Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's wrong with my computer/game?

I'm sure some of you have seen a couple of my angry posts about the game stuttering, lagging, and refusing to be playable. Well, it's still getting worse and worse (I just booted up the game for the first time in at least a month and a half and it was so god awful I couldn't get to the graphics settings to try changing those). I tried my old AMD Radeon HD7770, same problems. New install location, same problems. Back to Windows 8, same problems. New drivers for literally everything, same problems. Old drivers, same problems. All manner of game settings, same problems. I don't know what the problem is. I'm the only one. Other games work perfectly. 
Kind of really frustrating. Maybe a Codies tech could help me figure this out, but idk.

Game started out a few months ago with stuttering. Every couple seconds, it would skip a bunch of frames and cause me to fly off a cliff or something. Game took no input during these skips. Only happened on certain Greece stages. Usually fixed by restart. Progressed to all locations after a couple weeks. Then, skips started becoming impossible to stop, I had to live with it every time I played. Then, about three months ago, it turned into a progressively-worsening lag. The longer the game was on, the laggier it got, and it still skipped in addition. Usually after 3/4 of a normal stage I couldn't make it around a corner and FPS monitors thrown into a graph would basically be solely jumps between 0-5 and 55-60, with no smooth lines or planes in sight. Even the menus skipped and lagged. Now, the minute I turn on the game, it's laggy. Performance stays exactly the same even on minimum settings, when I could previously manage to play comfortably at high (avg. mid 50s FPS). 

AMD FX-8350
Asus GTX 760 DirectCU II
MSI 970A-G43
Seagate Barracuda 2TB (from 2011 or so, don't know model #)
Windows 10
14GB Assorted RAM (tried unlinked and linked modes, overclocking, underclocking, etc. as I had a large suspicion this was the cause)

Last ditch effort posting on here before I just give up on the game.

I get it too, even going to minimum settings, doesn't help.  I don't know much about PC's, but Sometimes I think it's the power supply struggling to pump juice as it seems to happen for me when I'm experiencing really intense FFB signal?

To play online, and ofline and avoid lag on games, it helps cleaning the disk,(i never use more than half of disk full)  i use cc cleaner, clean you windows task bar, check of  all unnecessary aplications wen windows is booting, close other aplications when you play, use windows basic themes, mini aplication off. i hope this helps. 

GSHOCCKK said:
I forgot dont update you bios system, many computers makes many unstability conflicts.
What you really want to say is if all your hardware is working properly you do not NEED to update your BIOS. However, if you do be prepared to reinstall your Os and update drivers.

Windows 10
14GB Assorted RAM (tried unlinked and linked modes, overclocking, underclocking, etc. as I had a large suspicion this was the cause)

Looking at your motherboard it is dual channel memory motherboard which means you should only be adding memory in MATCHED pairs. Remove any unmatched simms so you have 4 or 8 gigs of matched ram in the same coloured simm slots OR those recommended by MSI,...read your manual. Then confirm that your ram is good by running Memtest +86 test #5. DO NOT overclock any hardware at this time,...motherboard defaults usually F5. Test Dirt Rally. BTW unplug\disconnect ALL unnecessary usb devices and do not use mouse menu.
If this does not help leave your MB at defaults with the 4 or 8 gigs of matched ram and do a NEW complete install of windows, NO antivirus, NO additional software and only install missing drivers that show up in device manager,....download, install DR. You did not state what controller you are using? Install the controller drivers for your Os. Also DO NOT switch video cards without using a driver cleaner like DDU to completely remove all traces.

Is DR still broken?

I'm currently building this.  Waiting on my case to arrive
Intel Core i7-6700K
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3
MSI GTX 970
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 2400
Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX
Samsung EVO 250 for OS

I'll joining y'all for the build headaches

Ledanek said:
Intel Core i7-6700K
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3
MSI GTX 970
Samsung EVO 250 for OS

Are you moving to Windows 10? What I found on my system is Windows did not install the most recent device manager "system" updates during install and after running updates! I had to select each Intel(R) branch and update driver software to get it to load the latest versions. Of course you could use something like ioBit Driver Booster as well :smile:
Keep us updated.

Windows 10

Looking at your motherboard it is dual channel memory motherboard which means you should only be adding memory in MATCHED pairs. Remove any unmatched simms so you have 4 or 8 gigs of matched ram in the same coloured simm slots OR those recommended by MSI,...read your manual. Then confirm that your ram is good by running Memtest +86 test #5. DO NOT overclock any hardware at this time,...motherboard defaults usually F5. Test Dirt Rally. BTW unplug\disconnect ALL unnecessary usb devices and do not use mouse menu.
If this does not help leave your MB at defaults with the 4 or 8 gigs of matched ram and do a NEW complete install of windows, NO antivirus, NO additional software and only install missing drivers that show up in device manager,....download, install DR. You did not state what controller you are using? Install the controller drivers for your Os. Also DO NOT switch video cards without using a driver cleaner like DDU to completely remove all traces.

Is DR still broken?
Yeah, I've done that. I know all that stuff, been there and done that.  Tested every configuration of DIMMs. I'm aware that my mobo is shitty and I shouldn't have unmatched RAM, but for years it's been running perfectly. DR is the only game/program that's ever had issues. All my overclocking has long since been undone and reset to factory. 
I'm using a Logitech G27, sorry, forgot to mention that. The problem existed before I bought that, though, when I was using an Xbox 360 controller. Tried a new install of Windows on a separate HDD, along with DR, but the problem persisted.

idk man. I'm stumped. 

OK. Do me a favor and edit your usb registry keys like below and let me know if it worked? The only reason I am suggesting it is that I had the SelectedSuspend corrupted entry on a fresh install and my Corsair Link would not work properly until I edited it and I am not sure if that is what fixed my stuttering.
http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153706

It's obviously not only IHazABone , TuliRally and me having the same problem....
I've tried also everything!

It's very dissapointing  that the Devs are still ignoring this mess.
Since months (patch 0.7) we are waiting for an usefull answer!
(just one example:)
http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/37632/groundhog-day-stutter-or-what-ever-bug#latest

Devs:  "we are working on it" would not be a satisfying answer, but it would be "something" or anyway an answer!

It's obviously not only IHazABone , TuliRally and me having the same problem....
I've tried also everything!

It's very dissapointing  that the Devs are still ignoring this mess.
Since months (patch 0.7) we are waiting for an usefull answer!
(just one example:)
http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/37632/groundhog-day-stutter-or-what-ever-bug#latest

Devs:  "we are working on it" would not be a satisfying answer, but it would be "something" or anyway an answer!

Now that i have time because of 1 month off from work i will put my specs here and to my signature (as suggested on another thread)

What i can now say that it really started for me after patch 0.9, and before that it was more like micro stuttering. Somewhere on patch 0.6 - 0.7 if i recall correctly. I have been with EA right from the start and had no problems at launch. 

I have mentioned on another thread that even when benchmarking this problem still occures in similar fashion as when playing (fps drops/stutters/lack of FFB effects)
, and everytime i took my wheel of my frames went up from as low as 30fps back to solidish 60 fps (same as it used to be or is before problems start)

Problems start when i:
Play more than one stage
Go to menus too many times
Hang out in or fiddle too much in main menus
And worst problems i get if, i left game idle on menus (frames go as low as 5 fps)

My friend started talking about memory leaks and something with corrupted usb drives etc. But because all other games work with no problems... i just don't know.
(And i am not an computer wizard. Although i understand some but all things related to audio is more my field)

Edit: If i restart my game, everything goes to normal until i do things mentioned earlier and to paraphrase Marcus Grönholm "it is s**t in the rally when we have this kind of weather". By that i mean restarting after every stage (and i know that problem might not be enterily CM fault, but a combination of many things) 

Ps. Like i mentioned before there is similar threads with f1 and grid series

Yep i meant to say that my "vacation" starts today so i will try to put my specs up as soon as i collect them and have time to myself. 

What i do have that could contribute to that is two different ram memory pairs. They have been correctly paired (with same memory paired with each other in correct slots), but these pairs have differences. I have had those from start of EA and i have not change anything from my computer since then. Everything worked for me with this setup until 0.6/0.7 and every other game works. 

But enough for me rambling because i understand that i may not be helped before i post my specs and more detailed info. I am wondering though that if they change something to optimize game, maybe it has caused my little bit unorthodox memory setup to act kind of weird  :D

Have you seen the latest post by @MrJamieLowes on a potential stutter fix?

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/38671/potential-stutter-fix-steam-compatibility-mode#latest

Ledanek said:
Intel Core i7-6700K
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3
MSI GTX 970
Samsung EVO 250 for OS

Are you moving to Windows 10? What I found on my system is Windows did not install the most recent device manager "system" updates during install and after running updates! I had to select each Intel(R) branch and update driver software to get it to load the latest versions. Of course you could use something like ioBit Driver Booster as well :smile:
Keep us updated.

No Window 10 install for me.
I'll get to play for 5 min, then it would restart my PC. I'm waiting for more updates, SP1

When I ran a torture test on my GPU, with both fans at 90%, it still crashes

UPDATE: Might help someone.
I initially thought I could reuse my older SilverstoneTek Stryder 620W because, it had all the cabling I needed, as far as pins go.
It kept crashing. So what I did was test it with MSI benchmarker Kombustor and even with the fan on highest setting, the pc would crash.
I read it somewhere that it was not getting enough juice, so I took the psu from my current rig Win7Pro 64-bit/ ABIT IP35 Pro / Intel C2D E8400 /Xigmatek HDT-RS1283/ MSI R7870 AMD 14.501.1003.0/16GB Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5DHX 5-5-5-18 / CORSAIR 850AX/ CM Stacker 830SE/ 120mm Yate Loon D12SL-12 / Creative Labs Fatal1ty ProGamer/ Logitech G27

I just positioned the psu behind the case to give me room/length so I manage the cable easier and on first torture test 3DMark (free) it held up well, including the Kombustor.
So, conclusion: don't skip on the PSU.

Your power supply is very important that's why I run a 1K unit with very good ripple and current..
If I may, what is your PSU? I'd like to add it on my wishlist for the next build.  B)

Unfortunately I can't afford trying a different power supply. However, I can run burn tests on the RAM, CPU, and GPU for 24h without fail. prime95 - 24 hours, 8 threads, blend. Still having issues. 

What is your driver version (nvidia)? and can you test if run with 12GB of ram solve the problem?

I've updated my drivers seven or eight times since the problem started. My entire computer lags (typing, I hadn't noticed it before because I always closed the game) with the game. I've tried that already.