Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bear's Happy Place

@Equim 
Good points, lets jump to a different genre.  Racing games, since they are, Ill use the word stuck, in an expected format, how would you make one fresh?  Is branching off to different types of racing, enough, or do you alienate previous customers?  Much like Codies did with CM series to DiRT 1 or even to DiRT 2.  (I liked DiRT2 because it is fun, not real serious.  I play it a lot with friends that are not interested or hard core about rally, but I like DR even more by myself)

Last question or post on this topic, this is Bears Happy Place, not Bears Serious Discussion about games.  :)

gfRally said:
@Equim 
Good points, lets jump to a different genre.  Racing games, since they are, Ill use the word stuck, in an expected format, how would you make one fresh?  Is branching off to different types of racing, enough, or do you alienate previous customers?  Much like Codies did with CM series to DiRT 1 or even to DiRT 2.  (I liked DiRT2 because it is fun, not real serious.  I play it a lot with friends that are not interested or hard core about rally, but I like DR even more by myself)

Last question or post on this topic, this is Bears Happy Place, not Bears Serious Discussion about games.  :)
Well, racing games are quite a different beast really. In one way it is a sports game so it is somewhat viable to do a "roster update" some new countries/tracks, a couple of new vehicles, wrap it up nicely and sell it. Just like other sports games. Fifa will always be what it is, football. You can't really innovate all that much in the actual gameplay so you'll have to work with new rosters and such along with some "outside" parts, management and so on.

But when it comes to branching off, especially for a racing game that is a bit more diverse (Or at least has the ability to be that, depending on just what type of game it is. But lets keep to a Rally game here). I hadn't played a CMR or any rally game since like.. CMR3 and then eventually I got around to playing Dirt 2 and some Dirt 3 a few years ago after finding that my old microsoft wheel still worked (Retired it now :p). I felt that Dirt 2/3 was kinda trying to do too many things at once. Personally I couldn't get into the whole Baja/Buggies/Trophy trucks and god knows what was in those games. I really just wanted the Rally parts and I could deal with the rallycross stuff though it wasn't a favorite.

I think that because it is essentially a sports game, people don't really expect massive amounts of change. Just improvements on the formula that already works for them. Something to keep in mind is that when comparing to the AC series mentioned earlier is that those games are pretty much just singleplayer and story-based. While a racing game might be singleplayer with its career modes and such, you rarely have much story going on. Some games have done some story in it, sure. A few of the need for speed games did as I recall but I don't think I've ever heard someone say "Oh I really want to replay Need for Speed <something> because the story is so good!" What you're after there is driving pleasure, be it sim, arcade or simcade.

..Dragging this out as it is. I just type stuff and go with it!
/end essay

Edit: Noticed that I didn't really get to the main question. I think that branching off can be good depending on how long it takes for you to make the game. Like here we now got the main "DiRT" series. That is a mix between all types of crazy rally games and fueled by monster energy drink or something. Which establishes DiRT as the "Rally" brand for Codemasters. So they can now do a spin-off for DiRT: Rally to get more "back to the roots" so to speak. Then they might, if people are interested enough in it, make something like DiRT: Dakar that seems to be really popular for some reason (Personally I don't see the appeal. But it doesn't bother me. Because I got a rally series I can play). Then they might go back and make a DiRT 4 that is a bit more casual "dude-bro-upload-dat-shiet-to-j00t00be" and then come back around to make DiRT: Rally 2. For example. Though personally I wouldn't mind if they went straight for that one :p

And back on topic, here have this:

Yes, the previous Dirt titles were pick-up-and-play and lots of casual fun.  
D:R on the other hand, is appreciated on a different level.  Two family members who are big rally fans, visited us a few nights ago.  I wouldn't call them avid 'gamers' really, but got them to give DiRT a go on my comp.   After the initial 1st stage full-on lol welsh WRC crash-fest, we got them into R4's on tarmac and it blew their minds.  They took to it like ducks to water!  
They'll 100% be buying the game now (and everything needed to play it), just a matter of time....

Call of Duty will always be king of copy and paste. I started on no.5 world at war, and stopped two games later. Then I changed to battlefield, which I love, although still has elements of copy and paste, just not year after year.

Then you've missed one of the best games ever made - Call of Duty 2 (still happening in second world war).
CoD wen't **** when they've introduced shitty levels, weapon unlocking, some super power-perks and god knows what the hell else was in the game (I guess it was from 4th part - 3rd was released only for consoles [not counting the Big Red One addition to CoD2).

I've switched to BF from 4th part but I see that DiCE also seeks for some other market areas (Hardline - total shit copy-pasta).

Equim said:
Edit: Noticed that I didn't really get to the main question. I think that branching off can be good depending on how long it takes for you to make the game. Like here we now got the main "DiRT" series. That is a mix between all types of crazy rally games and fueled by monster energy drink or something. Which establishes DiRT as the "Rally" brand for Codemasters. So they can now do a spin-off for DiRT: Rally to get more "back to the roots" so to speak. Then they might, if people are interested enough in it, make something like DiRT: Dakar that seems to be really popular for some reason (Personally I don't see the appeal. But it doesn't bother me. Because I got a rally series I can play). Then they might go back and make a DiRT 4 that is a bit more casual "dude-bro-upload-dat-shiet-to-j00t00be" and then come back around to make DiRT: Rally 2. For example. Though personally I wouldn't mind if they went straight for that one :p

+

See now, Hardline would've been better if it had more content and balance. Though I also don't like most of the maps. And I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'd really like a Dirt style game with all the different genres and DRs physics. Any other racing game (that has any amount of car variety) allows to do specific car class races. DR. started to adopt this, they only do RX, Hillclimb, or rally, but obviously only rally has any content. I like my buggies and trophy trucks, I'd like a simulator to play with them in, but unlike the Dirt series that forced you to play event types you don't like, I want the option to only play the ones you choose.
httpmediaaskideascom11Funny-Bear-Gifgif

^agree with that, I love all the disciplines in the dirt games (yes, including gymkhana and showdowns destruction derby) but I don't like the arcade gameplay as much. If it was done to dirt rally detail it would be great. Although maybe leave the sim demolition derby to another game!

^agree with that, I love all the disciplines in the dirt games (yes, including gymkhana and showdowns destruction derby) but I don't like the arcade gameplay as much. If it was done to dirt rally detail it would be great. Although maybe leave the sim demolition derby to another game!
Ban him for liking Gymkahna :)

seriously though, I liked the Rally raid and stadium truck parts of Dirt 2, not so much the trailblazer, hill climb Pikes Peak is better.  

I I would love to see this sort of stuff in a spinnoff of DiRT Rally.  

The spin-off would likely be a dedicated Rally-X title with more content to mirror the official series

@thecraicbear , have you tried the 900º + soft lock?

You´ll be used to it.. with time, and you will love it. And you will never go back to narrow locks. :)

Promise

OzoreXS said:

You´ll be used to it.. with time, and you will love it. And you will never go back to narrow locks. :)

Promise
You forgot to add a funny bear picture.
httpwwwgifbincombin0420131366820210_bear_catches_salmongif

OzoreXS said:

Promise
I'll give that a go :] thanks! 

i thinking about wich rallycross car i should purchase....

wich one has the best handling, traction & torque when fully upgrded? nedd a good compromise between this parameters

polo?  p208?    or others?    any suggestion appreciated ;)

lovetrain :D             

teknoid85 said:

wich one has the best handling, traction & torque when fully upgrded? nedd a good compromise between this parameters

The 208 handles really well, although it's not the most powerful car.

Avoid the DS3. Terrible handling, in my opinion.

I'm not very fond of RX, but as I've been reading the best choices are often the Fiesta and the 208.

YoMrWhite said:
teknoid85 said:

yes i hate  the ds3

teknoid85 said:
YoMrWhite said:
teknoid85 said:

yes i hate  the ds3
The DS3 handles like porridge in piss.