEFAULT 0,

For now, my SProc is behaving... so I'm not in need of help with that, for the time being anyway! :D
I wouldn't say that that linking those two constraints is a best practice, a program may need to set that field to null regardless of it's default value. It comes down to the business logic of the app that uses that dataset, if the program requires a value for that field, setting it to NOT NULL ensures that when some dumb app dev like me comes along and tries to push invalid data into the field, the DB layer has a safeguard that ensures the integrity of the data.

However if the field is an optional field from the programs perspective, it can be very useful to allow null values so it is explicit that a value does not exist for the field, instead of mistaking the default value for valid data.
Good to know, thank you!

For more info behind the field, it accepts a 1 or a 0 (BIT) for yes or no, as to whether or not somebody has an embargo on their account.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Operator1 said:

Anybody in here good with SQL? Specifically Stored Procedures.

I've hand-coded countless queries & stored procedures in SQL Server (no GUI code generators). How can I help?
Nice! I have one non-SProc question first - is it good practice to say that a row is NOT NULL when it also has the DEFAULT constraint?
e.g.    embargo BIT NOT NULL DEFAULT 0,

For now, my SProc is behaving... so I'm not in need of help with that, for the time being anyway! :D

Sure. Having a not-null constraint combined with a default value for a column can help you maintain any data integrity requirements you might have.

Often, you can't rely on all callers to consistently pass good data to you, so contingencies like constraints & default values help you keep your data clean no matter how sloppy front-end apps and/or users are.

Without a not-null constraint, insert statements would be able to explicitly place null values into that column, regardless of the column's default 0/zero value.

When it comes to reporting/analytics, workflows/processes, integrations, audits, etc., data rapidly loses its value if it's not clean data - and those types of uses are often the main/ultimate reasons for collecting that data in the first place. (Garbage in = garbage out.)

Constraints combined with default values can also make life easier for front-end apps/devs because it gives them the flexibility to selectively pass what data they have & not worry about any additional data requirements on the database side that may be irrelevant to them on the front-end... Often, not all clients/callers have or need every data field in the database, so it can grease the wheels when you can just tell them: "pass this piece of data to me if you have it, or ignore/skip it if you don't have it & I'll make sure the database stays clean regardless," or "pass me this piece of data if you're calling me from this context/scenario, but you don't need to pass me this piece of data if you're calling me from a different context/scenario," etc.

A not-null constraint can sometimes help with future queries/reports, since null values can add an extra steps/checks when doing joins, group by, equality (=) comparisons, aggregate functions, etc.

I don't know if it makes a difference in your data and/or apps/reports, but something else to consider is that allowing null values on a bit column in particular turns a Boolean (on/off, true/false, yes/no, etc.) field into tri-value (on/off/null, true/false/null, yes/no/null. etc.) field. Sometimes that can useful, and sometimes that can have unexpected or unwanted results.

I can't say what's the "right" or "wrong" or "best" or "worst" approach for you here because everything depends on context/scenario. There's no "one size fits all" universal approach that perfectly suits every situation every time, so your mileage may vary. These are just some of the types of things I would consider if I was responsible for this data.


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Operator1 said:
Sure. Having a not-null constraint combined with a default value for a column can help you maintain any data integrity requirements you might have.

Often, you can't rely on all callers to consistently pass good data to you, so contingencies like constraints & default values help you keep your data clean no matter how sloppy front-end apps and/or users are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm just glad I understand at least some of this. Never go into programming, which is why I quit TIS-1000.
https2quickmemecomimg8787618331d96782bf19a77ed058c02d1f1968a9a8c453126d50d5cf49e8ae4498jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Good to know, thank you!

For more info behind the field, it accepts a 1 or a 0 (BIT) for yes or no, as to whether or not somebody has an embargo on their account.
In this case I think a NOT NULL constraint is completely reasonable, sounds like a required field from where I am sitting.

Operator1 said:

Often, you can't rely on all callers to consistently pass good data to you, so contingencies like constraints & default values help you keep your data clean no matter how sloppy front-end apps and/or users are.
Agreed, not only can you not rely on good data being passed, I treat all data as potentially harmful until validated. Either thru maliciousness or negligence. Basically the ol' Little Bobby Tables principal: https://www.xkcd.com/327/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thank you both for the help :)

I think I'm pretty happy with the state of my queries and such. The Stored Procedure was an absolute ballache to make, considering I've never had to do one before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×