Jump to content Jump to content

Bear's Happy Place

thecraicbear

versedi said:
Dytut said:
griev0r said:
I have to start lurking/posting in this thread more.  Headlong over in the physics discussion is driving me insane.  :s
It appears that he's been forcibly removed from the forum. All his posts are gone at least.
They're hidden, He still bumps the thread by posting but you can't see his posts with normal users priviliges. Same with Maxymrspl
How does that even work? :0
Possible some sort of shadowban – to everyone else, his posts aren't visible, but to him everything's fine. It's a kind of enforced "don't feed the troll".
caerphoto said:
versedi said:
Dytut said:
griev0r said:
I have to start lurking/posting in this thread more.  Headlong over in the physics discussion is driving me insane.  :s
It appears that he's been forcibly removed from the forum. All his posts are gone at least.
They're hidden, He still bumps the thread by posting but you can't see his posts with normal users priviliges. Same with Maxymrspl
Possible some sort of shadowban – to everyone else, his posts aren't visible, but to him everything's fine. It's a kind of enforced "don't feed the troll".
Twitch used to have something similar in chat; somebody could get banned or timed-out, but a user could still click on the <message deleted> link to uncover what they actually said. Though that seems to be the case no longer, as when people get banned/timed-out you can't see what they've attempted to send at all. 
versedi said:
Dytut said:
griev0r said:
... you've changed again Pork... It's like I don't even know who you are anymore...

I'm a bit disappointed in the forum now. It's been pretty boring and I don't really feel like joining the shitfest in the physics thread. Even the Gossip thread is basically dead now. I'm sorry, but I'm not so particularly picky about the specific dashboard in the E1 S2 22b WRX STI, and talking about Argentina gives me migraines.
JZStudios said:
versedi said:
Dytut said:
griev0r said:
... you've changed again Pork... It's like I don't even know who you are anymore...

I'm a bit disappointed in the forum now. It's been pretty boring and I don't really feel like joining the shitfest in the physics thread. Even the Gossip thread is basically dead now. I'm sorry, but I'm not so particularly picky about the specific dashboard in the E1 S2 22b WRX STI, and talking about Argentina gives me migraines.
I spend most of my visits marking everything as 'viewed' 
So what do you guys think the overall opinion on DIRT4 is, not media reviews.  It serms DR seemly stayed hot for longer, maybe my memory is short.  Maybe it was the 6 months of EA that made it last longer?

I just have a feeling that D4 is going to loose momentum quickly because of some bugs and handling issues Or even content.

Forum buzz has gone pretty flat as mentioned, too.

I know this is a love/hate thing, but does offering DLC keep momentum going?  Does knowing ahead of time keep your interest longer?  Like you want to hoan your skills more for the next batch of content?  

I keep comparing games to AC and the rather good financial success its had.  The game was released before DR and is still going strong with quality DLC., including free content as well.

I guess in a lot of ways that i forget, Codemasters is primarily a console game company more than an enthusiast  PC type.  So a lot if the choices are based on that market.

D4's caught a lot of flak so far based on your stage, licensing, location variety, discipline variety, graphics for some reason, and physics at least. I'd say it's died down a lot quicker than DR (after console release) and I'd definitely say it's the weakest link in the "official" DiRT franchise. From what I can tell, DiRT 1 had the most variety of everything. The only thing in D4 worth putting time into is Rally. I mean, Land Rush only has 4 classes with one vehicle and 3 tracks. It's not very engrossing.
Your Stage also shouldn't have been released while being allowed to put the same sections in one stage. If they can't do maximum length without repeats, then they need to make more. RX has great physics, but being confined to what... 5 RX tracks? Also pretty limited. The AI is certainly too easy, and the essential lack of content leads a short semi-meaningless career. Seems like yet again I'll stick to custom races, which are now a pain in the ass to set up.
D4 honestly feels really rushed. If they weren't making it alongside DR, then D4 had a really short dev time, so seeing what they made is fairly impressive and all the tech is there, but it needs a lot of tweaks. I don't even know what to do about licensing issues. CM should've held on to the PPIHC license. The game definitely needs more, it's quite shallow now.
Forum activity has definitely died down, back to the core group of the community. Maybe that means people are playing D4 more than talking about it, or they've just completely lost interest. 

I think the manner in which DR was released built up a lot of excitement, and had people coming back to the forum every day to either contribute their findings during early access, as well as hanging on for any shred of news they could find in the gossip thread. Because D4 was fully released straight from the start, it didn't leave much to the imagination, because the package was there as intended, in regards to content.

Even though I am really enjoying the game, I do think that it will need a DLC injection some time soon to attract people back to the game after long, because that's kind of what kept DR early access interesting, when it kept getting new content.

Ultimately that's what needs to be done: keep it interesting! Build hype for new content, and when it's released, YouTubers and Twitch streamers will give the game more exposure, thus bringing in/back more people for online play. 

I also think that the devs should fully support the modding community, which links in to what @gfRally said about Assetto Corsa. Not only does that game have tremendous value-for-money DLC, but it also has a buzzing modding community that creates cars, circuits, liveries and more for what is now a well established sim. 

DiRT 3 got a few bits of DLC, such as new historic cars and the Monte Carlo rally, so I can only hope that at least the same happens for DiRT 4. 
I'm hoping buzz will pick up a little once league support comes along. Some of the best experiences in DR for me to date have been through the leagues we've been running - they provide pockets of community that keep the game engaging.

And totally agree re: modding - if we can't find a way to get our own team liveries in the game it's going to kill the league buzz big time. 
edgenz said:
I'm hoping buzz will pick up a little once league support comes along. Some of the best experiences in DR for me to date have been through the leagues we've been running - they provide pockets of community that keep the game engaging.

And totally agree re: modding - if we can't find a way to get our own team liveries in the game it's going to kill the league buzz big time. 
That could help for sure, but if CM doesn't work on fixing the rally physics and trying to improve Your Stage I'm not sure if that will be enough.  At least for my personal league I ran in for Dirt Rally, we have been discussing D4 and none of us are very pleased with the initial game.  Working on the physics for the rally cars (ALL of them, not just RWD!!) and adding tiles/diversity to Your Stage could go a looooong way in improving the game and giving it a lot of longevity.

Right now we really haven't heard much on their plans, but I am trying to have hope.  Paul and his team were great with the development of Dirt Rally, but that was EA and this is fully released game.  Guess just wait and see at this point, but I think something should be announced soon to deflect more negative attention to the odd car physics and problems with Your Stage.
griev0r said:
edgenz said:

That could help for sure, but if CM doesn't work on fixing the rally physics and trying to improve Your Stage I'm not sure if that will be enough.  At least for my personal league I ran in for Dirt Rally, we have been discussing D4 and none of us are very pleased with the initial game.  Working on the physics for the rally cars (ALL of them, not just RWD!!) and adding tiles/diversity to Your Stage could go a looooong way in improving the game and giving it a lot of longevity.

Right now we really haven't heard much on their plans, but I am trying to have hope.  Paul and his team were great with the development of Dirt Rally, but that was EA and this is fully released game.  Guess just wait and see at this point, but I think something should be announced soon to deflect more negative attention to the odd car physics and problems with Your Stage.
I would expect we will hear more in the next week or so as Paul had said lots of people at cm were on vacation post release and he himself is gone for a week.

gfRally said:
So what do you guys think the overall opinion on DIRT4 is, not media reviews.  It serms DR seemly stayed hot for longer, maybe my memory is short.  Maybe it was the 6 months of EA that made it last longer?

I just have a feeling that D4 is going to loose momentum quickly because of some bugs and handling issues Or even content.

I know this is a love/hate thing, but does offering DLC keep momentum going?  Does knowing ahead of time keep your interest longer?  Like you want to hoan your skills more for the next batch of content?  

I keep comparing games to AC and the rather good financial success its had.  The game was released before DR and is still going strong with quality DLC., including free content as well.

I guess in a lot of ways that i forget, Codemasters is primarily a console game company more than an enthusiast  PC type.  So a lot if the choices are based on that market.

I have not purchased DiRT 4 yet because what I've seen & read about it so far have not convinced me that it's currently worth full retail price to me.

Aside from the rudimentary & repetitive Your Stage feature, DiRT 4 doesn't appear to innovate much or do anything "game-changing" for rally gaming. Like many other "new" games recently, DiRT 4 doesn't seem to do much that wasn't being done (or couldn't have been done) 5 or 10 years ago on last-gen platforms. In the 6 years since DiRT 3's retail release and the year-&-a-half since DiRT Rally's retail release, DiRT 4 doesn't seem to show much innovation or introduce anything (r)evolutionary to the series or the genre. I wanted to see this game burst onto the scene and set a whole new standard for rally games to live up to, but I'm just not getting that vibe.

Like so many other games in recent years, this looks to me like just another check-the-box, keep-the-wheels-turning, rinse-&-repeat release assembled from all the same old reused/recycled building blocks. It just gives me kind of a "been there, done that" impression. What's new & special about this installment? Too many newly-released games lately just seem to me like little more than re-skinned and/or re-mastered DLC of the same games we've been playing for years. Combine that with bugs/issues and a somewhat small amount of content, and I'm not eager to hand over full retail price just to play a game that doesn't smoothly deliver a novel experience. I'm not even sure if DLC would sweeten the deal any more for me.

I might also attribute some of the game's dwindling momentum to a community that does not respond well to feedback. Continue telling people things like "quit crying, go away, & play something else," and you just might get your wish - then there will be very few remaining to buy & play the game, and there will be few (if any) future updates or installments when there's not enough of an audience to fund development.

If I were to do an armchair-quarterback post-mortem on DiRT 4, I might guess that signs seem to point to CodeMasters being tied down by too many constraints (licensing, resources, etc.), being stuck in stale game-design thinking, and/or having tunnel vision from a self-reinforcing echo-chamber.

This is not "hate," not "trolling," not "being disruptive," not intended to ruffle any feathers, and not meant in any negative or disrespectful way whatsoever (though I'm sure some will disagree & attempt to discredit my opinions anyway). This is honest feedback from somebody who would love to see the series (& the genre) evolve & succeed.

griev0r said:
edgenz said:

I'm with you there @griev0r. Touch up the rally physics (especially on gravel) and get some more tiles for your stage so it doesn't repeat itself.

I'm enjoying the game so far, but far too many cars behave too weird for comfort. All rally cars need to be at about the same level of driving experience as the WRX content, that's the key. As for now, I can enjoy most FWD cars, and some 4WD, but none of the RWD. Tarmac and snow are the worst offenders. I'm quite sure they can touch up the cars continually to make them more where they should be. The WRX cars shows that the physics engine is capable, so probably just some more love needed for the rally tires and some tweaking of the cars themselves.

Your stage feels rushed content wise. Technically it works quite well, where the only real hickup so far has been the pace notes at the tile edges (right 6 over crest - I jump over at 170 kph - ....into left 1 :-P ). But it seems rushed in that there aren't enough tiles. Tiles are reused far too often, where you sometimes get the same tiles twice in the same sector. I can live with more generic tiles being reused a many times over a stage (a generic left 4 is a generic left 4), but most D4 tiles are quite big and unique which makes it extremely noticeable when they are reused. So I'd say Codies need to get cracking on making a lot more quite generic tiles, and tweak the generator to not reuse the more unique tiles as much and never ever reuse the same tile multiple times too close to itself.

Leagues will get things moving aswell, but that's already in the works :-)

TL;DR I really do feel that D4 is a step up from DR in most ways, but the feel of DR just isn't quite there. But if they fix up the gravel and do some tweaking passes on the cars and then fix up the most glaring your stage content issues it could be a game with great longevity that can live for many years with some DLCs from time to time.
Scyy said:
griev0r said:
edgenz said:

I would expect we will hear more in the next week or so as Paul had said lots of people at cm were on vacation post release and he himself is gone for a week.
I believe it's his first day back today, but I think he's going straight to Sweden for the RX 
Hey @Snaky115, take a seat by the fire :) 

I was just wondering, how are you finding keyboard + gamer handling compared to keyboard + old DR handling? And how do you fare when trying sim handling?

I ask, because when I'm not using my wheel late at night (too noisy), I use the Xbox One pad on PC for D4, and sometimes it's just unplayable on sim handling, compared to when I played DR with pad on occasion. 

I'm struggling to find a good config for the pad, which has lead me to just not playing the game at night any more, unless I stick it on gamer handling.
Dytut said:

Your stage feels rushed content wise. 
 But it seems rushed in that there aren't enough tiles. 

Leagues will get things moving aswell, but that's already in the works :-)

I think "rushed" is the word that describes DiRT4 better. It's easy to see how good it could have been with more development time, but this is how it is... money, I guess. 

That said, if we start complaining about everything wrong in DiRT4 also in this thread we're f***ed. So stop please :p
Well I hope I don't sound like I'm complaining, I thoroughly enjoy the game and play for 30-90 minutes daily. As long as I stay clear of the RWD cars on gravel. Just touching up those rough spots would put D4 in the solid "best rally game of all time" place, instead of "generally better than dirt rally but..." it is now :-) 
I have full faith that rally gravel handling will be adjusted during the summer, and with some luck a few more tiles and tweaks to your stage aswell.
Operator1 said:

gfRally said:

I have not purchased DiRT 4 yet because what I've seen & read about it so far have not convinced me that it's currently worth full retail price to me.

Aside from the rudimentary & repetitive Your Stage feature, DiRT 4 doesn't appear to innovate much or do anything "game-changing" for rally gaming. Like many other "new" games recently, DiRT 4 doesn't seem to do much that wasn't being done (or couldn't have been done) 5 or 10 years ago on last-gen platforms. In the 6 years since DiRT 3's retail release and the year-&-a-half since DiRT Rally's retail release, DiRT 4 doesn't seem to show much innovation or introduce anything (r)evolutionary to the series or the genre. I wanted to see this game burst onto the scene and set a whole new standard for rally games to live up to, but I'm just not getting that vibe.

Like so many other games in recent years, this looks to me like just another check-the-box, keep-the-wheels-turning, rinse-&-repeat release assembled from all the same old reused/recycled building blocks. It just gives me kind of a "been there, done that" impression. What's new & special about this installment? Too many newly-released games lately just seem to me like little more than re-skinned and/or re-mastered DLC of the same games we've been playing for years. Combine that with bugs/issues and a somewhat small amount of content, and I'm not eager to hand over full retail price just to play a game that doesn't smoothly deliver a novel experience. I'm not even sure if DLC would sweeten the deal any more for me.

I might also attribute some of the game's dwindling momentum to a community that does not respond well to feedback. Continue telling people things like "quit crying, go away, & play something else," and you just might get your wish - then there will be very few remaining to buy & play the game, and there will be few (if any) future updates or installments when there's not enough of an audience to fund development.

If I were to do an armchair-quarterback post-mortem on DiRT 4, I might guess that signs seem to point to CodeMasters being tied down by too many constraints (licensing, resources, etc.), being stuck in stale game-design thinking, and/or having tunnel vision from a self-reinforcing echo-chamber.

This is not "hate," not "trolling," not "being disruptive," not intended to ruffle any feathers, and not meant in any negative or disrespectful way whatsoever (though I'm sure some will disagree & attempt to discredit my opinions anyway). This is honest feedback from somebody who would love to see the series (& the genre) evolve & succeed.

The problem with the gaming industry as a whole currently is that anything "new" will A.) Be extremely experimental, and B.) very difficult to come up with. Take the "Open World Formula" that Ubisoft and a whole bunch of other companies used. It started in AC in what? 2007? Have a large area, populate it with NPC's and "points of interest" that either are lookout map unlocking towers or near lookout map unlocking towers. It became even more popularized in Far Cry 3, with 4 following exactly in its footsteps and I can't imagine that 5 changed much. Add in the dumb AI and faux stealth mechanics, boom, you got yourself an open world action/adventure game. Camera placement dictates first or third person.

10 years later, they're still following this formula. Even the Crew did this. There's really only so many game formulas and I have a hard time trying to think of any really ground breaking formulas that are "new and inventive." In DiRT's case... well we're talking about a racing game here. The only innovation is graphics and content, or at least as far as what's been done previously. I mean, you could go the NFS route and try to make it story based, which everyone hates. The most innovative thing to happen is "Your Stage" which is just randomly generated tiles, which has been done before, except that literally no one bought Race Craft, so I guess it doesn't matter. Although Race Craft might also have been procedurally generated, not randomly like D4.

Realistically, expecting "innovation" to happen in racing games in general is... frankly dumb. I mean, new features could be added, they could refine physics, but none of it's anything new. The absolute BEST thing CM could've done is make Your Stage procedural, but that's like at least twice as hard as random.
Going to Forza, being a radically successful racing game, they're finally adding in dynamic time and weather, which again, is just a new feature, but is actually represented in D4. The only new and innovative thing they did was puddles, which is cool, and every other racing game with weather is stealing now. There's just not a lot of room here.

And then you talk about us not being able to take criticism... Oh Operator, you poor misguided soul. You had to go there didn't you? Alright, let's do this.
If you buy a game you don't like, return it, get your money back, then go on the forums to make a thread titled "(Product name) is Garbage" you're a whiny person, and you feel entitled but your not. You got your money back, stop crying.
If you buy a game you don't like, go on the forum and say you hate it and it's awful but won't return it because you're playing this "awful" game, you're an idiot AND you're a whiny person who feels entitled but actually isn't. I mean, they are still at least customers, and their points are valid, but it's nothing we didn't already know, and the way they make hate threads is less than useful.
It's not the lack of being able to take criticism it's the "This game is awful and fucking sucks, so here I am whining about it instead of getting my money back like a normal person."

And you seriously must not go to other forums of "racing sims." Telling people to return a product they don't like is.. a fucking stupid thing to think is "extreme." If they disappointed you and you aren't happy with your product, get your money back. It's really just that simple. Get your money back and move on with your life. On other forums just saying AC is less than "Lord Kunos's personal gift to all mankind" is enough to get you actual serious harassment and then banned from the forums for starting a "flame war" for bruising their sensitive egos. I got banned for saying that Forza looks better than AC, and there might be a smidge of understeer the (then) latest patch introduced. Lord Kunos himself came in to insult me after all his fanatic rabid dogs called me a conspiracy theorist. Seriously. They fucking suck there.

And I have a right to be pissed off at AC. Firstly, their rabid dog fanboys constantly tout how great the game is and just about force you to buy it, then you realize it kind of sucks, Steams refund sucks, you can't return it, you get banned from the forum for stupid bullshit which is linked to YOUR steam account that NEEDS verification of owning the game to EVER even just look at articles. The whole things shitty and shady. It's almost like a Mafia in there. Then after your banned, you can't ever go back and see what's happening with the game that still is unfinished 2 years after release.
The fact that you can't read articles until AFTER you've bought the game is insane. Then they shut down the mods section, being that the modders were more competent than they were.

So I'm going to call some BS and say that telling people to stop playing the game and return it while they can is pretty reasonable. Telling people who feel entitled to stop crying because they're special snowflakes just makes me warm and fuzzy inside. When the only thing these people do is post shitposts and downvote any and every piece of positive feedback, while not owning the game, they're entitled (not) and just want to whine or try to start shit.

I think I need a beer.

I was just wondering, how are you finding keyboard + gamer handling compared to keyboard + old DR handling? And how do you fare when trying sim handling?

I ask, because when I'm not using my wheel late at night (too noisy), I use the Xbox One pad on PC for D4, and sometimes it's just unplayable on sim handling, compared to when I played DR with pad on occasion. 

I'm struggling to find a good config for the pad, which has lead me to just not playing the game at night any more, unless I stick it on gamer handling.
@thecraicbear - I find it interesting and more to the point. The big difference is Gamer handling removes Camber/Toe settings permanently (diffs are still available), already indicating its skipping a calculation or two. As i said once some weeks ago - it feels kinda retro. Like CMR2005/DiRT 1 type of retro on some cars, some are DiRT3 style. Tarmac handling on gamer is.. like GRID Autosport kind of deal.

Best change was the lack of necessity to adjust the rear diffs or suspension for most cars i've driven. The Crosskart needs near maximum soft rear to be tolerable for a KB driver still, but that's a very quick fix compared to mucking with Differential preloads and what not on Sim handling.

I really like it, if only it didn't feel like a chore to get past the stuttering issue, which i thought was AMD driver overhead, but then there are Intel/Nvidia rigs complaining in bug thread so i don't know anymore.
Snaky115 said:

@thecraicbear - I find it interesting and more to the point. The big difference is Gamer handling removes Camber/Toe settings permanently (diffs are still available), already indicating its skipping a calculation or two. As i said once some weeks ago - it feels kinda retro. Like CMR2005/DiRT 1 type of retro on some cars, some are DiRT3 style. Tarmac handling on gamer is.. like GRID Autosport kind of deal.

Best change was the lack of necessity to adjust the rear diffs or suspension for most cars i've driven. The Crosskart needs near maximum soft rear to be tolerable for a KB driver still, but that's a very quick fix compared to mucking with Differential preloads and what not on Sim handling.

I really like it, if only it didn't feel like a chore to get past the stuttering issue, which i thought was AMD driver overhead, but then there are Intel/Nvidia rigs complaining in bug thread so i don't know anymore.
That sounds pretty good! Glad it's working out for you! So would you say you're enjoying KB more on DiRT 4 compared to DR? Despite the stuttering issues. 

The Xbone pad feels completely different in this game compared to DR. It's giving me maximum steering angle with an analogue stick, whereas on DR I think it just gave us about 240 steering angle on gamepads. This of course means that it's really difficult to control most of the cars on sim handling, so I've mainly just avoided it :/ 
I wouldnt be bothered at all by tile repetition if the handling was back to the standard we had with DR.  
I think the challenge of perfecting the tile, would be fun!  At the minute, driving is just frustrating and there's no chance to flow & get into a rhythm on the nice long stages.  Your afraid to push? 
Snaky115 said:

That sounds pretty good! Glad it's working out for you! So would you say you're enjoying KB more on DiRT 4 compared to DR? Despite the stuttering issues. 

The Xbone pad feels completely different in this game compared to DR. It's giving me maximum steering angle with an analogue stick, whereas on DR I think it just gave us about 240 steering angle on gamepads. This of course means that it's really difficult to control most of the cars on sim handling, so I've mainly just avoided it :/ 
Mmmm... extremely hard to say who wins, since i wanted DiRT 4's sim handling to work out, which it hasn't yet. ABS didn't work at all in Sim+KB last time i tried, so the snappy rear under braking never got fixed with my tinkering.

Metro is nice at least, happy to see its delayed wheel re-centering fixed in D4, before i switched to gamer mode. Not yet tested, but there is potential a different car has delayed re-centering in D4 now. A KB specific bug i suspect, too.
Snaky115 said:
Snaky115 said:

Mmmm... extremely hard to say who wins, since i wanted DiRT 4's sim handling to work out, which it hasn't yet. ABS didn't work at all in Sim+KB last time i tried, so the snappy rear under braking never got fixed with my tinkering.

Metro is nice at least, happy to see its delayed wheel re-centering fixed in D4, before i switched to gamer mode. Not yet tested, but there is potential a different car has delayed re-centering in D4 now. A KB specific bug i suspect, too.
I do hope they clean up D4 handling for other devices some time soon. 

My wheel is away for the night, so I decided to start the Monthly event with gamer handling on the pad! I was swapping and changing places with you at various points! I got most of my time back during the foggy stages. I got a flat tyre and lost a lot of time on stage 11, but fortunately I only had to limp for 2-3 km! 

It's weird actually, because when I pushed hard in the Cosworth on gamer handling, it went more sideways than most cars I use when on the wheel/sim! 

Snaky115 said:
Snaky115 said:

I do hope they clean up D4 handling for other devices some time soon. 

My wheel is away for the night, so I decided to start the Monthly event with gamer handling on the pad! I was swapping and changing places with you at various points! I got most of my time back during the foggy stages. I got a flat tyre and lost a lot of time on stage 11, but fortunately I only had to limp for 2-3 km! 

It's weird actually, because when I pushed hard in the Cosworth on gamer handling, it went more sideways than most cars I use when on the wheel/sim! 

im enjoying gamer handling way more because of that, also im not that good of a driver and play mostly on a PS3 controller, i fell like on gamer handling i have more fun and more freedom to toss the car around and overall drive faster, on simulation im mostly stressed out trying not to loose control of the car

Archived