Sign in to follow this  

[VIDEO] DiRT Rally - Don't Cut (Work in Progress)

Seeing what @griev0r  could do with some replays and editing tool, I though it might be fun to have a go too.  
My PC is a bit older so the visual quality is a bit clunky in places, but you get the idea...   It was also mentioned recently, that @Hatward personally did the Spectator movement model, so watch out for a cameo appearance from him, giving it stacks in a fluorescent jacket - lol  

https://youtu.be/cxcqKSvhNdw

Yeah, I like how the Welsh bit turned out, though I'll replace the Manta hairpin with the Countryman maybe, to continue that era. Might redo a few other scenes as I am still missing a couple of cars.

Good start!  Some thoughts... 

The music is way too loud, you should try to make it so the song is there but the game/engine sounds definitely shine.  Odd choice of song for a sim racing video, but everyone has different tastes.  I find it really helps the flow and feel of the video if you try to make it 'on time' with the song when you can.  Ex: timing the different shots to change at bass kicks etc.  You'll be editing forever if you try and synch it for every single shot, but try and do it when you can.

Gotta fix that stuttering, you have tons of good shots and nice driving in there but the stuttering kills it.  Also odd that the aspect ratios are different sometimes.  Gotta commend you on the variety though, I truly know how much driving you have to do to make something like this.  All the different cars and countries, and you have no control over which sections are external cams so it makes things very time consuming to get good ones.  I've found that most the time I have an epic crash or great section, it's an onboard shot that I can't change lol.

griev0r said:
Good start!  Some thoughts... 

The music is way too loud, you should try to make it so the song is there but the game/engine sounds definitely shine.  Odd choice of song for a sim racing video, but everyone has different tastes.  I find it really helps the flow and feel of the video if you try to make it 'on time' with the song when you can.  Ex: timing the different shots to change at bass kicks etc.  You'll be editing forever if you try and synch it for every single shot, but try and do it when you can.

Gotta fix that stuttering, you have tons of good shots and nice driving in there but the stuttering kills it.  Also odd that the aspect ratios are different sometimes.  Gotta commend you on the variety though, I truly know how much driving you have to do to make something like this.  All the different cars and countries, and you have no control over which sections are external cams so it makes things very time consuming to get good ones.  I've found that most the time I have an epic crash or great section, it's an onboard shot that I can't change lol.

Yeah, I tried getting the community together to record some runs on Wales with all the different car classes since I don't have a 1080 monitor. Did buy one though, so I can record whatever else I'm still missing.
"All the different cars and countries, and you have no control over which sections are external cams so it makes things very time consuming to get good ones."
Aren't the replay cams always the same though? If you record exterior+interior, you could do some real tricky synching and switch to cockpit cam when it switches to the goofy chase cam.

Yes they are always the same, they go from external TV cams to different on car shots at the exact same moment in the stage every time.  So yes, you could cleverly edit it together, but you will still be stuck with on car shots for most of it.  Wales/Sweet Lamb is especially bad with this as is Monte/Greece before people started heavily complaining about the heavy use of on car shots in replays.  They got much better with replays and more external shots since Germany, but they haven't gone back to fix the original countries yet.  I'd say in Wales you spend 80-90% of the time on/in car during the replays.

That's why I said to the OP how I can feel his pain of trying to get so many different action shots, cause a lot of the time you simply don't have the option of an external camera to get the shot  you need.  I don't even know how many hours I spent in custom trying to get different stages/cars/countries and good shots, and when you watch my video you would never think it was THAT hard to make lol.

One part in my latest video that sticks out like a sore thumb to me is the R4 Subaru shot.  That entire snowy/icey section I had like 20+ awesome hairpin car sliding around on the ice hitting the rev limiter, but that was the only external shot for most of that section of the stage.  I was pretty disappointed that's the best shot I could get.  The behind the shoulder view is cool sometimes, but the 90 degree steering really makes it look lame.  I use 540 and he barely moves the wheel at all.

For the most of the start of Sweet Lamb, for example, most cars have a long rear-facing GoPro type shot of the boot-lid, from the roof.  No Good!

Admittedly, I just stitched together what I already had on the hard drive to see how it would look, hence the real mixed bag of aspect ratios and quality!  Some replays, most in fact, still have the in-game track on them, so I had to fade them right back.  Iv tried to beat-match most of it, but the just went with cam change intervals in the Sweet Lamb bowl.  I picked the track hastily just to get going, but ultimately, il change the music all together.  I even tried to theme the vid with some of the lyrics eg: slow you down - slow mo, if you tumble, if you die : massive Finnish roll  :)

But yeah, I need a better capture solution to improve fps, really becomes apparent on the slow-mo stuff