Jump to content Jump to content

Bear's Happy Place

thecraicbear

I guess I feel lucky that it's the 8th here?
There is still the issue with me currently being one handed at the moment though... so no manual shifting and probably lots and lots of crashing... Or maybe I'll just putz around Dirtfish...
JZStudios said:
There is still the issue with me currently being one handed at the moment though... so no manual shifting and probably lots and lots of crashing... Or maybe I'll just putz around Dirtfish...
Solution: Foot-controlled steering with hand/elbow-controlled pedals and shifter.
BadD0g said:
JZStudios said:
Solution: Foot-controlled steering with hand/elbow-controlled pedals and shifter.
Somehow I don't like that solution....
It was supposed to be a bear thread! 
Edit: it's not, something went wrong. :(

Waiiting, waiting, so excited! I can't decide what to do first...probably I'll waste 2 hours going through the menu and options :D

So how happy are the bears after trying DIRT 4? >:)
Genuinely a bit massively irritated.
To begin with the game was trying to run borderless fullscreen, but instead opened in the top corner, with about 25% of the screen space being used. That was introduction. This MAY have been caused by an issue with Nvidia surround, but I don't know why it defaulted to borderless, or why the resolution it claimed to be at wasn't the resolution it was actually displaying, which I would've been fine with.
Then I found out that the way my wheel worked perfectly in Dirt Rally has been sent back to Dirt 3. Namely, my Fanatec GT2 is set up (with lights and all) to be like a 360 controller, but instead of  "A" being select, it's the left paddle. The back button, rather than being the typical "B" is a button on the front face of the left side. All the other "face buttons" much like any other controller are on the right.
Then I'm thrust into the introduction race I don't want to do with controls that don't make any sense. I promptly hit a sign and couldn't downshift to reverse. So I hit escape to find to my delight that I could enter the options menu.
First thing with the options menu, it's immediately more convoluted than DR's. That aside, I managed to correct the screen to full screen and fiddle with a few graphics settings (Most of which are the same from DR, including the frankly terrible blending option...) With my screen now proper I decided to try to deal with the terrible bindings.
This went poorly. First off, my Fanatec handbrake no longer works AT ALL, when it worked perfectly with the pots in DR and at least functioned as a button in Dirt 3 since it apparently didn't have analog handbrake.. for some reason.
Then I found out that I literally can not map my left paddle to downshift. Since left paddle is select, and since selecting a binding the key turns that select into a "Cancel" I am unable to use my left paddle for anything. This is seriously a massive oversight, whatever the game assigns as "select" is apparently not rebindable.
Curiously, my shifter was picked up and registers perfectly, no button mismatches.
Moving on I hit the little section of seat adjustments. Normally, in DR, PCars, AC, GTR, GTR2, etc... I bind the seat adjustments to numpad or WASD. This however is unacceptable now, and because I'm using a wheel I can't bind anything to keyboard. How convenient.
Then scrolling further down there's a long laundry list of other button bindings for menu interface and such, this would solve most (clearly not all) of my issues, except for the teensy fact that I can't change any of them. Awesome. Why are they there? Just to taunt me?
I may also have just missed it due to the convoluted menu system, but I didn't find any FOV slider/scale.

I'm seriously really agitated about this. I had ZERO of these issues with DR. I know this is Bears happy place, but this is so much bullshit I need to share it and bring other people down. The only issue I had with DR was during EARLY early access where my clutch pedal wouldn't work plugged into the wheel base, but did work running through USB. That's such a minor thing compared to all this though.

On the bright side, the very little I played felt super good. Like super good, and the FFB is stupid strong.
But god.. seriously how they make that huge of a generational leap backwards?
I'll write an extended post tomorrow.

Right now my hands hurt and I'm astonished.
There are a lot of things that are feeling so good, man! Massive improvement over DR.

About other things I need to progress because I barely touched the carreer mode and decided to hit the bed so I'll be fresh tomorrow morning :)

Generally Bears, nothing to worry about.

P.S. It's working better than DR on my rig. I don't know why but it felt so fluent...
Quick status update: Did a bunch of career stuff (loving the Opel Adam) and some freeplay events, everything feels good so far. The gamepad settings aren't 100% exactly the same as DR so I have to adjust a little still, but as mentioned it feels pretty good. I'm having entirely too much fun with the branding suite. "New event? Better redesign the entire car first!"

The first career Wales event has some seriously crazy elevation changes!
Well, I just finished a 5 hr session, it's now 5am, and I'm gonna get into bed to watch the rest of the election results. 

What a superb game D4 is - absolutely fantastic! It's a hugely perfect step forward from DR. 
But, but, but the rear grip!
versedi said:
I'll write an extended post tomorrow.

Right now my hands hurt and I'm astonished.
There are a lot of things that are feeling so good, man!
This goes oddly in line with me thinking that this is the most fun I've had with one hand.

Also, since it dropped at 4:00 P.m. here, I've still got plenty of time. Haha losers! >:)
Scyy said:
Well, I just finished a 5 hr session, it's now 5am, and I'm gonna get into bed to watch the rest of the election results. 

What a superb game D4 is - absolutely fantastic! It's a hugely perfect step forward from DR. 
But, but, but the rear grip!

To be fair it regains grip a bit too quick in the rear, straightening the car out before you get any real angle.
I am pretty thrilled to have this game in my console by the end of the day if the postman doesn't mess up....and I can tell here in France they do mess up....a lot.... :D

Second, I have a romantic evening out with my wife this evening so I won't even be able to get anywhere near a console. The only thing I can do is admire the steelcase and probably download the patch...

Oh well, there is always the rest of the weekend  :) :) :) :)

Archived