Sign in to follow this  

Feedback of AI in Grid Autosport

I thought of starting a poll where everyone can share there feedback on the AI in Grid Autosport. Hopefully, this poll will provide a good source of feedback to CM and also a basis to tweak the AI if required.

They are a bit aggressive but in generall, they are damn fun to play with.

Congrats to Codemasters for coding such an incredible AI.

The more you play the more issues you will have with this A.I... very stupid and if they were playing football they would play like Luis suarez...

I love the AI in GRID AUTOSPORT. I like how I can't pass all of the racers on the first lap. The AI make for a good and challenging race.

I play on hard settings with damage on, how many times have I had to restart the race after getting damaged by the "A.I" slamming into me or slamming me into a wall or a sand trap... I don't use the driving line so I might misjudge my braking on some tracks that I'm unfamiliar with but that shouldn't mean that I get wrecked by the A.I... 

I think the AI is pretty good and as Loore confirmed in another thread the drivers do race differently from eachother.  I personally cant stand Team Kicker, but I know that I have to race them differently than when Im around Oakley for example.  I like that the AI will make mistakes under pressure and while AI will never be perfect I think this is a pretty good effort and they make for an enjoyable game.

I find it's a touch aggressive in places but not overly so (unlike Grid 2) though. In general I think it's well balanced and will fight you if you leave the door open although I'm finding the starts tricky with a number of AI cars getting past me before I'm really up to speed. All in all though I'm finding the game really good and challenging

For me AI is way too agressive sometimes. Many times I was positioned nicely in the pack, One behind another we enter a curve and freaking McKane or Westley, (or how i call him Wresley) wil divebomb 3 cars, and ram you full speed while you are at the apex...

I moved from touring class to endurance and same diveboms all the time, AI goes to the inside, i leave it space so we exit two wide, same speed, I have racing line and inside line towards next corner. AI just diregards my existens, moves over to the raicing line pushing me out on the kerb and further like a freaking locomotive. And most often than not it is not a nudge. The slam you like in Flatout or burnout paradise... Great in x3 endurance races.

MaXKiLLz said:
Clearly the AI is not recognizing the human player's existence on the racing line.

I agree with this. it seems like sometimes the AI is good, and can race hard. But when it comes to corners, the AI will just flat out run you over. If you wind up on the outside, be ready for impact.

But except for the divebombing and team Ravenwest being utter assholes on the road. (I think in real life, they would be banned from racing after the stunts they pull on the circuit on the constant basis), this game is a blast, and after cars spreadout the game stops being demolition derby and you can have great time racing AI. ( Espetially that you can set races to be x2, x3 or x5 times long and you can set some proper difficulty, You are no longer required to pass 10 guys in 2 laps.)

In previous games it was stupid how player was starting at the end and had to push trought the field to get decent result. While fun for few races it gets really taxing and yuo just ended up lowering difficulty and divebombing in first few corners.

Allowing us to change race lenght and giving us practise and qually was best move by Codies! I will not go back to NFS Shift 2, nor previous Grids, It was my biggest problem with Grid 1. No qually= you started at the back. Different cars all the time, you had no idea how the car will handle untill the first few corners. 

Couldn't agree more regarding the ability to change race length, and do practice and qualifying. A master stroke by CM. I race x5 every time and am loving it. I'm so sick of 3 lap sprints like in Forza, but if people like that, they can do that too, everybody wins! Giving us the choice to do or not do any of these things is greatly appreciated.

likewise said:
The more you play the more issues you will have with this A.I... very stupid and if they were playing football they would play like Luis suarez...
Have to agree to this one. Many times AI from behind come to me with high speed & actually use me as a brake to slow down their car when making any sharp corner and i get knock off track or push far away from apex as a result .. very dirty & violent AI i must say.
I talking about "Very Hard" AI.

Kicker car with a epic Bonzai move - I entered wide (luckily) and was going to sweep in to get the inside into the next corner, but got hit and pushed way out, then the Kicker car tried to pit manuver me after that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWPnhz7tkQA

Cusco with a " I don't care that you're there" This was at the start of the race, so it wasn't as if I divebombed to get there, I was there the whole time. - Though it could have been worse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-mQUW5VhXc

Oakley with an epic block move - look at the other AI's lines to see just how much of a block he threw 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-UmdcPuZyQ

Sorry to tell you this but the AI will only fight fire with fire. So if you are targeted by the AI like above, it's because you started it. Why do I say this?

While I was testing GAS last month I hit the AI cars a fair few times, when they caught back up I was on the receiving end of an attempted PITT.. Not just a shunt, a deliberate attempt to cause a spin. Exactly what you see above..

When I updated Loore on my thoughts of the "full version" of the game, I mentioned my observation of the AI and got this little comment in the reply.

"That's right, an AI driver will retaliate if you knock them around a bit!" 

So if you're "nice" to the AI and drive clean? They'll do likewise and won't attack you when you make clean pass. Swap paint, make a few dents? You might get away with it BUT, Do the dirty on the AI, shunt them out the way, use them instead of brakes at a corner? Then be warned, it's gonna return the favor any chance it gets...

You know, I think it would be good to know if people who think that the AI aren't very good are playing on consoles?

There seems to be a very different experience between the console version and the PC, may be it's processing power and thus a different AI implementation was applied to the consoles. I surmise this as PC players are generally happy with the AI, but quite a few console owners, are not.

I can also confirm what @SRS13Rastus1701 wrote above. I generally like to drive as cleanly as possible and don't really get much smash-bang-wallop from the AI, they even give me room to manoeuvre on occasion, but as soon as I start roughing them up, I can expect more of the same in return. I love this!

Sorry to tell you this but the AI will only fight fire with fire. So if you are targeted by the AI like above, it's because you started it. Why do I say this?

While I was testing GAS last month I hit the AI cars a fair few times, when they caught back up I was on the receiving end of an attempted PITT.. Not just a shunt, a deliberate attempt to cause a spin. Exactly what you see above..

When I updated Loore on my thoughts of the "full version" of the game, I mentioned my observation of the AI and got this little comment in the reply.

So if you're "nice" to the AI and drive clean? They'll do likewise and won't attack you when you make clean pass. Swap paint, make a few dents? You might get away with it BUT, Do the dirty on the AI, shunt them out the way, use them instead of brakes at a corner? Then be warned, it's gonna return the favor any chance it gets...
Calling bull ****. They raced the same way from the very first race I did. This has been how they've raced since day one, race one.

Besides how blind fanboy do you have to be to say that about the first vid? It wasn't even me he dive bombed (though I was caught in it a bit) That's how the kicker cars drive every race.

The IA is good. Sometimes it could push me and do cheap shot but most of the time, it's clean. It's clean but in my term of clean. Maybe it could be not so clean for others.

Yeah I've had bad races and the AI has caused crashes by making mistakes and even attacks myself or did you miss that part?

All the AI have attributes, look at your (most often) useless team mates in career, they all behave differently so why wouldn't some be more aggressive?

As for the fanboy bit, yes I play CM's games, yes I was lucky enough to be given access early to this game, IF you were around in the previous forums you might have seen my many politely derisive comments about Showdown and Grid 2.

Many "compatriots of old" out there, were a bit less..... Diplomatic about how they expressed their opinion, resulting in bans for a few weeks.

ALL of us "Fanboys" as you call us, those "compatriots of old". Regular names still,
Assimodis,
CaptainJack,
Miatakias_GR,
Flowaangelz,
Flash-Stealth,
_POLICE_,
[BEER4}PureEvil,
Zorada,
Zappac,
Mcnab,
Purple44,
Mattey,
Ultra.joe,
Sandoryanko,
Camarimore,
DJ,
Avail,
SRBIJ-deadyet,
We along with COUNTLESS others (sorry to all I forgot off the top of my head, issa BIG list). We moaned, groaned, derided, accused, lambasted, verbally abused, got banned, came back, did it again, got banned again and finally voted with our controllers and wheels, while telling CM what WE thought, what WE had actually wanted and, where THEY had gone soooo badly wrong.....

Last year CM (in the midst of all the mayhem), put out the idea for people to "come play games" at their HQ. The purpose? For GAMERS to tell them where they went astray, tell them WHAT was wrong with it. I was invited to go along but work made it impossible. Others did get there, they played, they tested games handling models, gave there thoughts on them and kept to any secrets to themselves...

Since then CM have listened to what we said, trawled through our responses to surveys, eaten a MASSIVE dollop of humble pie and admitted mistakes were made and even apologized. For that alone they deserve our respect, for being more open than most politicians ever will.

Some say they should have given GAS away instead of a 10% discount for owners of Grid 2, In anger I might have agreed once and think I even did, reality then set in, These people work just like the rest of us, they gotta eat and pay bills the same as the rest of us.

Deride us "fanboys" all you like, we DID actually request things exactly like this, an AI that doesn't just sit line astern desperately trying to stay on the racing line all the time as they do in Grid 2.

Did they get it all right? No, cockpit cam is a mess an useless for the no hud fans, No in-game text chat, No spectate mode in the online lobby while waiting for races to finish, but they are listening to us and have asked for these things to be added, we may get them we may not. I'm happy as is others aren't. We can't all get what we want.

I find that the AI in open wheel still seem to push me off the track at times, and my friend agrees. But other than that, it is pretty good :)

It is a copy and paste of f12012/2013. AI can't detect you most of the times thus It rams you 90% of the times

Calling bull ****. They raced the same way from the very first race I did. This has been how they've raced since day one, race one.

Besides how blind fanboy do you have to be to say that about the first vid? It wasn't even me he dive bombed (though I was caught in it a bit) That's how the kicker cars drive every race.
Rastus/DarkRedslayer

TBH I agree with DarkRedSlayer on this one.

What I've found is that the AI "feel" fine so long as you are moving up and progressing through the field. But if you are trying to hold position they can be a pain - worse in toruing cars than in open wheel.

I'm not convinced about the "like for like" claim either. I've had the AI shunt me off the track several times when it simply wasn't possible in the time to have done anything to make them want to take revenge.

Their is something incredibly frustrating about going through all the hassle of starting a race, only to get shunted off by an AI within the first few corners. This has happened too many times for my liking - it turns the game into a bit of a lottery.

hola said:
It is a copy and pase of f12012/2013. AI can't detect you most of the times thus It rams you 90% of the times
This would tie in with my experience. Moving up through the field - you avoiding the AI, no problem. Holding position, AI avoiding you - big problem.