Motorsport Games, Codemasters and FIA World Rallycross Championship presented by Monster Energy partner to create the World RX Esports Invitational Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Pad Work

First of all i must say that Grid Autosport is a massive massive massive improvement over Grid2.
I would like some advice from anybody who would care to answer.
I'm on PS3 i use a pad controller...... I know i know i need a wheel..... one day i'm sure.
I was racing against the regular guys last night who are all kitted out with wheels.

The race lobby is all assists off.

Why when i watch my (wheel) opponents they never wheel lock on braking or slide around the corners.
I do most of the time.
Does using a wheel help in this respect?

Ive had lots of practice altering methods of braking etc but it affects my time so much if i brake gradually to not lock up.

I use the right joystick of the pad for accelerating (forwards) and braking (backwards), so that the application can be gradual, but i note default accelerate and brake are designated to buttons which do not allow for gradual application, is it better to use the buttons instead?

I know this question is long winded, but please know that any reply would be most appreciated.

I used ps3 controler in grid1 and grid2 but bought a wheel recently. Make no mistake after using a controler all my life, a wheel is not easy to get used to. It's a totally different type of control. I am sure i would be faster with a controler but stick with the wheel because it is more realistic. But practice makes the master.

I manage to race properly without assists on the PS3 with a DS3. For braking, use this in combination with downshifting and get all sorted out before entering the corner. I use the default controller layout and manual gears. Try to move the left thumbstick not to wild but try to make one controlled movement through the corner.

First of all i must say that Grid Autosport is a massive massive massive improvement over Grid2.
I'm on PS3 i use a pad controller...... I know i know i need a wheel..... one day i'm sure.
I was racing against the regular guys last night who are all kitted out with wheels.

Why when i watch my (wheel) opponents they never wheel lock on braking or slide around the corners.
I do most of the time.

Ive had lots of practice altering methods of braking etc but it affects my time so much if i brake gradually to not lock up.

I use the right joystick of the pad for accelerating (forwards) and braking (backwards), so that the application can be gradual, but i note default accelerate and brake are designated to buttons which do not allow for gradual application, is it better to use the buttons instead?

I know this question is long winded, but please know that any reply would be most appreciated.
Short answer Goonerjon777, lose the right analogue stick.  Otherwise read on :-B

No, button acceleration and braking would be the same the same as on / off k&m.  Z axis (L/R triggers) acceleration and braking is imho the best way to utilise a gamepad, as analogue allows controlled 'left-foot braking' into and around corners which I suspect is what you describe seeing.

Goonerjon777 you will never be able to attain lfb using the right analogue stick, as physically you cannot overlap the right stick Y + / - axes, but you can with triggers as you can use / overlap both axes at the time - ie two fingers vs one thumb!  A wheel's pedals make it even smoother as you use both feet vs one thumb!  Essentially, you can aim to maximise stability into and around corners by using overlapping brake whilst still under acceleration to avoid throwing all the engine weight over the front tyres which causes the rears to lose lateral grip.  Larger roundabouts in the very early mornings are (allegedly O:-)) a very easy way to learn and feel this technique and the affect upon tyre grip using your own car without the expense of more track days, although highly illegal.

Google lfb, there's loads of tutorials from pro circuit drivers (also heel and toe techniques, lateral / longitudinal grip, front w drive vs rear w drive etc) that are explained with diagrams much better than I ever can from years of watching ToCA, WRC, F1 etc.  Codies' physics engine is really very technical and I was amazed at how well Grid2 cars responded to such.  (Only 1hr into autosport so can't confirm yet though certain it'll be the same.)

Hope this helps, see you on track/racenet!  ~X(

PS - In a highly competitive Grid2 tournament, I was stunned at how exceptional a lone gamepad driver was in comparison to the field of wheel users.  He held his own and outclassed most of us, certainly me!  You know who you are!  I'm going to be using a pad for a while in autosport (which had just finished re-downloading as i type!) until I can be bothered to buy a desk and dust off the ol' wheel and pedals.

I'm indifferent as to which I prefer, aside from Codies accomodate wheel users preferentially with calibration options compared to gamepad users who get diddly squat. X(

DJ007 said:

I do most of the time.

Short answer Goonerjon777, lose the right analogue stick.  Otherwise read on :-B

No, button acceleration and braking would be the same the same as on / off k&m.  Z axis (L/R triggers) acceleration and braking is imho the best way to utilise a gamepad, as analogue allows controlled 'left-foot braking' into and around corners which I suspect is what you describe seeing.

Goonerjon777 you will never be able to attain lfb using the right analogue stick, as physically you cannot overlap the right stick Y + / - axes, but you can with triggers as you can use / overlap both axes at the time - ie two fingers vs one thumb!  A wheel's pedals make it even smoother as you use both feet vs one thumb!  Essentially, you can aim to maximise stability into and around corners by using overlapping brake whilst still under acceleration to avoid throwing all the engine weight over the front tyres which causes the rears to lose lateral grip.  Larger roundabouts in the very early mornings are (allegedly O:-)) a very easy way to learn and feel this technique and the affect upon tyre grip using your own car without the expense of more track days, though highly illegal.

Google lfb, there's loads of tutorials from pro circuit drivers (also heel and toe techniques, lateral / longitudinal grip, front w drive vs rear w drive etc) that are explained with diagrams much better than I ever can from years of watching ToCA, WRC, F1 etc.  Codies' physics engine is really very technical and I was amazed at how well Grid2 responded well to such.  (Only 1hr into autosport so can't confirm yet though certain it'll be the same.)

Hope this helps, see you on track/racenet!  ~X(
Huh lol.

Thank you for your time DJ007
I've always used the right analogue for this purpose, i obviously had my doubts hence the question, gonna give your answer some though & time on the circuit.
Cheers