Sign in to follow this  

Feedback of AI in Grid Autosport

I have nothing against ocasional contact, especially in the touring car series. What is wrong thou are massive divebombs by Team Kicker and team Ravenwest. They play destruction derby. Take lines that thay cannot make pass to the point they will hit side of your car and slow down on you. That is utterly unrealistic and such things should stay withing Need for Speed series, And I am not even talking about Shift series, but about Burnout Paradise copies EA pushes out lately.

There is difference between agressive driving, and just dumb crashing into others in the turn. From three videos shown in this thread the first shows dumb divebomb. If you hit SIDE of a car in the turn, it is only your faul. Team Kicker there just divebombed other AI and smashed right into driver doors... If there was no car there he would go straight trought the turn and onto gravel trap. You cannot use other cars as your private break assist! That propably be black flag in any real race, with reprimend or suspention from race controll. You just can't do that! Even in touring class races. Other two show AI just going for their usual track when they don't have to. What I said earlier. You cannot race two wide trought the corner with the AI. If you are side by side, but didn't passed them yet, (and I don't mean you try to push your nose in, but are really side by side) they will go for the apex regardless that you are there and smash into the side of you. Especially in fast turns.

I agree with others, and I wish I could change my vote to "dumb and aggressive" -- they simply fail to acknowledge your existence and will therefore try and take a racing line which effectively runs through your car. You can guess what happens when your car meets the AI car.

On lower difficulty levels, AI is timid into corners, slow and aggressive. On hardest difficulty levels, AI is fast, obnoxious and aggressive. Actually, it's downright Mad Max crazy.

I don't think I'm going to play much more career if they don't modify the AI behaviour with a patch, which is incredibly disappointing.

The fact that everyone seems to specifically naming the Team Kicker cars as the problem should say something. Maybe the Kicker drivers are set to be a bit too aggressive, but otherwise the rest of the AI seem to be doing well. If you ever team up with Kicker, you'll even see that your teammate is stupidly aggressive and will "go for gaps that are impossible" or something similar written in his description.

Ravenwest has always been assholes with their driving style, it's pretty much to be expected that they have no problem bumping you and you need to watch out for them.

The only time I've noticed absurd aggression from AI have been from AI that I have already done my fair share of hitting against earlier in the race/series.

Sorry to tell you this but the AI will only fight fire with fire. So if you are targeted by the AI like above, it's because you started it. Why do I say this?

While I was testing GAS last month I hit the AI cars a fair few times, when they caught back up I was on the receiving end of an attempted PITT.. Not just a shunt, a deliberate attempt to cause a spin. Exactly what you see above..

When I updated Loore on my thoughts of the "full version" of the game, I mentioned my observation of the AI and got this little comment in the reply.

"That's right, an AI driver will retaliate if you knock them around a bit!" 

So if you're "nice" to the AI and drive clean? They'll do likewise and won't attack you when you make clean pass. Swap paint, make a few dents? You might get away with it BUT, Do the dirty on the AI, shunt them out the way, use them instead of brakes at a corner? Then be warned, it's gonna return the favor any chance it gets...
Calling bull ****. They raced the same way from the very first race I did. This has been how they've raced since day one, race one.

Besides how blind fanboy do you have to be to say that about the first vid? It wasn't even me he dive bombed (though I was caught in it a bit) That's how the kicker cars drive every race.

That first vid, something comes off a car before there's even contact. It's also possible that the AI simply missed their braking point or locked the brakes (it happens occasionally, the AI isn't designed to be perfect every turn).

As for the other two videos, your line is garbage and I'm not surprised you got hit. If you were doing those lines online, you would've got hit much worse than what the AI did. In the second video, you're way inside, you're behind the AI, and your line has you going -wide- outside assuming you even make the turn and the AI didn't block you halfway. In the third, you missed the braking point by about 100 meters and then slammed into the AI. 

The AI could probably be better, but man if you were driving like that online you would've caused a pileup in those last 2 videos. You somehow expect the AI to accommodate for you (when they're ahead, no less), but you do absolutely nothing to avoid a crash with them. 

Thorinbur said:
I have nothing against ocasional contact, especially in the touring car series. What is wrong thou are massive divebombs by Team Kicker and team Ravenwest. They play destruction derby. Take lines that thay cannot make pass to the point they will hit side of your car and slow down on you. That is utterly unrealistic and such things should stay withing Need for Speed series, And I am not even talking about Shift series, but about Burnout Paradise copies EA pushes out lately.

There is difference between agressive driving, and just dumb crashing into others in the turn. From three videos shown in this thread the first shows dumb divebomb. If you hit SIDE of a car in the turn, it is only your faul. Team Kicker there just divebombed other AI and smashed right into driver doors... If there was no car there he would go straight trought the turn and onto gravel trap. You cannot use other cars as your private break assist! That propably be black flag in any real race, with reprimend or suspention from race controll. You just can't do that! Even in touring class races. Other two show AI just going for their usual track when they don't have to. What I said earlier. You cannot race two wide trought the corner with the AI. If you are side by side, but didn't passed them yet, (and I don't mean you try to push your nose in, but are really side by side) they will go for the apex regardless that you are there and smash into the side of you. Especially in fast turns.
Agreed
G2Wolf said:

Sorry to tell you this but the AI will only fight fire with fire. So if you are targeted by the AI like above, it's because you started it. Why do I say this?

While I was testing GAS last month I hit the AI cars a fair few times, when they caught back up I was on the receiving end of an attempted PITT.. Not just a shunt, a deliberate attempt to cause a spin. Exactly what you see above..

When I updated Loore on my thoughts of the "full version" of the game, I mentioned my observation of the AI and got this little comment in the reply.

So if you're "nice" to the AI and drive clean? They'll do likewise and won't attack you when you make clean pass. Swap paint, make a few dents? You might get away with it BUT, Do the dirty on the AI, shunt them out the way, use them instead of brakes at a corner? Then be warned, it's gonna return the favor any chance it gets...
Calling bull ****. They raced the same way from the very first race I did. This has been how they've raced since day one, race one.

Besides how blind fanboy do you have to be to say that about the first vid? It wasn't even me he dive bombed (though I was caught in it a bit) That's how the kicker cars drive every race.

That first vid, something comes off a car before there's even contact. It's also possible that the AI simply missed their braking point or locked the brakes (it happens occasionally, the AI isn't designed to be perfect every turn).

As for the other two videos, your line is garbage and I'm not surprised you got hit. If you were doing those lines online, you would've got hit much worse than what the AI did. In the second video, you're way inside, you're behind the AI, and your line has you going -wide- outside assuming you even make the turn and the AI didn't block you halfway. In the third, you missed the braking point by about 100 meters and then slammed into the AI. 

The AI could probably be better, but man if you were driving like that online you would've caused a pileup in those last 2 videos. You somehow expect the AI to accommodate for you (when they're ahead, no less), but you do absolutely nothing to avoid a crash with them. 
First one : that was parts of another car he'd already hit on the way into the corner.

Second vid : it was at the start of a race, that's how car's tend to go into the first corner when the start deep on the inside. If he hadn't plowed across the track we both could have gotten through fine (The fact that you say I'd get wrecked online, is exactly why I don't race with the morons that race online)

3Thrid : You're blind. Watch the video with a less bias vision, and you'll see the only reason I even went in deep was because I had to turn left while braking. That's an instant loss of braking power. Had the AI not thrown the blatant, block that only a blind man wouldn't be able to see, I would have been fine. I looked inside to see if I could have a go, I was going to brake normal and stay tucked in behind him through the corner, but he threw the unexpected block.

Fact is, the AI should "accommodate" to an extent, because in real life, you do in fact adjust your line based on where someone else is. You don't just run them over because you don't like the line they are taking, you'll just wind up in the sand pit. Good job showing why the first turn is always a pileup online though "Oh you're too far inside you'll never make the turn so I'm just going to drive through you" seems to be a very good example of the general online racing game populous across the board.

Bottom line is, you can't not go into the first corner in some form of weird angle, because other people are starting the race at the same time. Maybe if online players learned that, I'd actually race online. Luckily, my friends aren't idiots that I race with, so we can get through corners we shouldn't be 2 wide on, 3 wide and not wreck each other.

It just behaves as dumb as in F12012/'13.

Can't detect you = ram

@Loore, hoping CM got good feedback out of this thread. Nice to see so many votes. Personally, I like the AI. Thanks CM.

Figured I'd post this since it seems some people in this thread don't know how you're supposed to take a corner if you have a car on the inside. He was just as far over as I was when I got slammed, and this wasn't even the first lap. But I knew he was there so :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwdvjtcUmnQ&list=UU00YyLnUs6oWESdUSjNTEDQ

Now granted, the AI still ran me wide on exit - ignoring that bit since it was an acceptable level -, that is the proper line to take when you know someone has stuck their nose in. Not just ram them and say "Well you weren't going to make the corner anyway" or "I had the line and you only had your nose in" etc etc.

Figured I'd post this since it seems some people in this thread don't know how you're supposed to take a corner if you have a car on the inside. He was just as far over as I was when I got slammed, and this wasn't even the first lap. But I knew he was there so :

Now granted, the AI still ran me wide on exit - ignoring that bit since it was an acceptable level -, that is the proper line to take when you know someone has stuck their nose in. Not just ram them and say "Well you weren't going to make the corner anyway" or "I had the line and you only had your nose in" etc etc.
There's a difference when you are side-by-side like that, compared to the other video in this thread where he is a few car lengths going into the braking zone.

G2Wolf said:

There's a difference when you are side-by-side like that, compared to the other video in this thread where he is a few car lengths going into the braking zone.

Obviously you're not even paying attention. this is mostly in reference to vid 2.

Racenet is apparently down which is annoying, so I recorded it with my phone to show we were in no way side by side the whole time (or at all til we were in the corner for that matter). You seem to see only what you want to see, and not what's actually there : 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG00rmGzONk

I got racenet to co-operate. And decided to make this short vid to show you how wrong you were about the other vid as well.

For comparison, the block vid : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-UmdcPuZyQ 
Note how I am mid track, and brake almost perfectly between the 100 and 50

Later braking point, FAR worse entry point (pretty much as bad as you can get). Following the proper line, you can brake even later.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0j_9v9x3gI
Braked almost at the 50

Now hop off and move on.

Is It really necessary to prove how dumb the AI is?,  It can be seen on every single race, specially on hard and very hard

I don't think the AI can be defended in this vid, it's pretty obvious they are going too fast into the the corner & are going to take out any car that's in their way,  This was on medium difficulty , ye rubbin is racing in touring cars but I think this is taking it to the extreme.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXttCRgDs8c

My strategy.

If team kicker are coming up behind fast, move across and let them through. If you try to block the odds are they will either get past or shunt you off circuit. If you are behind team kicker then you are in control. Wait for the pass point and take it, making sure you give them a wide berth.

Not that complicated really. It probably helps that I race on a few more laps than normal, so I can be a bit more patient making the move.

hola said:
Is It really necessary to prove how dumb the AI is?,  It can be seen on every single race, specially on hard and very hard
Apparently so.

I've been enjoying the game so far, cars a great to drive, love the selection of tracks. I do find however that the AI can be very aggressive at times, and it's extremely annoying when trying to complete RaceNet challenges. Here is an example of me playing on Xbox 360, the 'Party' challenge as of 2nd July 2014.

I hope this kind of behaviour can be fixed in a future update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BnHJ_m5j8k

Dude it's eliminator.... You seriously think the AI isn't going to try and stop you pass?

They block you down the straight, so you set them up by moving to the outside and then out brake them into the corner only to have them SLAM you so hard in the corner, they break your door or glass or worse they shove you into the armco barrier. Laptime wise they race pretty hard and competitively, but there is no reason to slam your car when you have the inside position EVERY time. I don't mind banging fenders that comes with good racing, but not to the extent the AI goes to. 

I hate how the AI have absolutely no awareness that you are there in a corner. If you dive to the inside of the corner, the AI ram into you and carry on while you spin out. If you go along the outside of a corner, at the end/past the apex they will go straight up the track and punt you off. At the ovals they do the same thing but in those cases, you crash into a wall. It's as if they can only follow one rail line and do not have any second rail lines to go onto when you are passing them. 

omg who created the ai, i want to find you and make you a time traveler and smack you into next week.
the ai, dont race like you would in real life, this game is the biggest p.o.s i've ever had the misfortune to buy, not to mention that i had to download a huge amount off the garbage steam. what were you clowns thinking.

i can promise you this, from now, on there is no way in hell i will play games that have codemasters on it. you need to fix the damned ai, so they race clean, not ram you off the f road all the time.

NONSENSE

The cars the I've never even touched, or passed, often ram me off at the corners.
They come blasting in at high speed, whether I'm taking a good line or not.
Ever time I take a corner in this game its like a gamble if I will survive or not.
That's why I don't play this game.
The computer cars are also built like tanks in this game, and ofte nany contacnt involves you shooting off the track, and them hardly moving.

You statement is so biased its laughable.

I have the PS3 version.
Perhaps the PC version has less aggressive AI?
That's the only reason I can possibly think of when I hear statements like yours.

Sorry but I was speaking from experience and not "NONSENSE" as you put it.

https://youtu.be/2P4_-BDfidU
https://youtu.be/_XcgMprvQYg
https://youtu.be/hlGDEIP19lo
https://youtu.be/nN_7nz1cwg8

Don't see any massive amount of aggression from the AI at all, the reason why is  because even when I do hit them I'm already ahead or I ease off instead of usiing them as a cornering aid.
Try getting a completely clean race in the 1st race and they WILL race cleanly, if you do collide back off, avoid making a pass or they will target you for revenge for the rest of that series of races.

On the flipside when I have been cannoning off the AI the rest of the races in that particular series I expect the AI to respond and drive accordingly i,e, stay well clear of the AI and be ultra clean, this doesn't always work to make them behave but it CAN do....

Just hope Codies dont do the AI for the google self driving cars, can you imagine !

Sorry but I was speaking from experience and not "NONSENSE" as you put it.

https://youtu.be/2P4_-BDfidU
https://youtu.be/_XcgMprvQYg
https://youtu.be/hlGDEIP19lo
https://youtu.be/nN_7nz1cwg8

Don't see any massive amount of aggression from the AI at all, the reason why is  because even when I do hit them I'm already ahead or I ease off instead of usiing them as a cornering aid.
Try getting a completely clean race in the 1st race and they WILL race cleanly, if you do collide back off, avoid making a pass or they will target you for revenge for the rest of that series of races.

On the flipside when I have been cannoning off the AI the rest of the races in that particular series I expect the AI to respond and drive accordingly i,e, stay well clear of the AI and be ultra clean, this doesn't always work to make them behave but it CAN do....
I can start a fresh game, and at the very first corner I am bullied off the track.
By tanks.

That is crap programming.

I will try the PC Version this evening and post my feedback. Perhaps it is a bit more forgiving than the PS3 version.