Sign in to follow this  

F1's V6 Engine Sound

So with all the current discussion about the sound of the new engines, what do you guys think? Do you like them? Or do you think F1 just isn't the same without a screamy engine?

For me it's ok, they could have sounded worse. But there's a little something missing with the lower volume. Another thing, has anyone seen a car use 8th gear yet? Can't say I have.

I went for OK. I think the engine noise is good, but the noise isn't enough! I have been to F1 in 2002, 2005, 2008, 2012 and 2013, and the thing that I love most is the noise. It honestly gives me goosebumps. I can't imagine these new noises will have the same effect

For me it's ok, they could have sounded worse. But there's a little something missing with the lower volume. Another thing, has anyone seen a car use 8th gear yet? Can't say I have.

apparently the 8th gear will only come in force when they race on the very high speed tracks like Canada and Monza or whatever at least that's what Sky have been saying but like you I haven't seen i9t yet either

I think I saw Alonso hitting 8th in practice earlier in Bahrain so we may see it this weekend

I'm in agreement with @flsince08. The noise itself isn't too bad (it actually reminds me of a bike engine), but they are far, far, too quiet.

I've seen a couple of news reports from the F1 pit lane with cars running behind the commentator: with the old cars you wouldn't have been able to hear a word they were saying, with the new cars they were still perfectly clear!

I think it's an interesting noise. I love the lift off and hearing the turbo and ers whistling and whining. But it doesn't have the same power statement that the v8s or especially the v10s did. Needs more 'umf'

Love it , sure the sheer volume of noise is gone but it was kind of annoying in a winy sort of way. The V6s have so much more depth and the turbo and ers whine on lifting and downshifting is amazing. Love hearing tyre lock ups aswell as the crowd in oz.

Herby007 said:
Think they sound fine. Don't get the hate for them.
neither do I as long as the commentary is good and theres plenty of overtakes and stuff like before I'd still consider it a good show regardless of the engine sound I think it's just a case of getting used to it like the weird noses that were brought in. I though they looked weird at first but they don't bother me now

Not good. Just...no. They just sound dull, nothing exciting about it :(

I voted Meh, don't really like the Engines but i'm not that fussed.

They would sound a whole lot better if they a) revved right up to the 15k rpm mark and b) were louder.

Anybody who has been to live F1. (I have attended over twenty) will appreciate how the sound of first the V12 and then later, the V8, will understand the electric atmosphere that those engines generate. The new V6 just doesn't do it for me. I hate them. I unfortunately, will predict that the quieter engines will turn the fans away in droves.

I have to say I expected them to be a bit louder (although you can't say it's monotone because of the turbo whistle etc) but apparently they did something back in Malaysia and I think the sound from TV is better compared to Australia. Anyone else who thinks Mercedes has the best sound so far?

It's a great sound, it's just it's probably not loud enough. ( I shall reserve my decision until after I've been to the Belgium GP in August). Love the turbo whine on the Ferrari!

Its a nice noise actually, sounds like its got a soul imo. The V8's just got boring and stale and the V6's refresh that, the only thing needed to improve is it needs to be louder. 

Whatever they are doing to the sound for the broadcast these last two races, it's definitely helped with the sound. BUT, it's still not as good as the V8's. It's not terrible, but it's definitely not great :( The on-board camera's give us the best sound (it seems) and they just sound like they are struggling to produce power.