Jump to content Jump to content

Bear's Happy Place

thecraicbear

@JZStudios much more expensive and more expensive parts, but probably a lot stronger.

it all amounts to what you enjoy, I would love a Baja bug, but a roll cage is a must for me with how I like to drive with very little fear (note: this is necessarily a good attribute). 

So if I roll a beetle or a razor which will I survive?  If I lived out there I bought it running and have fun! 

So I was having issues with Steam and I did the usual "delete everything except steam.exe and steamapps," and emptied the recycle bin thinking nothing of it. I've done this in the past no problem. Guess where Dirt Rally puts its save files! -_-

I wasn't really doing anything in the career mode except the odd custom championship, so I guess it's not really a big loss. I'll be able to try shorter championships now, without engineers too. I guess there's a silver lining in that the skill I've gained is stored in my brain and not some userdata folder.

gfRally said:
@JZStudios much more expensive and more expensive parts, but probably a lot stronger.

it all amounts to what you enjoy, I would love a Baja bug, but a roll cage is a must for me with how I like to drive with very little fear (note: this is necessarily a good attribute). 

So if I roll a beetle or a razor which will I survive?  If I lived out there I bought it running and have fun! 

Beetles are surprisingly sturdy, and if you baja it, well 1, they're still very hard to roll, and 2, you can easily put a roll cage in one. My dads friend runs a shop called Bugs n buggies and he just does custom beetles and sandrails, and a few old Porsche 356's and some buses, Ghias, etc...
I'm also very limited in my career. I think I've got like 2 hours in it.

JZStudios said:
gfRally said:

Beetles are surprisingly sturdy, and if you baja it, well 1, they're still very hard to roll, and 2, you can easily put a roll cage in one. My dads friend runs a shop called Bugs n buggies and he just does custom beetles and sandrails, and a few old Porsche 356's and some buses, Ghias, etc...
You would know more than me about how sturdy they are.  My 'off road' experience in a beetle is pulling out of my parents driveway :) 

gfRally said:
JZStudios said:
gfRally said:

You would know more than me about how sturdy they are.  My 'off road' experience in a beetle is pulling out of my parents driveway :) 
Well, my dad was really into them when he was younger, he modded the hell out of it. He'd drag race Porsche's and win, off the line at least, top speed probably wasn't great. You could also go mud bogging and just basically float over the mud. And apparently, they used to have such good seals that they would float.... but I've never tried it. My best example is when the TG guys went across Africa and at the end called the Beetle the best car because it never had a single problem.

When I was doing a recce run on Geufron Forest I noticed a nice feature. The windscreen gets dirty after a watersplash and no wipers applied (water dries off  by itself). Then it stays on even when wipers operate. It only takes another watersplash to get rid of the dirt from the windscreen! Cool...
https://youtu.be/chnyhQlKMAY

Since I accidentally deleted my career save, I've been starting over in the Open championship with one engineer and an un-upgraded Alpine. It's fun seeing how far I've come since I started playing, I remember when getting podium in Open was a big deal. What I like even more though is not having a pro crew to rebuild my entire car every other stage, I actually have to think about damage now. I may try a long Master difficulty custom championship with one engineer as a challenge to see how much the damage comes into play when you can't repair it.

BadD0g said:
Since I accidentally deleted my career save, I've been starting over in the Open championship with one engineer and an un-upgraded Alpine. It's fun seeing how far I've come since I started playing, I remember when getting podium in Open was a big deal. What I like even more though is not having a pro crew to rebuild my entire car every other stage, I actually have to think about damage now. I may try a long Master difficulty custom championship with one engineer as a challenge to see how much the damage comes into play when you can't repair it.
That will get a bit of longevity from DR till whatever comes next and whenever time that will be (sorry for being so vague).  Hopefully its not 3 years off.  

I bought Project CARS during the last Steam sale, and have really been enjoying it. Was scrolling through the Toyota 86 liveries, and saw a Toyota Castrol Team livery, which made me happy.

Then I remembered I won't be driving a Castrol Toyota in DR, and I had a sad.

dwkGravey said:
I bought Project CARS during the last Steam sale, and have really been enjoying it. Was scrolling through the Toyota 86 liveries, and saw a Toyota Castrol Team livery, which made me happy.

I was actually messing around in PCars and found out you can rev match shift without clutch. Pretty neat. If it's not matched it grinds gears. Haven't bothered trying it in anything else. You get your wheel settings all set up right? The FFB is actually really good when it's finally dialed in right.

JZStudios said:
dwkGravey said:

I was actually messing around in PCars and found out you can rev match shift without clutch. Pretty neat. If it's not matched it grinds gears. Haven't bothered trying it in anything else. You get your wheel settings all set up right? The FFB is actually really good when it's finally dialed in right.
No wheel, I'm fake arcade popcorn player. Default controller setup and rumble feedback are pretty good though!

dwkGravey said:
JZStudios said:
dwkGravey said:

No wheel, I'm fake arcade popcorn player. Default controller setup and rumble feedback are pretty good though!
Ew.                                                                         

dwkGravey said:
JZStudios said:
dwkGravey said:

PREACH, MY CONTROLLER PLAYING BROTHER. 

tbtstt said:
dwkGravey said:
JZStudios said:
dwkGravey said:

PREACH, MY CONTROLLER PLAYING BROTHER. 

controllers are for babies

• 2 weeks later...
I need happiness.

I just set a WR, but the driving was so incredibly poor, so I tried to improve it. It took me 2 hours of restarts until I nailed a run... absolutely perfect!

But it was 3 seconds slower?

What the fuck? How is it even possible...

I need me some of those happy thoughts that Robin Williams had in Hook.

I need happiness.

I just set a WR, but the driving was so incredibly poor, so I tried to improve it. It took me 2 hours of restarts until I nailed a run... absolutely perfect!

But it was 3 seconds slower?

What the ****? How is it even possible...

I need me some of those happy thoughts that Robin Williams had in Hook.
Well I've heard Robins still hangin around here somewhere....

Archived