Sign in to follow this  

Improvements list if online is to last, my thoughts....

I've been very critical of codies decisions since GRID1, even to the point of being pretty mean and bitter towards them, and rightly so. So it's quite the surprise to me that i like this new one, it has similar qualities to GRID1, it has potential. Not sure how good it will be for racing at the top level, too early to tell as the handling is certainly different, but it seems to do a lot right, so well done Codies, you just might have made a competent game, the first in years :)

However, some things baffle me.

1. Text Chat
Every racing game, from hardcore sims to arcade, all have a standard text chat window, and if they do not, its hard to get to know anyone, build a community, or tell people not to do soemthing, etc etc, or to even ask people what tracks they want next. Sorry, but i don't want to chat or listen in-game with a bunch of 13 year olds over mic and listen to lots of irrelevant rubbish.

It is absolutely necessary, no excuses. Just the same as it was in GRID1, just hit Home, text window opens up, the end. If we are to have any hope of getting races organised and running long term, you need to add this, Codies, so people can better communicate. Lobby text chat, too.

2. Advanced options for wheels
Come on guys, are you on work experience? Seriously. All control methods need the advanced control menu, not just official wheels. A pad racer won't be able to compete with a wheel without them, not at the very fastest level.

3. Add a favourites list for custom online session
So I can choose all the settings and tracks i want, and save this so i can load it up quickly. In GRID1 we had cups with a few tracks and cars to run over and over. This was great, but i don't thnink we need this, just allow me to save a few presets myself.

4. AI (just small observation)
Is it just me, but are the AI actually faster down the straights than me? If so, I really do not like this. One thing i do like is how damn hard the AI is on the harder settings, holy crap raven-whatever they are called, is actually hard to beat for once :)

This is all i can think of for now, if anyone else has any more ideas, say so and I'll add them to the list. Codies have me interested in this game, but the one thing that will kill it before it even starts is if they don't listen to the community -- not the guys who buy it and three weeks later are playing COD, but the guys who want this to work right so we can play for many months to come. So please listen codies, because there won't be many more chances witht he GRID series if you don't patch this really soon with some tweaks.

Merg said:
1. Text Chat
Every racing game, from hardcore sims to arcade, all have a standard text chat window
Well, except every Codemasters racing game for the past 6 years. No way they were going to add text chat just for PC after all this time, much easier for them to use the same feature and code base for every platform. You might see it return on their next gen games, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

According to Loore text chat almost made it to G2, so imo there is a great chance we can finally have decent text chat in GAS.

Merg said:

Come on guys, are you on work experience? Seriously. All control methods need the advanced control menu, not just official wheels. A pad racer won't be able to compete with a wheel without them, not at the very fastest level..

This is #1 on my list. Without these options, nothing else really matters.

I totally agree. Already met someone from back in the GRID days and had trouble following. I know my racing line, but I can't be precise enough for the last 2 tenths.
I didn't drive with wheel here, but I remember from grid, that it was only possible to be fast with pad, if steering assist was turned on. Hope, this advantage (for wheels) isn't present anymore.

As for chat... YES, TEXT is absolutely crucial! I don't care about Mics, don't want to use a headset and don't understand most of the british chaps with Liverpool slang (or whatever it may be) anyway. On top most transmissions I hear are chopped.
This is an international community and communicating in text is way more convenient for every non-native english speaker.
So far only 20-50% have had mics. Means, even if I want to talk to someone chances are good, he can't answer.

Why isn't there any ingame friendslist? Why do I have to add one on steam or join a club? What about just wanting to race with some people 'cause you know they have decent skills and are fair?

Honestly CM, for so much experience in Racing Games, Online-Modes etc. you tend to surprise all the time in the worst kind of way!
No Text-Chat, still no rear view mirror. Your games seem like 'f*ck convenience, do it the stupid way!'. 
By now you should have a stable online-lobby, that saves preferences, allows multiple ways of communicating and is a bit more explanatory. In your games I always feel like I'm in a bulbble. Don't move, don't touch anything, just wait and hope it works.

Merg said:
1. Text Chat
Every racing game, from hardcore sims to arcade, all have a standard text chat window
Well, except every Codemasters racing game for the past 6 years. No way they were going to add text chat just for PC after all this time, much easier for them to use the same feature and code base for every platform. You might see it return on their next gen games, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.
Did you even play those games? Because GRID(1) very well had text chat. Also some DIRT games had it too. One game even got it patched in later, not sure which one. Codemasters PLEASE. We need textchat for this potentially good online racer.

but its not like it wasnt already asked for: http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/352/chat-option-in-grid-autosport

Merg said:

1. Text Chat
Every racing game, from hardcore sims to arcade, all have a standard text chat window, and if they do not, its hard to get to know anyone, build a community, or tell people not to do soemthing, etc etc, or to even ask people what tracks they want next. Sorry, but i don't want to chat or listen in-game with a bunch of 13 year olds over mic and listen to lots of irrelevant rubbish.

It is absolutely necessary, no excuses. Just the same as it was in GRID1, just hit Home, text window opens up, the end. If we are to have any hope of getting races organised and running long term, you need to add this, Codies, so people can better communicate. Lobby text chat, too.

Come on guys, are you on work experience? Seriously. All control methods need the advanced control menu, not just official wheels. A pad racer won't be able to compete with a wheel without them, not at the very fastest level.

This is all i can think of for now, if anyone else has any more ideas, say so and I'll add them to the list. Codies have me interested in this game, but the one thing that will kill it before it even starts is if they don't listen to the community -- not the guys who buy it and three weeks later are playing COD, but the guys who want this to work right so we can play for many months to come. So please listen codies, because there won't be many more chances witht he GRID series if you don't patch this really soon with some tweaks.
Months? don't you mean years? PC GRID 1 online was doing well for the 3 years the online servers were running. Lots of hosts on a Saturday.

Loore, can you tell us yet that text chat will definitely be in a patch soon? My money waiting to buy GRID Autosport. You give your word text chat in, I could buy GAS now and get started on career mode, before I go online.

Just read about a problem with online playlist that could help kill off playlist racing:

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/571/random-grid-order#latest

So now Autosport is here how does everyone feel about the starting grid order system.

I have to say im not impressed with it.   If you join a lobby thats been going for a while, some people may have 3 or 400 points, and are permanently upfront.   This makes people not want to stay in the lobby,  because if a good player is in 1st, then the race is pretty much decided. 

I dont understand why a random grid order is not the way with the online playlist.  

Is it fair to have me, or any other person starting in 1st, EVERY race? 

Wouldnt It me fair to ALL players, if everyone has a random chance of getting pole position? 

Its a small change CM, but it will improve the online racing experience for everyone, and especially newcomers.  I know how you like to think of the noobs, and give them features that help them......flashbacks......

So please help the noobs, and give them a random gird order, in the online playlist events.  

Custom cup is not the answer. :)

Purple44 said:
Hmm, another feature that could help kill off the online playlist?

It was bad in GRID 2 always putting the higher levels players in the back of start grid, now sound like Codies made another bad decision with always putting highest championship points players up front in start grid.

In Flatout 2, there tournament points, but points did not come into play until end of tournament, to see who won the tournament. In Flatout 2, all races are a random start.

Every player should get a shot at getting a good start position on start grid, unless you are going to have qualifying to see who should get pole position.

and spectator mode.
I'm cannot stare a dam windows for minutes before to play, waiting for the session end.

Yes please.. i dont understand how this game is missing so much that was already in the first one.. its like a step forward from Grid1's graphics, a sidestep from the driving physics and a LOT of step backs from the features.

Purple44 said:
Merg said:

1. Text Chat

Months? don't you mean years? PC GRID 1 online was doing well for the 3 years the online servers were running. Lots of hosts on a Saturday.

Loore, can you tell us yet that text chat will definitely be in a patch soon? My money waiting to buy GRID Autosport. You give your word text chat in, I could buy GAS now and get started on career mode, before I go online.
yeah text chat would be amazing , also spectate mode in lobby ... watching other drivers in after finishing a race is very funny , cause the Tv cam is way better than Grid' 2 ... 

Purple44>:)  dont you forget that Grid 1 worked online with cracked game , that means that a big part of players had it cracked... anyway was amazing game as GAS it is...  ;;)

These are all good suggestions, but I think they will lose multiplayer pretty quickly (the real lifeblood of a game IMO) if they don't give you the ability to get cars easier and level up and not have all your hard work stripped if you chnge liveries. Further, there is no practice and qualifying in MP and no feedback from your engineer in MP and no tuning or upgrades in MP unless you play for about 20 days straight. and that's for one car.

The loaner cars are a very nice touch and much appreciated, but to really gt the most out of the game, these other things have to be fixed or it will die.

On PC side the player base is so small it shouldn't be split by dlc, regions or anything. And while I'm fine with grinding cars and upgrades I understand that many others aren't. Grid's been pretty casual for a while now I'm not sure what crowd they're trying to appeal to.

Purple44 said:

he-he, i was trying to sound less addicted, as i was one of those racing till the end. Tis mergano / duvel.

Another to add to the list: They added a solid version of derby back, but i don't think car damage happens like in grid1 (where you build up the milage to get a hard car), not that this bothers me, what does bother me is that you cannot kill opponants? This makes it pointless Codies. Please correct me if i'm wrong on this and it can be enabled somehow.

Well, I guess the reason PC users like to have text chat is because they actually have that thing in front of them. Oh what's it called, a keybutt? Keyballs? Keyboard, that's it.

Do you really enjoy talking with people online when you don't really know them, or they sound like total idiots when they speak? Text chat is much easier to get along with, especially as the quality of said keyboard, with boost on, music in background, two rampant babies fighting a chiwawa doesn't affect whether i'll have hearing left when it hit iEra's maturity. Where is that dude these days?

Merg said:
Purple44 said:

he-he, i was trying to sound less addicted, as i was one of those racing till the end. Tis mergano / duvel.

Another to add to the list: They added a solid version of derby back, but i don't think car damage happens like in grid1 (where you build up the milage to get a hard car), not that this bothers me, what does bother me is that you cannot kill opponants? This makes it pointless Codies. Please correct me if i'm wrong on this and it can be enabled somehow.

You can't wreck the leaders of the race!!!!! That blaspheme, this will ruin the fun of derby racing online.

~X(

Even in a custom host, you can not wreck the cars?

You guys really put a lot into text chat . I guess on ps3 it's not as important than on a PC.
I am on PS3. Wnet online the first time the other night. I thought the race was a mess, but someone messaged me with a sorry I hit you. I have no clue how to use the messaging but saying no problem seemed like the right thing to do, even though I didnt remember the incident. A load of fumbling later it was done. It would be nice to be able to say send 5 pre-defined messages quickly to people that you could define yourself. Yes, No, Sorry, No Problem and Great Race would cover probably 90% of the stuff I need to say.