Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[Improvement] Direct steering

You can already calibrate a G25 to go lock to lock with a flick of a wrist so have have far faster steering than any rally driver could possibly achieve in a real car. Of course DR needs to support whatever hardware we have and set it up but going from the lock stop to the other lock stop in a blink of an eye looks weird and feels even weirder!

HornetTHN said:
If you did not install the drivers for your wheel yourself most likely the proper driver is not installed. Logitech does require an install of their software from their website. Windows will install generic drivers to get it working but in order to get all the features of your Logitech equipment you need to go to their website and install them from there.
Yes, all the mentions of ADVANCED GAMEPAD was the one big red flag that I couldn't understand and why it was getting mentioned when a Logitech wheel was being used and is why I suggested they check their Logitech software settings hoping they might realise something on their end was amiss.

OK, I nailed this, thanks guys for drawing my attention to the drivers, I wrongly assumed that my wheel drivers were OK, at plugging in the wheel it does its lock to lock thing and I get a pop up saying drivers installed when, in fact they were not (they were Windows generic drivers)  I grabbed the drivers from Logitec and now, of course, my wheel shows up in the sim and I can calibrate it OK.  I chose not to use the Logitec profiler and set it to "Do not apply profile to games automatically"  Also global profile and global device settings are turned off, for now !  After a few test drives, everything seems OK and I am generally happy with the cars handling. Is there anything in the profiler that you would recommend to improve drive-ability even further, i.e, wheel rotation ?  Whats the sweet spot for this ?  Maybe post a screenie of your Profiler settings ?

On a different note, I think the user interface for controller settings and mapping is horrible, I have to re-do the mapping every time I start the sim and the preset thing is doing my head in, I create and name a preset, then in the next session I go to use it and the options are "Overwrite preset" or "Cancel" , I dont want to do either, I just want to frikin load it ! Where am I going wrong here guys ?  I seem to remember this problem in D3.

Advice welcome. Thanks.

When starting the game, press the start button on the wheel, not Enter on keyboard, otherwise it will wipe the wheel settings. It's been a problem with Codies games for a while.

You could change the degrees of rotation. For me the sweet spot is 540°, but that varies from person to person, just try out a few an see what works best for you. Also, I have turned off center spring for DiRT, the other settings are on 100% (but that's with a DFGT, I think G25 had stronger motors, so you might need different values). Only, when doing this, make a separate profile for DiRT and change it there, under "Game specific settings", that way you wont mess up settings for other games you play (or might play in the future) and that also goes vice versa - when changing settings for other games, you won't mess up DiRT's settings.

Generally it's a good idea to make a universal profile for all the games (like if you're going to use 540° everywhere anyway), and separate profiles for individual games, if you need some specific adjustments (some older games doesn't support separate pedals, so you have to check "report combined pedals", also, the pedals sometimes mess with some non-racing games, as they detect a wheel as a controller, making a profile for that and checking the "report combined pedals" also helps with that)

Didzis, thanks for the helpful reply, a bit of a silly question but which is the START button on a G25 ? Looking through the game settings, I don't see an option to map one.
If I use the mouse to click on START, will my settings be safe ?
The only other game I have is FSX and I use a CH combat stick for that so the profiler doesn't effect it.

Don't know, for the DFGT it's the X button (probably the same with a PS controller). If the wheel gets recognised now, then one of the buttons should probably work. Can you navigate the menus using the wheel? For me it's the same button, that's for accepting menus. Also, you could just try the "press every button and see what happens" method :D And I don't know if mouse will mess anything up or not, this I think is the first codies racing game to have a (sort-of) mouse operated menu

I will give it a try and see what happens !!  I now find that Logitec Profiler is not detecting DR when I run a scan, DR is on my C drive, where is the Executable file normally located ? I did not do a custom install.

To find out what buttons on your wheel are known as in game go to Options and Extras / Controls / Advanced Wheel Settings.
In that screen you should see a list called Buttons above the Steering slider.
When you push a button on your wheel the corresponding one should light up in the Buttons list.
When I first started Dirt Rally I made a rough drawing of my wheel and wrote down the button numbers the game showed.
It didn't take long to remember the few needed and it's a good habit to use the buttons on the wheel, especially the button used for enter, when the game starts because some people lose the controller settings if they use the Enter on the keyboard.

As for the games exe I haven't got Steam installed on my C drive so I may not be totally correct here:
C:\Program Files (x86 ???)\ Steam\SteamApps\common\DiRT Rally\drt.exe

Thanks ADSTA68, My next question on here was going to be about mapping those buttons in the wheel settings but you've nailed it, cheers !

I'm a bit new to Codies games so I appreciate the help.

I am using a Logitec Driving Force Wheel and experience the exact same non-responsiveness which feels like Deadzone is set for 20%, even though it's set for 0% in game settings.  I have every iteration of the Dirt Series PC Games and playing PC racing games with a wheel for over 15 years and never had this severe of a problem with wheel play!  Dirt Rally is unplayable for me.

Here are my entire current settings:
Logitech Profiler (specific game settings):
Overall effects strength: 100%
Spring effect strength: 0%
Damper effect strength: 0%
Enable centering spring: unticked
Centering spring strength: 100%
Use special steering wheel settings: ticked
Report combined pedals: unticked
Degrees of rotation: 360°
Use special game settings: ticked
Allow game to adjust settings: ticked
In game:
Steering deadzone: 0%
Steering saturation: 100%
Steering linearity: -4
Throttle deadzone: 5%
Throttle saturation: 100%
Brake deadzone: 5%
Brake saturation: 100%
Clutch deadzone: 10%
Clutch saturation: 100%
Soft lock: Off
Center steering: Off
Vibration & feedback:
Vibration: On
Self aligning torque: 50
Wheel friction: 0
Tyre friction: 0
Suspension: 50
Tyre slip: 100
Collision: 50
Soft lock: 0
Steering center force: 0

Since the time i posted this thread (thanks everyone for the support btw) i have paid a little more attention to the problem.
And numerous times i have been in a situation  where i needed to quickly steer  to one side. so the following happened:

i flick the control stick to one side and keep it there

i notice the front wheels immediately begin turning (so there is no delay in the processing of my input)

but the wheels turn so slowly it takes  about one second until  they reach the position i commanded a second ago.

now i already passed the point where i needed that steering, thank you very much for nothing.

I have also noticed that the game implements "speed steering", which means that the maximum steering  lock decreases as the car's speed increases. That means if you're at a high AOA  slide at high speed, there is ZERO chance  that you straighten your car, because even after the 1-second response time passes, the wheels never turn all the way to the steering lock required to end the slide.

It's bad enough that the slow steering and decreasing maximum lock is in the game. It's even worse that we have no control over how it operates, let alone turn it off completely.
Who in their right mind designs a system like this and assumes this is what their customers want?

Disobedient automobiles - what a time to be alive! Apparently robot apocalypse is not done by Arnold Schwarzenegger, but by autonomous vehicles.

Direct steering isn't just an improvement. It's an urgently needed bugfix.

JaZoray said:
i flick the control stick to one side and keep it there

i notice the front wheels immediately begin turning (so there is no delay in the processing of my input)

but the wheels turn so slowly it takes  about one second until  they reach the position i commanded a second ago.

What rally car do you know that has an instant steering mechanism like flicking a control stick?

What rally car do you know that has an instant steering mechanism like flicking a control stick?
All real cars  have an instant steering mechanism. ther is a rigid mechanical link between the steering wheel and the front wheels.  The only limiting factor are the arms of the driver.

All cars in the games that i play have a control  mechanism  like a control stick.  My controller. simulating a weak virtual human only serves to alienate the car from the real driver(me)

Well at that point it's simulating the time taken to spin the wheel. BTW you know you can directly change it right?

JZStudios said:
Well at that point it's simulating the time taken to spin the wheel.
Even though someone probably thought implementing this rate change limiting was a good idea, it makes  the game almost impossible to play for many people as the behavior of the car is alienated from the inputs of the player.

Controllers with analog sticks are officially supported. That means a control stick should act like it's the steering input of the virtual car. If codemasters wanted to bludgeon everyone into steering wheel conformity, why not say so openly and make controllers unsupported, so that players who want to make their own consumer choices about which peripherals they want to use can avoid the game?
BTW you know you can directly change it right?
I know that i can't.

JaZoray said:
I know that i can't.
That's funny, because when I used a controller I could. In advanced controller settings or whatever there's a slider for it. They also have a speed/turn limiter, but maybe that's what I changed. I do know I got it to flick out really quick though. I had the same sluggish steering with the XBone controller.

JZStudios said:
JaZoray said:
I know that i can't.
That's funny, because when I used a controller I could. In advanced controller settings or whatever there's a slider for it. They also have a speed/turn limiter, but maybe that's what I changed. I do know I got it to flick out really quick though. I had the same sluggish steering with the XBone controller.
As explained in the OP, i tried every possible combination of advanced controller settings. the change rate limit was never significantly reduced by any setting.

I don't know what to tell you then. Unless they changed it from when I used it, I had the option, and made it go from sluggish to a little too squirrely.

JaZoray said:
is it possible that those  who claim not to notice any steering dampening simply aren't  steering quickly enough to notice the slowness?

No.

As someone else said, if the menu does not show you "advanced wheel settings" but "advance gamepad settings" there is something wrong and the game does not detect your wheel.

bogani said:
JaZoray said:
is it possible that those  who claim not to notice any steering dampening simply aren't  steering quickly enough to notice the slowness?

No.
Make a video like this an demonstrate the wheels turning faster to gain credibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvf7RSn747g

bogani said:
As someone else said, if the menu does not show you "advanced wheel settings" but "advance gamepad settings" there is something wrong and the game does not detect your wheel.
As I understand it he is using a gamepad and frustrated the front wheels in the sim don't turn at the same speed he can flick the stick from full left to full right with his thumb?

bogani said:
As I understand it he is using a gamepad and frustrated the front wheels in the sim don't turn at the same speed he can flick the stick from full left to full right with his thumb?
That is the main criticism of this thread

Codemasters, as soon as you fix this issue, I'll genuinely buy your game. Until then, I'll keep playing Assetto Corsa which has great controller options.

So... I've been playing Dirt Rally with the wrong default steering linearity settings of 0 for the past two years!!!

Today I was experimenting and thought I'd try setting steering linearity to -10.  I had to then increase the sensitivity by reducing steering saturation as the steering range had  then became too large but once that was done the game has suddenly come alive! 

I now have far, far better precision, steering resolution, better FFB and the cars now handle exactly as they should. It feels almost like a real rally sim now and the 205 T16 has gone from being a total animal that was very difficult to drive to being the best car in the game. Cant believe it!

So.... if you arent running on -10 for steering linearity you owe it to yourself to try it. You will thank me later..