Jump to content Jump to content

Bear's Happy Place

thecraicbear

gfRally said:
A post by @Rallycameraman we all killed his record by disagreing/spam etc lots of fun and a great guy to roast a little, good sport about it too.  

All in all, your record only counts for how many good friends you've made on the forum, not your disagree checks.  

@BadD0g you seem like a good guy, no worries 
Haha when was that? I've had lots of disagree and some Abuse too :D

I don't come on here as much now, haven't played the game in weeks, and can't talk about 'the future' yet, and I get too frustrated with all the boobs on here these days

JZStudios said:
I'm actually, well... not interested in either of those. Dishonored looks fun, but it's got an artstyle I just don't like. I refuse to play Borderlands for the same reason. I'd much rather skip the cell shading, always an effect I've hated since it just meant artists and texturers can be lazier, which is proofed by Borderlands 2. Looks significantly worse than 1. I'm still excited for my list though, because they're developers that always put out great content. Horizon 3 at worst will be just like Horizon 2 in a new location, and 2 was awesome. The God of War series has been a long time favorite since my brother got them on Ps2 and made me play all the hard parts he couldn't beat, No Man's Sky looks like a game I can play after work and just do literally whatever I want, Kojima has ALWAYS more than delivered, except maybe slightly with MGSV, to which I blame Konami. Horizon Zero Dawn just looks new and interesting at this point, as long as it doesn't fall into the usual repetitive open world type deal that all the Ubisoft games do. The games I'm excited for I know will be great games, their studios are all like Rockstar or better.
I don't have any consoles and I'm currently very anti-Windows 10 so no Forza for me. I watched some YouTubers play Horizon 2, it looks like it's fun to chill and mess around in. I don't think it would hold my attention much as a game though, it does the whole "the player is a hero" thing that really bugs me. DR has me spoiled! I want my racing games to slap me in the face when I mess up, not give me free cars and a bank vault's worth of money.

I definitely wouldn't call Dishonored 'cell shaded.' Maybe 'painterly?' It's definitely stylized. I don't agree with you about the devs getting lazy by using stylization (don't worry, I won't add to your Disagree count ;)  ), Dishonored has a very coherent art direction in my opinion.

Sometimes you can just tell when a game will be good right away, I agree with you there. Ubisoft games though... I don't see why people get excited about them after their frankly dismal track record. They have absolutely no commitment to any of their ideas, all their open world games blend together with the same features and the same really dull, corporate feel. They feel like they either have no personality at all, or the personality they do have feels completely focus-grouped. The side projects they do are a reminder that there are actual humans working there, but if you told me their mainline open world games were all made entirely by marketing data analysis algorithms I would not be surprised.

I get too frustrated with all the boobs on here these days
I think I'd find boobs relaxing.... I feel like I've made too many sexual innuendos recently....
BadD0g said:
JZStudios said:
I'm actually, well... not interested in either of those. Dishonored looks fun, but it's got an artstyle I just don't like. I refuse to play Borderlands for the same reason. I'd much rather skip the cell shading, always an effect I've hated since it just meant artists and texturers can be lazier, which is proofed by Borderlands 2. Looks significantly worse than 1. I'm still excited for my list though, because they're developers that always put out great content. Horizon 3 at worst will be just like Horizon 2 in a new location, and 2 was awesome. The God of War series has been a long time favorite since my brother got them on Ps2 and made me play all the hard parts he couldn't beat, No Man's Sky looks like a game I can play after work and just do literally whatever I want, Kojima has ALWAYS more than delivered, except maybe slightly with MGSV, to which I blame Konami. Horizon Zero Dawn just looks new and interesting at this point, as long as it doesn't fall into the usual repetitive open world type deal that all the Ubisoft games do. The games I'm excited for I know will be great games, their studios are all like Rockstar or better.
I don't have any consoles and I'm currently very anti-Windows 10 so no Forza for me. I watched some YouTubers play Horizon 2, it looks like it's fun to chill and mess around in. I don't think it would hold my attention much as a game though, it does the whole "the player is a hero" thing that really bugs me. DR has me spoiled! I want my racing games to slap me in the face when I mess up, not give me free cars and a bank vault's worth of money.

I definitely wouldn't call Dishonored 'cell shaded.' Maybe 'painterly?' It's definitely stylized. I don't agree with you about the devs getting lazy by using stylization (don't worry, I won't add to your Disagree count ;)  ), Dishonored has a very coherent art direction in my opinion.

Sometimes you can just tell when a game will be good right away, I agree with you there. Ubisoft games though... I don't see why people get excited about them after their frankly dismal track record. They have absolutely no commitment to any of their ideas, all their open world games blend together with the same features and the same really dull, corporate feel. They feel like they either have no personality at all, or the personality they do have feels completely focus-grouped. The side projects they do are a reminder that there are actual humans working there, but if you told me their mainline open world games were all made entirely by marketing data analysis algorithms I would not be surprised.
Yeah, Dishonored is definitely not cell shaded, but it's still an artistic style combined with weirdly proportioned people that I just don't like.
I was really talking about Borderlands. Borderlands 1 was originally going to be a game like any other, without cell shading until one day someone decided to try it or mess with someone, and they liked it for some god knows why reason. AS a result, the textures and details in Borderlands 1 are way higher quality than 2, since for 2 they knew they were going for a cartoony look, so everything was less detailed. It irks me.
I used to really like Ubisoft games, the Splinter Cell series being a favorite, but now.. yeah, all their games are blending together. Still have some hopes for GR Wildlands though. I honestly just want it to be like MGSV and I'll be happy. I was excited for the Division until the very second I found out it was a level based RPG shooter. Any interest was immediately lost.

I REALLY liked the campaign in Horizon 1, and the AI, before drivatars, was actually really competent and offered some resistance, even on the medium setting. I also used a pad, but that's what I had.
Horizon 2 had a dead campaign compared to 1, and there really wasn't a good progression through it. You run through a bunch of races starting from like 6 points around the map, do the final race, then do it all again, then the game was beaten, but there were still more races to do. There really just wasn't a campaign.

JZStudios said:
You talking about the boobs thing?
Out-of-context Quote of the Day!  :D

To me it looked like GR Wildlands was MGSV except devoid of any personality or self-awareness. If you're just looking for gameplay, maybe it'll work for you. I got MGSV for free with my graphics card, and having not played a Metal Gear game before I found it to be pretty fun. What worked for me about it was how it encourages you to let ridiculous things happen, rather than punishing you for making any mistakes. I worry that Wildlands won't trust the player as much.

I did end up getting open-world fatigue with MGSV and never finished it, but I think that's more of a personal problem than a game problem since I have a really hard time finishing open world games these days. I know I'd never be able to finish an open world game with the kind of rich, dynamic, and vibrant personality that Ubisoft games are known for. /sarcasm

BadD0g said:
JZStudios said:
Out-of-context Quote of the Day!  :D

To me it looked like GR Wildlands was MGSV except devoid of any personality or self-awareness. If you're just looking for gameplay, maybe it'll work for you. I got MGSV for free with my graphics card, and having not played a Metal Gear game before I found it to be pretty fun. What worked for me about it was how it encourages you to let ridiculous things happen, rather than punishing you for making any mistakes. I worry that Wildlands won't trust the player as much.

I did end up getting open-world fatigue with MGSV and never finished it, but I think that's more of a personal problem than a game problem since I have a really hard time finishing open world games these days. I know I'd never be able to finish an open world game with the kind of rich, dynamic, and vibrant personality that Ubisoft games are known for. /sarcasm
MGSV fell a little flat on the story side, it was all going good until... it just stopped. The gameplay and stealth were basically perfect, but the story really feels like it's only 1/3 of what it should be. V was supposed to be the final conclusive chapter in the series to tie up all the loose ends and questionable points. I can't really elaborate since you didn't play any prior ones... but as long as Wildlands has a similar gameplay with some more realistic approaches, I'll like it. I do agree though, open world games are supposed to give you infinitely more freedom, but most just get repetitive too quickly. Metal Gears always been pretty good at combining really serious tones with goofy Japanese anime style bullshit complete with action and Snakes regenerative properties staring at boobs.... not even kidding, MGS4. It's a game that sets a serious tone, but also knows how BS it is and has fun with it. I seriously recommend you play MGS3 in any way you can, it's the most in depth game I've ever seen. Things you wouldn't expect to work do, in ways that are genuinely amazing. Guards have radios you can shoot out so they can't call backup, you can blow up ammo and food dumps so they have to switch to secondary weapons and they starve. You can throw rotten/poisoned/sleeping mushrooms at hungry guards, and they'll get sick, knocked out, or die. You can even use that tactic on a boss by throwing out poison dart frogs. He even COMMENTS about it, a tactic no one should really think of, THEY THOUGHT ABOUT IN ADVANCE. There's a point where you can kill a boss early, which dramatically changes the MASSIVE location you have a sniping battle with him in. There's disguises you can wear that will make enemy's salute you as you stroll up and knock them out with a sleep gas cigar box. There's a full in depth damage/injury/minor surgery thing complete with the ability to spin snake around in the menu, then when you go back in game, he'll vomit. And it gets rid of poison doing that. The games incredible, and I don't think there's any other game even close to the amount of depth it has.
Oh, and you can also throw smoke grenades inside a crocodiles mouth.
And sneak around wearing a Croc Cap that makes enemies think your a croc coming around the corner, but only when laying down. It's nuts.

gfRally said:
JZStudios said:
gfRally said:
@JZStudios never understood the idea of calling someone that when they are great to be around.  I am trying to be vague on purpose XD
Wait... what?
If I'm not talking about rally and gaming I'm talking about them. 
I somehow usually end up talking about boobs every time I talk to a girl.... weird thing is I don't bring it up.

Just thought I would drop back in now that the wave of wingers from the console release looks to be subsiding.

Picked up Assetto Corsa on the Steam sale, a hillclimb event my league put on got me interested and laser scanned Nordschleife sealed the deal. I am also challenging myself to use a gamepad, and finding it works fairly well. I was able to jump in an AE86 and run a lap around The Green Hell with only one off into the grass on my first go. Still kind of awkward with faster cars, so I am hoping the console release will come with better gamepad support.

REALLY hyped for Forza Horizon 3 on PC, Forza Apex is such a tease, a sweet taste of what's to come. But it looks amazing at 1440p/60Hz, and it looks like they have most the G-Sync issues worked out on UWP, and I expect they will have wheel support worked out before Horizons 3 comes out. I would rather simply have Forza 6, but just the promise of Forza on PC, along with the Apex teaser is enough for me. I bought an Xbox 360 just for the series, and even tho I am a huge fan, the current generation of console was just too far behind PC at launch to make it a consideration. Now I am glad I held out!

dgeesi0 said:
got doom 4 enjoying it. also assetto corsa again and actually found some wheel settings that make it enjoyable. :D
Yeah, until the lack of content makes you bored, combined with paid DLC for the same cars that are already in the game....
Played about 15 minutes of Doom at my local computer store on my lunch break one day. :P Died from... something that I'm not convinced was there.
JZStudios said:
So, anyways, anyone find any good deals or anything interesting on the Steam summer sale?
Bioshock trilogy is dirt (hah) cheap at the moment, I scraped together a few euros just to buy it.
I remember "borrowing" the original Bioshock from a friend for the 360. They just don't really seem like they have much replay in it... combined with the fact that they like to give you story endings that make no sense, especially when you start thinking about it.It's like they tried to make a suspenseful "What actually happened?" ending, but it just flatout doesn't make any sense.
enamel said:
Just thought I would drop back in now that the wave of wingers from the console release looks to be subsiding.

Picked up Assetto Corsa on the Steam sale, a hillclimb event my league put on got me interested and laser scanned Nordschleife sealed the deal. I am also challenging myself to use a gamepad, and finding it works fairly well. I was able to jump in an AE86 and run a lap around The Green Hell with only one off into the grass on my first go. Still kind of awkward with faster cars, so I am hoping the console release will come with better gamepad support.

REALLY hyped for Forza Horizon 3 on PC, Forza Apex is such a tease, a sweet taste of what's to come. But it looks amazing at 1440p/60Hz, and it looks like they have most the G-Sync issues worked out on UWP, and I expect they will have wheel support worked out before Horizons 3 comes out. I would rather simply have Forza 6, but just the promise of Forza on PC, along with the Apex teaser is enough for me. I bought an Xbox 360 just for the series, and even tho I am a huge fan, the current generation of console was just too far behind PC at launch to make it a consideration. Now I am glad I held out!
Oof, you got the Japanese pack? I'm not sure I think it's worth it. I got the base game and Nordschliefe, and that's about all I play on, with either the X-bow or the Lotus 49.
I, too am super hyped about Horizon 3, and at least I know it'll deliver. The more I see about it, the better it looks. I just want to be able to change FOV and run my triple screens.... drool... I still am super butthurt Apple didn't make their 5k iMac a display, or I'd plug my PC into my friends. They do say they'll have wheel support at launch, just wondering how many wheels/custom wheels they support. Some better FFB options would be sweet too.
I figured out how to get my screenshots from Horizon 2.

If I could get those pictures at something like 4k, ohhh..... good feelings....

and one last Zonda picture.

God that cars beautiful...

Well, I just hope that Forza Horizon 3 will have standard F12 Berlinetta, not just the overdone tdf12 version, which IMO is hideous. Dodge Viper SRT-10 ACR is confirmed, so that's definitely a car I'll be driving more than majority of time :D
Also hoping they'll add the Nissan NISMO Skyline R34 GT-R Z-Tune as well, since just a bodykit for standard R34 V-Spec II doesn't really do it for me. It doesn't include the vastly different engine, chassis and carbon fibre body. Small chances for that though, but who knows...

Also, GRIP is close to getting Multiplayer update finally :D Can't wait to blow cars up while racing against actual humans, rather than just AI.

The Playground guys should be releasing the car list along these next few weeks leading up to release. With any luck, not sure if they've said or not, it'll have at least most of the cars from Forza 6. I think these two companies working together can really help the car count increase while keeping the same fidelity.

Well, in lieu of anyone else's happy news, it recently rained here, which it doesn't do often, however I'm going to skip over the awful road planning we have with storm drains on high ground and the streets flooding over the curbs, combined with people who've apparently never seen water before causing me to take an hour to get to work.... cough... and skip to after work. I went to my little local trail head at the back of my neighborhood, it's a rather spacious dirt lot that clears out at night, and having some slightly moist dirt, as the rain had stopped, and a larger puddle in one corner, I decided it was a good idea to try out the silly stick in my car. It didn't go very well, I don't think FWD cars are meant to slide like that... more tests are needed. A lot of understeer happened, and I almost booped the fence a few times. Needless to say, the combined efforts of fording the rivers we call streets, and doing some fun in mud, I'll need a wash, luckily I know a place I no longer work at where I can stroll through and flip everyone off as I come out the tunnel and take off.
Anyways, we also have a second trailhead further down a nice fun windy road, and coming back is great because it's all downhill so I throw it in neutral and coast at like 45-50MPh... oh, wait, you guys are European types... hold on.. 75 KMh... lots of fun.

@JZStudios  I think I saw in another thread you live in Tucson?   I was there a few years back (ouch I guess its been 10 years).  So I keep thinking trailheads for Mountain Bikes..  but I remember seeing the surrounding desert areas from the air, it looked like all kinds of dirt paths? I assumed where some sort of roads.

gfRally said:

@JZStudios  I think I saw in another thread you live in Tucson?   I was there a few years back (ouch I guess its been 10 years).  So I keep thinking trailheads for Mountain Bikes..  but I remember seeing the surrounding desert areas from the air, it looked like all kinds of dirt paths? I assumed where some sort of roads.
Uhh, outside of Tucson there are. 2 things about that though, 1. our roads suck enough they may as well be dirt, and 2. since I live just outside of city limits there's a small amount of dirt roads that I took my car down and uhh... well my car has low clearance and soft springs so I just slam into the ground. If my brother ever gets around to fixing his baja bug, that things great, you can full throttle over speed bumps and the short wheelbase and lightness of the car, you don't even feel them. I know a lot of people give Beetles a bad rap, but the older ones are actually fantastic for street and off road. My brother used to live out more in this desert area called picture rocks, thats basically all hicks, crackheads, and dirt roads and he'd powerslide around all the corners. He'd probably use handbrake, but his was shot.

And yes, most of them are bike/hiking trails, if I had a more off roady vehicle than a 2003 seafoam green Elantra with so much body roll it feels like it's going to flip, I'd probably look for some dirt roads, but as it stands, I know where all the fun twisty roads in my neighborhood are. on that note, my brothers Baja has almost no body roll, and such a low center of gravity it can do some pretty steep inclines without rolling. Back to ride height, my car irritatingly isn't high enough to clear curbs, so when I park at a curb I just wait for the bottom of my bumper to slam into the curb and that's where I stop.

My first car was a Beetle ('72) it was lots of fun, I always liked the baja/dune buggies that people made from them.  People buy Polaris Razors around  here (PA) but I think it would be best suited for your area, much more open and flat out.

gfRally said:
My first car was a Beetle ('72) it was lots of fun, I always liked the baja/dune buggies that people made from them.  People buy Polaris Razors around  here (PA) but I think it would be best suited for your area, much more open and flat out.

I've seen some people with the Razors around, not sure how they stack up against a beetle, except I'd rather have an enclosed car than open cockpit. Otherwise I'd just get a sand rail.

Archived