Jump to content Jump to content

Bear's Happy Place


thecraicbear

Recommended Posts

I was looking in the Custom Liveries thread and saw that @mcmattila built a Tamiya M05. Nice looking car! You replicated that livery nicely. Masking inside a lexan body is a bit of a pain but it's worth it in the end. I've actually built an M06 just recently, I decided to start with an ND MX5 shell while I get the hang of driving it, but the kit I bought included the Alpine A110 shell, so I have that body ready to paint sometime in the future. I'm still deciding if I want to go with the standard works livery, or try to replicate DR's Barracuda livery. I love that one, it would probably be pretty hard to mask though.

Here's the build thread for my Miata if anyone's interested: http://scalebuildersguild.com/forum/showthread.php?24824-DougJ-s-M06-ND-Miata


Link to comment
Share on other sites

In unrelated news, decided on a whim to go up my local mountain. Hit it right at the golden hour, and the clouds made a very pretty sunset as I rose to the top at about 65mph. Oh, and the mountains much more fun at 65 rather than the suggested 30.

I suppose it also helps that I have new tires on my rear after discovering they were about 15 seconds from blowing out....

That's about the best the crappy camera on the iPhone 4s will do. It's also the only place I stopped to let the slow guy in front of me get further up the road.
I also may or may not have passed a guy on the descent..... at 50.... in a hairpin. Seriously, who goes up a mountain just to ride the brakes the ENTIRE way down? Luckily I only caught him right at the end.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

BadD0g said:
I was looking in the Custom Liveries thread and saw that @mcmattila built a Tamiya M05. Nice looking car! You replicated that livery nicely. Masking inside a lexan body is a bit of a pain but it's worth it in the end. I've actually built an M06 just recently, I decided to start with an ND MX5 shell while I get the hang of driving it, but the kit I bought included the Alpine A110 shell, so I have that body ready to paint sometime in the future. I'm still deciding if I want to go with the standard works livery, or try to replicate DR's Barracuda livery. I love that one, it would probably be pretty hard to mask though.

Here's the build thread for my Miata if anyone's interested: http://scalebuildersguild.com/forum/showthread.php?24824-DougJ-s-M06-ND-Miata
Thanks for the compliment! Yeah, masking the inside of the body was not too fun, but the body came out surprisingly nice! Of course I had some nasty overspray, which I should have taken time to try and clean out. But oh well, I'll try to be more careful with the next bodies (I've already got two in the mail :D). You on the other hand seem to have done a lot better with the masking, really clean looking paint and a nice paint scheme! The double blade method to cut body line tape from vinyl sheets is also interesting, I'll have to keep that in mind.

I hope to see your A110 paint job in the future. The Barracuda livery looks like a challenge, but not impossible. Just get some tape for curves and go for it!

I've also been eyeing the M06, with the Alfa Giulia GTA body. Maybe for Christmas...
Link to comment
Share on other sites

JZStudios said:
In unrelated news, decided on a whim to go up my local mountain. Hit it right at the golden hour, and the clouds made a very pretty sunset as I rose to the top at about 65mph. Oh, and the mountains much more fun at 65 rather than the suggested 30.

I suppose it also helps that I have new tires on my rear after discovering they were about 15 seconds from blowing out....

That's about the best the crappy camera on the iPhone 4s will do. It's also the only place I stopped to let the slow guy in front of me get further up the road.
I also may or may not have passed a guy on the descent..... at 50.... in a hairpin. Seriously, who goes up a mountain just to ride the brakes the ENTIRE way down? Luckily I only caught him right at the end.
I'm sure its not but that looks like rt14 bighorn mountain, in Wyoming. 


Link to comment
Share on other sites

gfRally said:
JZStudios said:
In unrelated news, decided on a whim to go up my local mountain. Hit it right at the golden hour, and the clouds made a very pretty sunset as I rose to the top at about 65mph. Oh, and the mountains much more fun at 65 rather than the suggested 30.

I suppose it also helps that I have new tires on my rear after discovering they were about 15 seconds from blowing out....

That's about the best the crappy camera on the iPhone 4s will do. It's also the only place I stopped to let the slow guy in front of me get further up the road.
I also may or may not have passed a guy on the descent..... at 50.... in a hairpin. Seriously, who goes up a mountain just to ride the brakes the ENTIRE way down? Luckily I only caught him right at the end.
I'm sure its not but that looks like rt14 bighorn mountain, in Wyoming. 


Nope. Souther. I didn't really expect to drive 120 miles, but, whatever. Worth it. It's Mt. Lemmon, and the road to the top is almost 30 miles. Took a good bit of time to come back down at 65.
Edit* My dad's spent a lot of time in that area of Wyoming/Colorado/Montana, which gets a bit annoying, because he can tell exactly where a picture was taken and when based on the size/type of that tree he peed on once or that rock that looks like someones head.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

mcmattila said:
Thanks for the compliment! Yeah, masking the inside of the body was not too fun, but the body came out surprisingly nice! Of course I had some nasty overspray, which I should have taken time to try and clean out. But oh well, I'll try to be more careful with the next bodies (I've already got two in the mail :D). You on the other hand seem to have done a lot better with the masking, really clean looking paint and a nice paint scheme! The double blade method to cut body line tape from vinyl sheets is also interesting, I'll have to keep that in mind.

I hope to see your A110 paint job in the future. The Barracuda livery looks like a challenge, but not impossible. Just get some tape for curves and go for it!

I've also been eyeing the M06, with the Alfa Giulia GTA body. Maybe for Christmas...
Thank you! I've painted a few injection molded ABS bodies for offroad 4x4s, so I'm pretty comfortable with painting and masking. Lexan takes a bit of extra thinking though since you're painting inside and the order of your colors really matters. The M06 probably won't handle as good as a well set up M05, just because of the layout, but so far I've enjoyed driving it. The suspension is a little odd with the stock pogo sticks (the back end likes to bottom out on my bumpy driveway), but that can be sorted with a proper set of dampers.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

BadD0g said:
mcmattila said:
-snip-
Thank you! I've painted a few injection molded ABS bodies for offroad 4x4s, so I'm pretty comfortable with painting and masking. Lexan takes a bit of extra thinking though since you're painting inside and the order of your colors really matters. The M06 probably won't handle as good as a well set up M05, just because of the layout, but so far I've enjoyed driving it. The suspension is a little odd with the stock pogo sticks (the back end likes to bottom out on my bumpy driveway), but that can be sorted with a proper set of dampers.
Yeah, I've read that the M06 is much harder than the M05 to drive well, but a few people also said that the M06 can be faster if properly set up. And everyone seems to say that the M06 is much more fun! But I'm not too concerned about which one handles better, since I'm just starting out and haven't really gotten into the setup-part of the hobby, nor am I competing (yet). Just having fun and trying to get through a lap without rolling over :D.

And if/when I'm getting the M06 kit, some oil dampers and a ball bearing set are definitely on the shopping list as well!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
Thought someone might apreciate it, a school project I'm working on. We have to choose a car, make a 1:10 scale model of it in styrofoam, after that there's gonna be a cast of it in plaster and that will be put in a vacuum press to make the finall product in plastic. This is the fist part, still very work in progress. Still needs a lot of sanding and the headlights are just mockups, to see how it will look


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Didzis said:
Thought someone might apreciate it, a school project I'm working on. We have to choose a car, make a 1:10 scale model of it in styrofoam, after that there's gonna be a cast of it in plaster and that will be put in a vacuum press to make the finall product in plastic. This is the fist part, still very work in progress. Still needs a lot of sanding and the headlights are just mockups, to see how it will look


Interesting school project. What sort of class is that for?
tbtstt said:
JZStudios said:
So.... I uhh... I'm not sure.

https://youtu.be/JRvHhJOeTQY

I came across that, trust me, it gets dumber. I missed the backfires though...

Girls und Panzer?
Apparently. I watched a video on Japanese pachinko machines, because I don't know what they are, and apparently that's a popular one. Someone left a video link in the comments.
That V8 tank sure sounds good though.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

JZStudios said:
Didzis said:
Thought someone might apreciate it, a school project I'm working on. We have to choose a car, make a 1:10 scale model of it in styrofoam, after that there's gonna be a cast of it in plaster and that will be put in a vacuum press to make the finall product in plastic. This is the fist part, still very work in progress. Still needs a lot of sanding and the headlights are just mockups, to see how it will look


Interesting school project. What sort of class is that for?
tbtstt said:
JZStudios said:
So.... I uhh... I'm not sure.

https://youtu.be/JRvHhJOeTQY

I came across that, trust me, it gets dumber. I missed the backfires though...

Girls und Panzer?
Apparently. I watched a video on Japanese pachinko machines, because I don't know what they are, and apparently that's a popular one. Someone left a video link in the comments.
That V8 tank sure sounds good though.
I haven't seen it in it's entirety, but the bits of the anime I have seen are pretty entertaining (if not entirely realistic). Also one of the few anime I have seen where the inclusion of schoolgirls actually seems related to the plot and not pervy!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

tbtstt said:
JZStudios said:
Didzis said:
Thought someone might apreciate it, a school project I'm working on. We have to choose a car, make a 1:10 scale model of it in styrofoam, after that there's gonna be a cast of it in plaster and that will be put in a vacuum press to make the finall product in plastic. This is the fist part, still very work in progress. Still needs a lot of sanding and the headlights are just mockups, to see how it will look


Interesting school project. What sort of class is that for?
tbtstt said:
JZStudios said:
So.... I uhh... I'm not sure.

https://youtu.be/JRvHhJOeTQY

I came across that, trust me, it gets dumber. I missed the backfires though...

Girls und Panzer?
Apparently. I watched a video on Japanese pachinko machines, because I don't know what they are, and apparently that's a popular one. Someone left a video link in the comments.
That V8 tank sure sounds good though.
I haven't seen it in it's entirety, but the bits of the anime I have seen are pretty entertaining (if not entirely realistic). Also one of the few anime I have seen where the inclusion of schoolgirls actually seems related to the plot and not pervy!
Not entirely realistic? How about completely! :D I've also seen a few anime shows that take place in a school and weren't pervy... all the time. I guarantee there's some stuff going down in that show. I also like the goofy dumb anime shows, they're fun to watch while I fall asleep, but wow that one looks super dumb.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Didzis said:
Thought someone might apreciate it, a school project I'm working on. We have to choose a car, make a 1:10 scale model of it in styrofoam, after that there's gonna be a cast of it in plaster and that will be put in a vacuum press to make the finall product in plastic. This is the fist part, still very work in progress. Still needs a lot of sanding and the headlights are just mockups, to see how it will look


Cool! So you're going to vacuform it like a lexan RC body? The overhang on the rear and the nose might not pull very well. HPI makes a Stratos body, they solved that problem by essentially cutting the rear end off of the buck and turning it taillights-up, so it gets pulled as a separate piece.

I'm not sure how Tamiya does it, but they usually use three-piece molds so they can get more detail on the front and rear of the cars, but they still manage to pull them from one piece of lexan - you can see the seam lines if you look closely. It's probably magic or something.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

BadD0g said:
Didzis said:
Thought someone might apreciate it, a school project I'm working on. We have to choose a car, make a 1:10 scale model of it in styrofoam, after that there's gonna be a cast of it in plaster and that will be put in a vacuum press to make the finall product in plastic. This is the fist part, still very work in progress. Still needs a lot of sanding and the headlights are just mockups, to see how it will look


Cool! So you're going to vacuform it like a lexan RC body? The overhang on the rear and the nose might not pull very well. HPI makes a Stratos body, they solved that problem by essentially cutting the rear end off of the buck and turning it taillights-up, so it gets pulled as a separate piece.

I'm not sure how Tamiya does it, but they usually use three-piece molds so they can get more detail on the front and rear of the cars, but they still manage to pull them from one piece of lexan - you can see the seam lines if you look closely. It's probably magic or something.
If it's a vacuum heat formed lexan body it's just going to be a metal CNC'd mold. Actually, thinking about it, if he finishes up the entire model he could just make an upper and a lower. Fusing the plastic would be a pain though. Could potentially use some acetone or epoxy...
Link to comment
Share on other sites

JZStudios said:
Interesting school project. What sort of class is that for?
3D modelling class
BadD0g said:
Cool! So you're going to vacuform it like a lexan RC body? The overhang on the rear and the nose might not pull very well. HPI makes a Stratos body, they solved that problem by essentially cutting the rear end off of the buck and turning it taillights-up, so it gets pulled as a separate piece.

I'm not sure how Tamiya does it, but they usually use three-piece molds so they can get more detail on the front and rear of the cars, but they still manage to pull them from one piece of lexan - you can see the seam lines if you look closely. It's probably magic or something.
For the overhangs the teacher said it would probably be better make it from two peaces - press it from the top and the bottom and then stick them together somehow. All the lillte details will be put on it afterwards (like headlights, taillights and the spoilers). I don't rembember what the final material is gonna be, but supposedly superglue sticks well to it. 
JZStudios said:
Actually, thinking about it, if he finishes up the entire model he could just make an upper and a lower. Fusing the plastic would be a pain though. Could potentially use some acetone or epoxy...
That's pretty much the plan :)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...