Jump to content Jump to content

Bear's Happy Place

thecraicbear

JZStudios said:
Good god man... where have you been?     
I was worried - then a couple of weeks back he posted a comment on one of my Youtube videos. That's when I knew he was alive and well. Maybe he was looking for another cave.
I think I'll hide out here like we did after the console release. I can't even think about touching the Gossip thread with 200 new comments in 8 hours. And it's mostly the least prominent people shouting about things they know nothing about.
Based on a bit of leaked footage, I REALLY hope they up the damage model. Right now it's very similar to DR's rather than D2's. D3 was a bit more toned down I feel. I am also disappointed at the lack of trailblazer, though i guess the stages could just be "normal" rally stages now so...
I also still like hillclimb, but it's so weird in DR I never really played it... shame.

Well I think D4 is going to be absolutely amazing. They learned lots and lots from DR, and it can only get better from here.
Yeah, I'm sure the rally portion will be great, and the WRX should be pretty fun too. I've always been pretty loud about wanting trucks and buggies in the new engine, but yet again they seem VERY limited. Seems like it's the one RWD, one 4WD and a buggy for just 3 tracks... Maybe they'll let 'em loose on the rally stages? I've still been wanting to try the big Dakar trucks since I missed them in the original Dirt.
I don't know... the your race.. track.. builder thing seems cool but it also seems to still be lacking some content...

Also, to @RallyDriven and @Rallycameraman how's the FFB? Any better than DR's oddities?

JZStudios said:
Well I think D4 is going to be absolutely amazing. They learned lots and lots from DR, and it can only get better from here.
Yeah, I'm sure the rally portion will be great, and the WRX should be pretty fun too. I've always been pretty loud about wanting trucks and buggies in the new engine, but yet again they seem VERY limited. Seems like it's the one RWD, one 4WD and a buggy for just 3 tracks... Maybe they'll let 'em loose on the rally stages? I've still been wanting to try the big Dakar trucks since I missed them in the original Dirt.
I don't know... the your race.. track.. builder thing seems cool but it also seems to still be lacking some content...

Also, to @RallyDriven and @Rallycameraman how's the FFB? Any better than DR's oddities?
I think it would be unfair to comment on the FFB as we obviously played an early build of the game. I believe codies have been working with thrustmaster though, so hopefully this will help improve the experience. 

JZStudios said:

I think it would be unfair to comment on the FFB as we obviously played an early build of the game. I believe codies have been working with thrustmaster though, so hopefully this will help improve the experience. 
But I have a Fanatec... :s was the early version the same as DR?

JZStudios said:

I brought up any car any stage at the playtest, I think it has/is being considered but can't confirm anything but I do hope its possible. Trophy truck on a rally stage or RX car on a landrush stage would be so much fun

JZStudios said:

I brought up any car any stage at the playtest, I think it has/is being considered but can't confirm anything but I do hope its possible. Trophy truck on a rally stage or RX car on a landrush stage would be so much fun
I sure as hell hope so. If the stages n all are their own creation, can't see any licensing issues why not. The lack of hillclimb and RX kept me away from those modes in DR... aside from the weird handling and FFB...

I've been thinking about the stages no longer being modeled after real roads, and honestly I think doing it this way is better in almost every way. They have more freedom as to what types of corners and hazards they want to include, they don't have to spend nearly as much effort researching locations since they don't need to strictly replicate every corner, the Your Stage thing could potentially be used to make stages that are even more challenging than real ones... the list goes on. The freedom they have now that they're not limited to specific roads and don't have to worry about legal troubles is really promising for the future.

You loose the bragging rights of saying "these are real-world stages," but that's really the only major problem (if it is even a problem at all). I also personally think getting away from roads that are official WRC stages is better when it comes to the atmosphere of the game. I see DR and D4 as a representation of local rallying, as opposed to the WRC games which are representing a specific part of the sport. Not every rally in Wales takes place in Sweet Lamb with WRC cars, after all. 

BadD0g said:
I've been thinking about the stages no longer being modeled after real roads, and honestly I think doing it this way is better in almost every way. They have more freedom as to what types of corners and hazards they want to include, they don't have to spend nearly as much effort researching locations since they don't need to strictly replicate every corner, the Your Stage thing could potentially be used to make stages that are even more challenging than real ones... the list goes on. The freedom they have now that they're not limited to specific roads and don't have to worry about legal troubles is really promising for the future.

You loose the bragging rights of saying "these are real-world stages," but that's really the only major problem (if it is even a problem at all). I also personally think getting away from roads that are official WRC stages is better when it comes to the atmosphere of the game. I see DR and D4 as a representation of local rallying, as opposed to the WRC games which are representing a specific part of the sport. Not every rally in Wales takes place in Sweet Lamb with WRC cars, after all. 
I guess real world locations are cool... but they do devolve into hotlapping after a while. Most sim racing games have a decent selection of tracks but I only ever play the 4 or 5 I find fun... namely the Nurburgring. But I agree, being that they shouldn't have any real licensing issues, ACAT should be a good possibility. Dirt 3 sucked for trucks and buggies only having 2 locations.

enamel said:
After reading thru the hot mess that the D4 announcement turned into, I am not surprised the happy place is back in action haha
It's just filled with people who are trying their hardest to find a negative just because it's a numbered DiRT game, and when they find out it's not just arcade style they're too stubborn to let go of their unfounded opinions and praise the potential.

JZStudios said:
I guess this is trending, but whatever. Most exciting racing I've seen all year, tons of upsets and overtakes.
https://youtu.be/5T8xHFOMP5w

It's  trending to be politically correct nowadays so I won't ask "why Americans can't see the difference between race and rally?" but say "what a brilliant idea!" instead :)

enamel said:
After reading thru the hot mess that the D4 announcement turned into, I am not surprised the happy place is back in action haha
It's just filled with people who are trying their hardest to find a negative just because it's a numbered DiRT game, and when they find out it's not just arcade style they're too stubborn to let go of their unfounded opinions and praise the potential.
Its just a weird reaction all out.  Yeah id like more stages, and NO circut tracks of any kind, but thats me and my opinion.

I said elsewhere its hip to be negative 

Stoll this from another forum for another game, its consistent around the net.  

When I saw the intro for DiRT4:
https://media.tenor.co/images/eb5c209423e5e7752390507013976bea/raw

When I went to DirtyGossip Thread:
https://i.imgur.com/cMWalaa.gifv

• "I don't know all the specifics about the game, I have no hands-on experience with the game, and it's an unfinished work-in-progress that has not been released to retail - yet I'm optimistic about what's been publicly revealed so far."

• "I don't know all the specifics about the game, I have no hands-on experience with the game, and it's an unfinished work-in-progress that has not been released to retail - yet I'm skeptical about what's been publicly revealed so far."

"...Let's both sides argue & call each other names & make all kinds of judgmental assumptions about each other - even though none of us will know what we're talking about until the game is actually released to retail!"

PaloSamo said:
JZStudios said:
I guess this is trending, but whatever. Most exciting racing I've seen all year, tons of upsets and overtakes.
https://youtu.be/5T8xHFOMP5w

It's  trending to be politically correct nowadays so I won't ask "why Americans can't see the difference between race and rally?" but say "what a brilliant idea!" instead :)
I'm not sure where you're getting that from... but alrighty.

BadD0g said:
Even with people freaking out for no reason, this forum is still shockingly docile considering what most game forums tend to be like.
The only other forum I have dropped into over the last few years is the Ghost Recon forum, purely to see if there is any new game information: some of the Ubisoft mods seem to have a very rough time!

The Gossip thread does seem to have calmed down a bit now. Quite frustrating to see some of the posts, where people are ranting about things that we know are in game: and they would too if they bothered to read the previews first! 

I can understand the disappointment about the absence of the "classic" stages: as the payoff is going to be virtually infinite stages though, I personally think its worth the loss. Plus it means the dailies will really be one shot deals now!

tbtstt said:
BadD0g said:
Even with people freaking out for no reason, this forum is still shockingly docile considering what most game forums tend to be like.
The only other forum I have dropped into over the last few years is the Ghost Recon forum, purely to see if there is any new game information: some of the Ubisoft mods seem to have a very rough time!

The Gossip thread does seem to have calmed down a bit now. Quite frustrating to see some of the posts, where people are ranting about things that we know are in game: and they would too if they bothered to read the previews first! 

I can understand the disappointment about the absence of the "classic" stages: as the payoff is going to be virtually infinite stages though, I personally think its worth the loss. Plus it means the dailies will really be one shot deals now!
I wouldnt' call what happened in gossip thread a rant, I'd call it more of a fear what's was about to come. Fortunately @KickUp and @urgaffel reassured as that we're not going back into bro-dude-american-super-hero thing, and that seemed to be enough ;)

Archived