Jump to content Jump to content

Bear's Happy Place

thecraicbear

Aside from the crowd setting (which is apparently really broken in regards to frame-rate hit), which are the most power-hungry settings in D4? 

I only have a 60Hz monitor, so I need VSync on, so I'd love to know what keeps throwing my fps down from 60 fps all the way down to the 30fps bracket for about 3 seconds total every stage. 
Depends on what hardware you have and what settings you're using.
Aside from the crowd setting (which is apparently really broken in regards to frame-rate hit), which are the most power-hungry settings in D4? 

I only have a 60Hz monitor, so I need VSync on, so I'd love to know what keeps throwing my fps down from 60 fps all the way down to the 30fps bracket for about 3 seconds total every stage. 
Don't you get input lag with vsync?
Yeah, my rig is struggling for good frametimes as well - never drops below 65 or so, but stutters fairly bad. Fullscreen vs Borderless made no difference, Crowd to off doesn't either, running as admin (wut) according to reddit didn't work either. 

And i dont have a gamepad or wheel to unplug, so thats out of the window. :D 

I found shadows and vehicle reflections to be the most influential on my framerate, followed by antializing.
BadD0g said:

Try forcing triple buffering in the Nvidia control panel (or AMD equivalent), sudden halving of framerate is usually a symptom of vsync without triple buffering. I'm sure you've also turned off advanced blending, but if not it was on by default for me.
I haven't found AB to be anywhere near as resource heavy as in DR?
Scyy said:
Don't you get input lag with vsync?
If I do then it's not really noticeable. It would be a worthy trade-off anyway, because my monitor would be making the game look laggy if I go beyond 60fps, due to it not being able to keep up. 

Snaky115 said:
Crowd to off doesn't either, running as admin (wut) according to reddit didn't work either. 
Yeah, but I did find that setting crowd to low helped a little. There must be something wrong with how they're all rendered, because I understand it's a pretty widespread issue on a lot of variations of hardware. 

Ferranis said:
I found shadows and vehicle reflections to be the most influential on my framerate, followed by antializing.
They're usually my go-to options to start with, but I have to say that I think D4 does a good job with both shadows and reflections at a high setting. They seem to be well optimised. 

bogani said:
BadD0g said:
Try forcing triple buffering in the Nvidia control panel (or AMD equivalent), sudden halving of framerate is usually a symptom of vsync without triple buffering. I'm sure you've also turned off advanced blending, but if not it was on by default for me.
I haven't found AB to be anywhere near as resource heavy as in DR?
@BadD0g Ah, the more you know! I'll try the trip buff, cheers. 

@bogani Yup, it seems to be less resource hungry that in DR that's for sure. 

@JZStudios Usually the settings I need to tone down in CPU/GPU heavy games tend to be generic ones, so up to now it's never been a specific issue with the components I have. I can usually sort it with a general solution. Seems as though the crowd setting in D4 is the main culprit for many, so I tried bringing that down a bit and it's worked for the majority of gameplay. It seems to be Lydden Hill where my VSync will take me down to 30 for a very short section of the lap, so I'm gonna try the suggestion above to turn on triple buffering. 

Thank you all for your suggestions :) 

Why you need Vsync? It will cause an input lag.

Cap your FPS with Nvidia Inspector to 60-64 (need to check each individual amount - 60Hz is not really perfect 60, so there may be a horizontal line appearing if you do too low/too much. 

versedi said:

Why you need Vsync? It will cause an input lag.

Cap your FPS with Nvidia Inspector to 60-64 (need to check each individual amount - 60Hz is not really perfect 60, so there may be a horizontal line appearing if you do too low/too much. 

I'll try that. All games should have an fps cap option - not sure why it's not commonly included 
You'll have to manually add the values to Nvidia Inspector (assuming you're on green side of graphic cards) which are different from 60.

Tutorial: http://www.overclock.net/t/1368777/how-to-create-custom-fps-limits-in-inspector
Actually, thinking about it, when I was comparing the two games I was running single monitor, and D4's performance was pretty similar to DR with all on high for me. Sometimes when I started a stage though the game would freak out and run at like 12FPS so I restarted it. There's definitely an issue, and the framerate is significantly worse/less stable on triples.
Does Steam ever recommend you anything with a title that makes you just want to buy it off of principle alone?
Because this is the best thing I've ever seen.

It's not enough to just have the ridiculous super Japanese overhyped Engrish title, it also comes with the title in two languages you don't speak. I also like how VS SEGA is inexplicably English in the last one, not to mention "Sega hard girls?" :D
The very little I know about this series is that it makes fun of the gaming industry. Literally all of it. I think it's a fighting game? And all of the titles are just as ridiculous, I really want the western games to realize their lack of sub titles, superscripts, and punctuation almost never used, like colons and semicolons, exclamation marks, question marks, ampersands, the list goes on.

enamel said:
"These anthropomorphized consoles are girls with an array of personalities and ****"

100% a game I would buy in a steam sale, when drunk, based off that line then never play.
Hahaha! It's probably like 50% "visualnovel/dating sim" and 50% fighting game.
I might have to give Superdimension Neptune VS Sega Hard Girls | 超次元大戦ネプテューヌVSセガハードガールズ夢の合体スペシャル | 超次元大戰戰機少女VS SEGA主機娘夢幻合體特別版 a chance one of these days. I could also try one of the main lineups, like Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth3 V Generation / 神次次元ゲイム ネプテューヌRe;Birth3 V CENTURY. That's a generation AND century... apparently.
Does anybody have an issue with the Evo? Even after going for a massive over-steer setup for an experiment, the **** thing still under-steers like crazy on the throttle. It's an absolute ****. 
Yeees. The Evo VI is an understeering turd. It's a perfect example of the rear tires catching grip mid slide straightening the car in the nearest Aussie spider fence!
Every time I see any bear-related humor elsewhere on teh interwebs, this thread comes to mind. I don't recall if y'all have already posted this around here before (sorry if it's a repeat), but I just saw it for the first time & it gave me a chuckle:

Operator1 said:
Every time I see any bear-related humor elsewhere on teh interwebs, this thread comes to mind. I don't recall if y'all have already posted this around here before (sorry if it's a repeat), but I just saw it for the first time & it gave me a chuckle:

Re-posts of classics are most welcome 

Brought a tear to my eye - the sheer perfection of that performance. 
Operator1 said:

Not sure how widespread this commercial was, but I remember seeing it as a kid.

Archived