Sign in to follow this  

GRID Autosport = Best AI ever

Hi and congrats to whoever made the AI in GRID Autosport.
Simply the best ever!

Thanks, glad you approve, will pass on your sentiment to the team :)

Pro are far superior to Grid 2. There is some wierd behavoir that happens sometimes but most of the time they are all excellent.

For me also is best racing in PC since 2007 i got one.. And with extra conetn , patches , updates etc it will become even better! Loore dont you forget to pass to the team they make all upcoming racing games (Dirt , formula) semisim with handling like GAS, and not too arcade!  L-)

It'd be interesting to know what other auto racing titles a person has driven in the last 10 years that would make them exclaim Autosport has the "best AI ever".

Hopefully Loore can answer this, but do each AI driver have their own attributes or is it team related.  I notice some teams AI I can race and they are fairly clean, and then there is Team Kicker.  No matter what series those guys are just dicks.

LaPremier said:
Dude, AI the same as was before. As before botes goes by railway, pass sharp corners without drift, kick you without any response. But now also you cannot overtake them with somewhat rough maneuver, because you operate in drifty slow-mo, but they stay good at their railway, blocking your way, and you cannot move them. Even if you nevertheless braked through for a moment, they, as before, kick you from back forcing you car turn round. And, so, since you, like before, ALWAYS starts from last position, game remains interesting and even more interesting then before. Shamefull shiiit. Especially I like new invention: in time lap race botes hit you at corners for purpose. Great simulation of autosport! No neet to mention, that in usual races they never even try to avoid collision. Good AI was in Street Racing Syndicate (2004), which was rereleased at Steam in April: there opponents cars accurately drive around if you previously made accident.There you always starts FIRST, but it does not make game less interesting: its, may be, mostly adrenaline racing game ever. But here, new grid, we see hack-work without any real improvement. AI here also worse then in Toca Race Driver 2, mate.
Wtf are u saying ??? Very hard to understand.

Hey maxkillz we know you hate this game since every comment you make is negative , why don't you quit trolling these forums and go play forza.

The AI is certainly one of the best i have seen in a race game.

So far i'm having massive fun playing the single player campaign.
For me the sweet spot is: AI on Hard, all aids off 2x race length.

Are you kidding me... they drop into you like you weren't even there... ram you from behind while your braking into a corner.... They run away like they have nitro then slow down half way through the race... it's like they are on rails and you don't exist... the best ever...HAHAHAHA

Looks you're running a different game than me. :))

Yes sometimes the AI hits me in the back, but most of the time because i brake too early or change my line under braking.

I sometimes find my self hanging on the bumper of the AI in front of me and taking multiple laps to finally find a spot to overtake them. 

Codemaster HAS to fix a lot things in this game, but the AI is not one of them

CRobby22 said:
Hopefully Loore can answer this, but do each AI driver have their own attributes or is it team related.  I notice some teams AI I can race and they are fairly clean, and then there is Team Kicker.  No matter what series those guys are just dicks.
It's a combination of both. 

Each driver has their own attributes but then they'll also race in the style of their team. Some teams are better at some disciplines than others. So while a team may be great at Open Wheel and normally on the podium, you may find them at the bottom of the grid in Touring.

Edit: If someone is noticing issues with the AI then please do upload a video to YouTube, I'd be keen to see it first hand as if there is a problem we'll be able to identify it.

HoiHman said:
The AI is certainly one of the best i have seen in a race game.

So far i'm having massive fun playing the single player campaign.
For me the sweet spot is: AI on Hard, all aids off 2x race length.

so have I I've enjoyed the touring csar racing on the game immensely won the first season by 2 points but all the races were close and competitive playing on the bottom setting V easy but the AI is at a level I like playing at and am enjoying competing with them so far was thinking I might try the open wheelers next and see if I can win there. I think the Grid team have done an awesome job with Autosport.

likewise said:
Are you kidding me... they drop into you like you weren't even there... ram you from behind while your braking into a corner.... They run away like they have nitro then slow down half way through the race... it's like they are on rails and you don't exist... the best ever...HAHAHAHA

Agree 100%.  Worst ever.

I wouldn't say worst ever. In my opinion team Kicker and Ravenwest need toning down so they won't divebomb you if they are 50 meters behind going into turn. Other than that AI is quite aggrresive, but it is fine. As you will sometimes missjudge a breaking point or turn in, AI can bump your side or rear. If you will go cosiderably slow on a racing line or worse you will weave across the road, they will hit you. They won't stop for the player to get up to speed after a spin. They will try to pass you. If you go slower than them they will try to pass you. 

AI makes more realistic mistakes here than in Grid 1 for example. In Grid 1 AI was driving on its line lap after lap, unless it was supposed to make a mistake, which meant full blown spinout and offtrack. It also was extremely res[pctfull for the player, to the point if you spun it would hapilly wait for you to get back on track. Here AI still can get offtrack, but most AI mistakes mean slide at the exit of the turn or too fast corner entry leading to slower outside line.

Much harder to pass, much more fun to race. Just stop them from piling into side of your car when they do 50km/h too much on the extremely shalow line.

yes i like A.I too but some times they are too agressive lol !  b-(
they reminds me NFS shift 2 unlished... 

MaXKiLLz said:
It'd be interesting to know what other auto racing titles a person has driven in the last 10 years that would make them exclaim Autosport has the "best AI ever".
Endless lot of car games really, Codemasters F1 games lately, Assetto Corsa and all the way back to TOCA 2.
It was my impression first days, and even as I find they might need a small adjustment now I still find it the coolest AI yet for let's say games newer than 2010.

I haven't been doing any GRID or Dirt before so I can't compare to those, but comparing to F1 2013 these AI are better:
They often hit without your car spinning around (more than you can say about many RL players)
Change directions the way like a real car would behave.
Avoid hitting you but at very close distance (like when they just sliding into being at front of you)
It seems they react the way that if you don't hit them, they are much more careful not to hit you - and vise versa.

Yes, they get some corner intros slow like in most Codemasters games (hard mode at least) then slower other places.
Yes, they are somehow too predictable at start at some tracks.

yes i like A.I too but some times they are too agressive lol !  b-(
they reminds me NFS shift 2 unlished... 
I would have said moer like the original shift but still I agree they can be a bit aggressive. I think it's mainly the Ravenwest guys though.

I've only done about 10 races so far, but I'm loving the AI, it's almost as good as TOCA 2 Touring Cars!

AI is competitive and interactive, but they will slam you if you try to pass on the inside or outside and they are far more heavier then your race car. I wish there was a way to program in Self Preservation, as far as taking care of your equipment, not trying to tear it up!

ai are racers no doubt but love wheel banging which turns away new racers tis just like shift ai, i like it lol little bit of swearing

Loore said:
CRobby22 said:
It's a combination of both. 

Each driver has their own attributes but then they'll also race in the style of their team. Some teams are better at some disciplines than others. So while a team may be great at Open Wheel and normally on the podium, you may find them at the bottom of the grid in Touring.

Edit: If someone is noticing issues with the AI then please do upload a video to YouTube, I'd be keen to see it first hand as if there is a problem we'll be able to identify it.
I could make videos of Ravenwest cheating with car setups?

I'd appreciate a proper response to that message I sent you a few days ago at least, because I'm getting frustrated that Ravenwest and Kicker's touring cars are faster than mine even if I drive for them and set the cars up properly. They outright embarrassed me during the Masters Trophy touring car events. Like, 3-seconds-a-lap-faster-than-every-other-car embarrassed.

Anyways, a more serious question: Why are drivers slower when they're your team-mates? Nathan thrashes everybody in touring cars but when I drove for Ravenwest yesterday, the Kicker cars kicked his ass. It's also frustrating because unless I'm in a top team, my team-mate always comes last and slowest by over a second per lap.

edit - don't get me wrong, I'm not completely lambasting the AI. In terms of actual driving skill on Hard and Very Hard I'd have to rate them as some of the best opponents since Grid 1, and probably better. They don't drive on rails, they make mistakes. They slide corners. I've seen Aaron Westley bin the first corner and completely smash his car to oblivion. I've had to navigate a ten-car pileup because an Oakley Cruze got shoved off the track and rolled over back onto it. Similarly I've had my fair share of daring overtakes with the Kicker cars trying to outbrake me, throw themselves up the inside of a hairpin because they thought I was going to go wide.

The only problems I have is that they're poor under braking, and you tried to mask this by giving them a performance advantage. They always brake far too early for corners when ahead of me even on Very Hard, but when far behind me they brake far later. If they drove that hard all the time they wouldn't need to have the subtle catchup/performance boosts that they have. Why not change it around so they brake properly? That way they wouldn't need to have better acceleration than my own car and I wouldn't have to slam up the inside of them to pass them since I can't pass them even in slipstream due to how much quicker they accelerate. Car setups make no difference to this either. Longer gears, shorter gears, no downforce or full downforce, I always have to either qualify first, or troll-slam my way past them in order to win because I simply do not keep up in a straight line.

That all said, they're superior to Grid 2's AI and it's still incredibly fun to jostle and battle with them in custom cups. Wish the Civic was better, though, but that's just me :P

The AI is amazing, but only on higher difficulty levels. On Very Hard, they're fast and also reasonably clean. But on Medium, they're unacceptably dirty, which I found out doing the Racenet races because the AI is set to Medium and can't be changed.

@Loore

I haven't set up the Youtube feature, but this is something you can try yourself, as it is very easy to replicate. Just go and do the Party Mode Lancia race. You get up alongside pretty much any of the AI opponents on a straight section and they will cut across the track to try and ram you off the road. Even if you are on opposite sides of the track and are nowhere near them, they will swerve across to hit you. They aren't trying to protect their line either, because they wait until you're alongside to cut across to deliberately hit you. That is unacceptable blatantly dirty behavior that should cost drivers their racing licenses. That kind of AI behavior is incredibly frustrating.

Awong124 said:
The AI is amazing, but only on higher difficulty levels. On Very Hard, they're fast and also reasonably clean. But on Medium, they're unacceptably dirty, which I found out doing the Racenet races because the AI is set to Medium and can't be changed.

@Loore

I haven't set up the Youtube feature, but this is something you can try yourself, as it is very easy to replicate. Just go and do the Party Mode Lancia race. You get up alongside pretty much any of the AI opponents on a straight section and they will cut across the track to try and ram you off the road. Even if you are on opposite sides of the track and are nowhere near them, they will swerve across to hit you. They aren't trying to protect their line either, because they wait until you're alongside to cut across to deliberately hit you. That is unacceptable blatantly dirty behavior that should cost drivers their racing licenses. That kind of AI behavior is incredibly frustrating.
LOL I thought it was a bit of fun, I noticed the party mode Lancia Ai are very aggressive as well, like demo derby racers lol, I kind of liked it as it made me laugh- it was just like some multiplayer sessions where half the field are rammers :) I won anyway :)