Jump to content Jump to content

Bear's Happy Place

thecraicbear

I like that photo, but I'm sorry @Rallycameraman, those film holes at the corners simply do not make sense. If this was really shot over the edge of the film (which is possible in some medium format cameras), there would be no exposure inside the holes and the edges of the holes would appear a little burned since the emulsion layer is not coated evenly there. Harumph.

Source: I shoot film as a hobby

;) 

BadD0g said:
I like that photo, but I'm sorry @Rallycameraman, those film holes at the corners simply do not make sense. If this was really shot over the edge of the film (which is possible in some medium format cameras), there would be no exposure inside the holes and the edges of the holes would appear a little burned since the emulsion layer is not coated evenly there. Harumph.

;) 
If you click back to the last page of the forum there's a screenshot topic Lee put out. So, Luke didn't take that picture. Or edit it. But yeah, it's kind of a dumb effect.

BadD0g said:

;) 

wow,  not every day or rarely at all do I hear someone talk about a medium format camera!   My father has a few MF cameras and a large format field camera.  He uses them quite often, too.  I have a  Yashicamat twin lens that I use, but with digital, it's so hard for me to go back to film anymore.  Glad to hear someone keeping film alive.

gfRally said:
BadD0g said:

;) 

wow,  not every day or rarely at all do I hear someone talk about a medium format camera!   My father has a few MF cameras and a large format field camera.  He uses them quite often, too.  I have a  Yashicamat twin lens that I use, but with digital, it's so hard for me to go back to film anymore.  Glad to hear someone keeping film alive.
My brother picked up a Canon AE-1 from an estate sale somewhere last year abouts, it had the full instruction manual and 2 very nice lenses. He swore he would try it out, shortly before just giving it away to some one who probably doesn't even care. I never got to try it either...

JZStudios said:
gfRally said:
BadD0g said:

;) 

My brother picked up a Canon AE-1 from an estate sale somewhere last year abouts, it had the full instruction manual and 2 very nice lenses. He swore he would try it out, shortly before just giving it away to some one who probably doesn't even care. I never got to try it either...
Yeah, thats sad, too bad the lenses aren't interchangeable like nikons F-mount, they may have been worth keeping.  

What really makes film cameras difficult is lack of places to develop the pictures.  I think some drug stores may still, but I'm sure the quality is very low due to the chemicals needed to process the negatives get old in time, certainly with lack of use.  I believe that once the negatives are processed they are ran through a film scanner and its all digital from there.  

Anyhow lots of road blocks if you don't have your own darkroom.  

gfRally said:
JZStudios said:
gfRally said:
BadD0g said:

;) 

Yeah, thats sad, too bad the lenses aren't interchangeable like nikons F-mount, they may have been worth keeping.  

What really makes film cameras difficult is lack of places to develop the pictures.  I think some drug stores may still, but I'm sure the quality is very low due to the chemicals needed to process the negatives get old in time, certainly with lack of use.  I believe that once the negatives are processed they are ran through a film scanner and its all digital from there.  

Anyhow lots of road blocks if you don't have your own darkroom.  
Yep. Few years ago those Kodak disposable film cameras were big, and every Walgreens had a photo department, think they've all closed down now. I want to try film, but I also don't want to buy an already frankly outdated medium. Most of the film developers either closed down or moved on too.

You do have to look hard for good labs. I use a pro mail-in lab in Utah (when you have to ship the film out to get good quality work done, it doesn't really matter where in the US it goes), which is pricey but the only other option is self-development or cheapo drug stores. Some drug stores don't let you keep the negatives any more. I don't do my own developing because I like having my film scanned to a high-res digital file, which is really difficult to do well with home equipment. If I'm going to have a lab do the scanning, might as well have them develop it too. They're professionals for a reason, right?

So it is pretty expensive, but it's a lot of fun. I have a Nikon F3HP for when I want to shoot with manual lenses, and a cheapo Canon Rebel G with a modern 40mm f2.8 lens that I use for autofocus. I've been shooting with those two for about two years, it's been a really fun challenge and I learned a whole lot about the nuances of how photography really works because you need to get everything right in camera.

I haven't tried medium format yet, the equipment is pretty expensive compared to 35mm stuff (my Rebel G is worth $5 for example) but the look you get from the bigger film size is really amazing. I went to a swap meet a few years ago where someone was selling a complete Hasselblad kit (body, lens, vewifinder, and two film backs) for $340, which is a ridiculous bargain for those cameras, but I didn't have the money at the time and had to let it go. I'll never forget that one! I doubt those cameras will be getting much cheaper any time soon.

Didzis said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY3mGwtQeaQ
This looks both awesome and terrifying. Wouldn't mind having one in DiRT though. DR needs some goofy cars, just like the Transit van or the 2CV in the old CMR games
I enjoyed tgese in Dirt 1.  Updated with everything we have now, it would be awesome to race a building with wheels 

JZStudios said:
I keep saying I'm down for it. Many believe it'll make it arcade for some reason.
Didzis said:
JZStudios said:
Many believe it'll make it arcade for some reason.
That just doesn't make sense. Even if they put in Gymkhana, that wouldn't make the game arcade if it had acurate handling
Starting to see a lot of popcorn players in this thread.  ;)

tbtstt said:
JZStudios said:
I keep saying I'm down for it. Many believe it'll make it arcade for some reason.
Didzis said:
JZStudios said:
Many believe it'll make it arcade for some reason.
That just doesn't make sense. Even if they put in Gymkhana, that wouldn't make the game arcade if it had acurate handling
Starting to see a lot of popcorn players in this thread.  ;)
Popcorns my favorite dinner, next to pizza and cheesecake.

If we have the proper and correct/realistic stages (don't repurpose Finland for the big trucks) and the same physics then I see no reason to have these in the game.  I would love to see the Baja trucks and buggies back at their proper locations as well (Baja of course and Lucas oil 400).  I wouldn't step away from rally too much farther than these disciplines, but I do think they add to the game.  

Another Dirt1 feature that I liked where the Super Specials (1on1 separate tracks).  I know many like it, but I would rather have this than Rallycross, its just my opinion mostly because I'm terrible at WRX.   

gfRally said:
If we have the proper and correct/realistic stages (don't repurpose Finland for the big trucks) and the same physics then I see no reason to have these in the game.  I would love to see the Baja trucks and buggies back at their proper locations as well (Baja of course and Lucas oil 400).  I wouldn't step away from rally too much farther than these disciplines, but I do think they add to the game.  
I'd still like a proper all cars - all tracks option available in the game and not have certain cars bound to certain tracks. You could have the track restrictions in career for proper racing, but have every car available for every track in time trials or custom events. I mean, who wouldn't want to have a go in that colosos of a Kamaz on a narrow Finnish stage just for shits and giggles? :D 

Didzis said:
gfRally said:
I'd still like a proper all cars - all tracks option available in the game and not have certain cars bound to certain tracks. You could have the track restrictions in career for proper racing, but have every car available for every track in time trials or custom events. I mean, who wouldn't want to have a go in that colosos of a Kamaz on a narrow Finnish stage just for shits and giggles? :D 

Although that could be fun, not sure if that adds to the game, agin IMHO.

BUT similar to what you want, there where some awsome Pikes Peak style cars in D2 trailblazer events, which where PPcars anyhow, but this was probably licensing money spent on Seb Loebs car, and thats ok too.

JZStudios said:
Alrighty then Porky....
Was wondering where you were Bear.
In unrelated news, I've decided to finally start building a Porsche 911 GT1 model that we've had for the past 10+ years, of which the entire time I've been wanting to build it.
What scale? I'm building a 1/48 Dornier Do-335 "Pfeil" at the moment, as well as a 1/24 Fokker Dr. 1 by Merit.

Archived