Jump to content Jump to content
F1 2021 | Online Services Update 11:00AM UK Time | Expected to last no longer than 2 hours ×

Bear's Happy Place

thecraicbear

Look what I just found while cleaning my room

It was my first RC car this togehter with CMR got me into rallying I would always select the Impreza back then and still it's one of  my favorite cars.

Does anyone know what model/year this one probably is?
Lynx2000 said:

It was my first RC car this togehter with CMR got me into rallying I would always select the Impreza back then and still it's one of  my favorite cars.

2003/2004/2005. I have a hard time telling those apart.
Lynx2000 said:

2003/2004/2005. I have a hard time telling those apart.
Judging by the number 1 on the door it’s from 2004 since Petter won the championship in 2003.
World Rally Blog nails what makes Dirt 4 so great:
At the end of the day, even though the feeling of the cars is a bit dulled and the stages feel a bit repetitive, Dirt 4 does something very well. In fact, it does this better than any other rally game ever made, and because of this, I’ve already played over 50 hours on the game. What is this? It is the ability to convincingly simulate the atmosphere and experience of taking part in a real rally at the clubman or semi-professional level.
[...]
For rally nerds like us, this is something really special.
I understand people's issues with the handling and Your Stage (even if those issues don't bother me much or at all), but I couldn't hang all of Dirt 4 on one feature like that. As a whole package—the fantasy of being a career rally driver—Dirt 4 is unparalleled IMHO.
Operator1 said:

For 2 days only, HumbleBundle.com is currently giving away free Steam keys for 2013's Shadow Warrior: Special Edition.

The 2016 Doom game is currently having a free-to-play weekend on Steam, as well as a 50%-off discount sale - and it now includes all multi-player DLC at no extra cost.

Both good games. I had a lot more fun with Shadow Warrior than I expected to. I tried the sequel and absolutely hated it because it felt so much like Borderlands to me (not a fan of that type of game personally), but if you're looking for a linear action game that's not to be taken seriously the 2013 game is pretty good.

Not much to say about Doom that hasn't been said already, it's wonderful and definitely worth your time if you have even a passing interest in fast-paced first person games.
BadD0g said:
Operator1 said:

For 2 days only, HumbleBundle.com is currently giving away free Steam keys for 2013's Shadow Warrior: Special Edition.

The 2016 Doom game is currently having a free-to-play weekend on Steam, as well as a 50%-off discount sale - and it now includes all multi-player DLC at no extra cost.

Both good games. I had a lot more fun with Shadow Warrior than I expected to. I tried the sequel and absolutely hated it because it felt so much like Borderlands to me (not a fan of that type of game personally), but if you're looking for a linear action game that's not to be taken seriously the 2013 game is pretty good.

Not much to say about Doom that hasn't been said already, it's wonderful and definitely worth your time if you have even a passing interest in fast-paced first person games.
I got something free from GOG.com about a week ago, Jotun or something. I'd say not worth buying.
I'm not very interested in Shadow Warrior, but for free, why not.
The only experience I have with the new DOOM is a demo at my local computer store. It runs fine and all, but it doesn't quite tickle me.
I gave up on the FPS genre years ago, but DOOM made me realize that I didn't grow out of loving FPSs, it's that the modern FPSs just aren't very good in comparison hah. Easily my favorite FPS since like Unreal. Definitely worth the $15, fantastic game.
Since there was any topic that can be put here and Trump also had he's mentions - I'm going to put some of mine on PL politics. 

Polish politics sucks.

They actually put the f**** new thing with courts even though people went on streets and there were massive protests.

The leader of main party (who happens to be twin brother of the president that died in Smolensk in plane accident) is just going completey nuts on a f*** revenge,

I feel we're going Polexit in 1-2 years. 

PS. They're completely breaking constitutation. 

PS2. Thanks for having a place to share and my apologize for bringing politics into a Bear's Place. 
enamel said:
I gave up on the FPS genre years ago, but DOOM made me realize that I didn't grow out of loving FPSs, it's that the modern FPSs just aren't very good in comparison hah. Easily my favorite FPS since like Unreal. Definitely worth the $15, fantastic game.
Well it's an arena shooter now, so it's kind of a sub genre. I like more realistic shooters, so things like Battlefield and Arma interest me (except Arma's about as polished and optimized as a turd.)
The only other thing that ever interested me was Halo, because well, Halo. The only thing the originals are missing today is a run button, which they replace with vehicles. And even in Halo they kept an element of realism in. I REALLY love the human vehicle design in Halo. They had to have massive amounts of thought put into them, they function beautifully, and they're all extremely plausible in the real world, with actual advantages to the way they're designed. They're actually designed with function in mind, form following shortly after. Then there's the nifty way that they're all named after animals they're partly inspired by.
And Holy crap Halo 3 was AMAZING. The matchmaking was almost always fast efficient and perfect in almost every way, it had an insane amount of content, the Theater mode still makes my jaw drop (Awesome replays, this should be standard in every video game,) AI that was actually rather intelligent and had their own characteristics per enemy type based on geometry, the player location, other enemies nearby, and even a few variables inside of that.... Man, games should held up to that standard. Which reminds me how big a let down Destiny was. I mean, the enemies were basically the same as Halo's except for each enemy "faction" they all had the same exact types and the AI was just "Stand in the open and be bullet sponge."
gfRally said:
This:

"Theater mode still makes my jaw drop (Awesome replays, this should be standard in every video game,)"

Hello, CM are you hearing us?  Hello?  Bueller?
I mean, I still don't even really know how they pulled it off. To take a 15-30 minute FPS shooter with up to 16 people and catalog literally EVERYTHING the entire way through, able to to played, paused, rewind, fast forward, inspected, zoomed in... it's incredible.
I mean, people figured out how to do things in Halo 1&2 (RvB) but, holy crap, Halo 3 just went way beyond what anyone else did before.
Which again makes me sad that Bungie made the Halo games, and at least the first three made the entire genre move forward and hold itself to a higher standard, then they make Destiny....

JZStudios said:
Oh my god, on a slow, non spam day, the Gossip thread has reached page 2... This forum needs CPR stat.

This is not The Greatest Thread in the World, no.
This is just a tribute.
Couldn't remember The Greatest Thread in the World, no, no.
This is a tribute, oh, to The Greatest Thread in the World
Snaky115 said:
Nothing to gossip about, other than to find where in the game that kebab pizza texture shows up... Did anyone find it, other than extracting game files?
Eh, according to Urgaffel it only shows up sometimes randomly in a very certain location. So even if we did look for it, we could be in exactly the right spot and it just wouldn't be there. Not to mention that the lack of any real good replay camera (free cam) and the time out DQ kind of prevent us from being able to look real well.
Along with the fact that not a whole lot of people would care other than the forumites who aren't really playing until they maybe fix the grip issues. Haven't even had a roadbook in the past few weeks, and the game really needs it.
I only check the forums, but is Christina and Paul being more vocal elsewhere? Like Twitter or something?
Dytut said:
They're on vacation afaik.                         
Thought that ended like a week or two ago.
In fact, the last roadbook was a little over 2 weeks ago, with at least (I'm pretty sure) Paul being back from Vacay, I know he is for sure now. This game dropped like a rock. I just pulled my wheel out to try some things now that my hand is healed enough, and I'm not super impressed by the rally handling either. I was really hoping Australia would be at least somewhat like Greece, but instead it's just all over the place and kind of awful.

In other news, I've finally decided to watch Initial D, which back in my middle school/high school years I made fun of at the library for having a stupid name. Which it still does, but I digress, it's actually better than I thought it would be. It's kind of like if Tokyo Drift was good.
I also binged 'Initial D' some while back, took me too long to give it a chance. Pretty good, but there was a bit of a gap of likeable fights and that gap for me lasted from like... End of Stage 2 until the final stage. There might be some in middle, but i remember only one.

Art style and some details going inconsistent later didn't help. (Ryosuke, your hair.. why?)

Snaky115 said:
I also binged 'Initial D' some while back, took me too long to give it a chance. Pretty good, but there was a bit of a gap of likeable fights and that gap for me lasted from like... End of Stage 2 until the final stage. There might be some in middle, but i remember only one.

Art style and some details going inconsistent later didn't help. (Ryosuke, your hair.. why?)

Yeah, I'm only about 10 episodes in, I watch 2 or so before I fall asleep. The art style kind of bothers me, I mean, the mouths are SUPER weird. If there's one thing I learned in art class it was to never "outline" the mouth, just draw shadows. Initial D has everyone's mouth outlined with the kind of semi-racist caricature lips that Looney Tunes used back in the day.
http2bpblogspotcom-xXRSbjWl8McT694XP3x2NIAAAAAAAAFVYw0RYHx1L7rYs1600cleanpastures40png
As a side note, I've found a "blog" saying that Looney Tunes isn't popular anymore because it's racist and outdated. Which, I guess is true, but Looney Tunes is really a product of it's time. People try to unnecessarily censor history and it aggravates me. Most of the racist cartoons were made during wartime to make of the enemy Japanese, German, and Russians, and were broadcast out to the troops. A lot of them had nudity in them and were really only intended for enlisted. There's one Daffy Duck cartoon where he looks down Elmer Fudd's barrel and see's a topless woman. In the censored aired version, they painted a shirt on her, but I love that the boobs are still pretty clearly visible.
The only thing worse to me is Disney remastering things like Fantasia, and completely erasing a black servant Centaur and claiming it never existed.
They don't even want to talk about Song of the South. That entire movie probably never existed. I mean, the bad guys make a tar baby....
If you want straight-up racialized caricatures of black people, check out the rally anime Goddamn (or don't, because it's awful, for additional reasons). Too bad, too: Safari Rally during the Group A era. But apparently it's a mess of an adaptation of the original manga.

I finally sat down and started watching Initial D last year, but haven't finish the first season yet. It has its good moments (explaining driving dynamics, the racing) and its less-good (everything else). But I love how dramatic it is, for these high schoolers whose most important thing in their world is being the fastest local driver.

I'm a fan of the 2005 live action movie though. Real cars, real driving, and Anthony Wong and Chapman To were perfect.
I like Initial D, I always found it a bit goofy but I liked that about it. Although I don't watch much anime, so maybe what I interpret as "goofy" is normal for anime, like the way the people watching the race explain everything Takumi does in ridiculous detail, or the over-the-top drama of the races.
dwkGravey said:
If you want straight-up racialized caricatures of black people, check out the rally anime Goddamn (or don't, because it's awful, for additional reasons). Too bad, too: Safari Rally during the Group A era. But apparently it's a mess of an adaptation of the original manga.

I finally sat down and started watching Initial D last year, but haven't finish the first season yet. It has its good moments (explaining driving dynamics, the racing) and its less-good (everything else). But I love how dramatic it is, for these high schoolers whose most important thing in their world is being the fastest local driver.

I'm a fan of the 2005 live action movie though. Real cars, real driving, and Anthony Wong and Chapman To were perfect.
I watched the "racist" Looney Tunes and I thought they were pretty funny. I'm fairly certain most of them were satire and actually about as racist as Blazing Saddles. Maybe it's just me, but I don't really find stereotypes all that racist. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
To me, it's kind of like Clarkson saying that Germany still hates Poland and that Americans all have a southern accent and an attraction to their sister (Which I find ironic with the British Royal Family....) I mean, damn, if people are offended of a black Looney Tunes character with big lips and a schwanky white suit singing some damn good rhythm and blues...

So far my favorite thing about the show is the gas station owner and the kids dad trying their damnedest to get him into illegal street racing. :D
I mean, the drama is just part of shows, which I typically don't particularly care for, because they either always win, or always get their ass kicked the first time only to pull out some BS victory the second time.
BadD0g said:
I like Initial D, I always found it a bit goofy but I liked that about it. Although I don't watch much anime, so maybe what I interpret as "goofy" is normal for anime, like the way the people watching the race explain everything Takumi does in ridiculous detail, or the over-the-top drama of the races.
Oh, I do my thing I like to call "Goofy Anime Bull Shit." In which I watch goofy anime bullshit before I fall asleep. Some of it's actually pretty funny and makes me laugh, some of it just makes me wonder how Japan functions as a society. Either way, the dumb goofy bullshit almost always gets me dreaming about more dumb goofy bullshit.
I blame the lack of any real good western TV shows. I've basically given up entirely on American shows. Most are completely rehashed, then there's the obscene amounts of police crime drama from both sides of the pond, and holy God American comedy sucks now.

Archived