Motorsport Games, Codemasters and FIA World Rallycross Championship presented by Monster Energy partner to create the World RX Esports Invitational Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

GRID Autosport = Best AI ever

Loggy said:
Awong124 said:
The AI is amazing, but only on higher difficulty levels. On Very Hard, they're fast and also reasonably clean. But on Medium, they're unacceptably dirty, which I found out doing the Racenet races because the AI is set to Medium and can't be changed.

@Loore

I haven't set up the Youtube feature, but this is something you can try yourself, as it is very easy to replicate. Just go and do the Party Mode Lancia race. You get up alongside pretty much any of the AI opponents on a straight section and they will cut across the track to try and ram you off the road. Even if you are on opposite sides of the track and are nowhere near them, they will swerve across to hit you. They aren't trying to protect their line either, because they wait until you're alongside to cut across to deliberately hit you. That is unacceptable blatantly dirty behavior that should cost drivers their racing licenses. That kind of AI behavior is incredibly frustrating.
LOL I thought it was a bit of fun, I noticed the party mode Lancia Ai are very aggressive as well, like demo derby racers lol, I kind of liked it as it made me laugh- it was just like some multiplayer sessions where half the field are rammers :) I won anyway :)
It's not hard to win, but it's infuriating when you're trying to get Platinum and every little bit of time is essential.

Good AI? LOL

Rant incoming:
They are driving around in indestructible bricks taking no damage and just following the racing line you can turn on in difficulty settings. They can smash into you in full speed and still just drive on like nothing happened while you're up side down on the grass.
I tested going 200Kmh directly into the side of an ai in a turn. He barely moved while my cars was a total wreck.
I dont see where the "I" in the AI is.

Want a good AI? 
Then make them try to avoid you when you are in front instead of having them smash into you because you have to break early to prevent crashing in the car in front. Also try make them not change lane when you are side by side just because the driving line tells them to change.(and since they are driving tanks in disguise you will alway be pushed out of the road.)

Right now they are just following a racing line at a set speed. Thats not an AI at all. 

I don't think it has anything to do with their AI programming, but when you collide with an AI car why do they hardly get deflected while you fly off somewhere? A lot of people have mentioned this. NFS Shift had this same problem. It seems pretty unfair.

Awong124 said:
I don't think it has anything to do with their AI programming, but when you collide with an AI car why do they hardly get deflected while you fly off somewhere? A lot of people have mentioned this. NFS Shift had this same problem. It seems pretty unfair.
They can countersteer with more of an angle than the player can using a pad. I can jostle and counter the AI's aggression quite easily using a wheel because I can turn the steering more at speed than I can on a pad.

So far only played Street and I must admit I'm not noticing anything too unfair with the AI on Hard. I like the fact that when I bump an AI car they don't suffer too much as it keeps the pack racing nice and tight. I also really like the fact that i don't spin my car when I accidentally hit the rear end of another car at an angle when cornering unlike Grid 2. Maybe it was more realistic, I don't know, but it certainly wasn't fun to play. Haven't tried online yet but I'm pretty sure the toned down collision impacts will have improved the online experience if it's the same as career.

Awong124 said:
They can countersteer with more of an angle than the player can using a pad. I can jostle and counter the AI's aggression quite easily using a wheel because I can turn the steering more at speed than I can on a pad.
I have a wheel and I still found that to be the case. Maybe the AI just has better reflexes.

Some people are complaining about rubber banding but I'm not seeing any in career mode. I've noticed that sometimes - not always - the race leader will get a bit quicker when I get close to him, but not a lot quicker, and this could conceivably be a personality trait (IRL I imagine some drivers perform best when chasing, some when being chased, some when they've got space). I'm playing on Very Hard. If there is rubber banding here then it's certainly a lot less pronounced than it was in GRID1. I'm also not seeing any obvious cases of AI superpowers. All in all I'm really liking the AI, I just wish they'd stop rear ending me any time I take a corner fractionally less than perfect, especially in the supposedly no-contact open wheel races.

Also, the AI in this game does NOT simply run along the racing line like a railway. People throwing this particular complaint are talking pure bollocks.

the ai cars are still heavy but not nearly like the tanks they were in grid 2. i can atleast pit them if i want and ive run quite a few off the road, i wasnt able to do that at all in grid 2.

GJ77 said:
Some people are complaining about rubber banding but I'm not seeing any in career mode. I've noticed that sometimes - not always - the race leader will get a bit quicker when I get close to him, but not a lot quicker, and this could conceivably be a personality trait (IRL I imagine some drivers perform best when chasing, some when being chased, some when they've got space). I'm playing on Very Hard. If there is rubber banding here then it's certainly a lot less pronounced than it was in GRID1. I'm also not seeing any obvious cases of AI superpowers. All in all I'm really liking the AI, I just wish they'd stop rear ending me any time I take a corner fractionally less than perfect, especially in the supposedly no-contact open wheel races.
There's definitely rubberband but yes, it's far more subtle than Grid 1's unless you're -very far- ahead of Ravenwest. I had Nathan pull 5 seconds out his ass to catch me up in one lap once.

The fact that @Loore has gone very quiet since I asked him - genuinely curious because I enjoy understanding game mechanics - about the AI's behaviour/performance and setups says enough. He knows there's some 'Ravenwest Catchup' in the game. He doesn't want us to know about it. :P

It doesn't matter though, because it's so minor that for the most-part it doesn't make much difference.